Anyone from Bundall?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Anyone from Bundall?

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:33 am

G'Day

I'm still trying to get any history possible on my Tamari find, a google found this courtesy of Hotfrog but the phone no is wrong.

Tamari Cycles Italia
shop 6 84 bundall rd, bundall, qld 4217

p: 07383887

If anybody up that way was able to trundle past at some point and see whether the listing is even faintly correct, I'll owe you a beer :D

Cheers and thanks.
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

elantra

Re: Anyone from Bundall?

Postby elantra » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:45 am

Hello Mulger bill
I am not a coastie but i know that part of the world well.
I think the phone number is missing 2 digits
maybe try 5538 3887
P.S. That part of the coast will be really busy this sunday, i think it is the day of the Gold Coast marathon, which course will be close to that area.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:09 pm

Shaun

You'll still need the 07, inserting the 55 after it. However, I just phoned the number you gave in the new format and it is a private number. It's new owner has no knowledge of Tamari.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:22 pm

I'm on to something. Will let you know if I hear more. Probably next week.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks for the help lads, I really appreciate it.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

colafreak

Postby colafreak » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:30 pm

I'm from that way and from memory there is no bicycle shop there, otherwise I'd have probably been aware of it.

I can't remember anything significantly different from what the Google street view shows, namely nothing.
Please pardon my ignorableness

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks CF.

I'm :? about the Hotfrog listing, would that phone no. have maybe been right before the transition to eight digits? The only other reference I've been able to come across was this advert found in Australasian Cycling March 1986 and kindly posted by stevendavid75. That phone no. didn't work either :(

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:42 am

We changed over to 55 infront of rural numbers I guess about 98. That number is very old then.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

griffo1962

Postby griffo1962 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:30 pm

Tamari are long gone. As beauyboy said we changed over to 8 digit ph no.s a long time ago. I seem to remember they moved soemwhere else and I lost trac of them. I've got a freind wh was in the bike shop biz back then. I'll ask him if he remembers them.

griffo

rym51

Postby rym51 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi
I am new to this site and was recently doing a search on Tamari Cycles when I came across your post and pictures.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the photo's. When I was seventeen I purchsed a new Tamari the same colour and model as the one in your photos from
Tamari Cycles - Bundall. That was twenty five years ago and it cost me $ 800. I can't remember what running gear it had but it was a boutique local bike shop on the Gold Coast that imported it's own frames from Italy. I'd love to track down my old steed and who knows it may be the one you have. I hope it is still doing you proud.
Regards

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Just seen this...

G'Day rym, thanks for bringing this up, any history is a good thing. She's had to sit on the back burner for a while but I'm gonna do her proud. Any more info is gratefully received.

Cheers
Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Jayoz334

Postby Jayoz334 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi
I have all the info you require

I raced for Tamari Cycles during the early 80s.
I can tell you who imported the bikes and the history of tamari cycles.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:16 pm

G'day

Any chance you could post what you know here? I'm sure there's plenty of people around here interested enough in hearing about it and about yourself aswell.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Tamari Cycles has long gone. In the early 80's there was a restaurant on the Gold Coast called Tamari, run by a gentleman of Italian origin, and he had a teenage son with some cycling talent. He became a sponsor of the Nerang Amateur Cycling Club, and the club became known as the "Tamari Gold Coast Cycling Club. I still have my knicks and shirt from the club. The same gentlman set up a Bicycle shop called "Tamari Cycles", and it was located on the road into the Gold Coast Race Course. It was managed by Geoff Reardon, a respected cycling coach and official, and another well respected veteran cyclist, John Mildenhall, known as "Stretch" because of his unsuitability at the local horse stables, was the other part of the management team. I had the pleasure of being a member of the club, and found the Cycle shop to be well conducted by good men. Unfortunately both are now deceased.
Mulgar, if ever you want a run down on Cycle shops in Kyneton, let me know. Have you come across a "Kynstar" yet.?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Thank you master, everything is appreciated and you've corroborated other sources.
Didn't know of any Kyneton brands but I'm a newbie in the Macedon Ranges (foothills), only been in SBY for 20years. :o
London Boy 29/12/2011

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Thank you master, everything is appreciated and you've corroborated other sources.
Didn't know of any Kyneton brands but I'm a newbie in the Macedon Ranges (foothills), only been in SBY for 20years. :o
Mulgar, for more info on Tamari I suggest you go to the forum on the "roadgrime" site, which covers SE qld cycling. Ask your questions there and I am certain that you will find lots of people with knowledge of the Gold Coast Cycling scene from the 80's.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:06 pm

Thanks again master, that I will.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rotationlife

Postby rotationlife » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi All,

I just picked up a Tamari bike - Grey with Exage Sport pedals + RD and FD... Universal lever + brakes with Mavic MA2 wheel (Suuntor Hubs)

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Good work. Have you spent the last 8 years looking for it? The digital age is now apon us lol. Any chance of some photos please?