Disappointing PA Hospital bikeway open

Disappointing PA Hospital bikeway open

Postby mark31 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:21 pm

I rode the new bikeway over Ipswich Road on Sunday with my new trailer.
(or I rode most of it anyway, after I was out of sight of the guard who told me "No riding")

If it was only ever intended to be an off-ramp to PA Hospital, it's adequate, if expensive.

But, for something that's supposed to be the first part of a quality link all the way through to UQ, it's rather disappointing.

It's awfully narrow for a shared path intended to be a cycling arterial, and there's an access directly from the busway platform onto the path, which has poor visibility, and the peds are then expected to cross the cycle lanes to the ped lane.
The only logic I can see to have the ped path on the outer edge, is for peds to look out at the vista of Ipswich Road and the Hospital (there's even two little platforms for this purpose).

Has anybody else experienced this white elephant?
mark31

by BNA » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:12 pm

BNA

Re: Disappointing PA Hospital bikeway open

Postby MountGower » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Leaving one's home is to experience the white elephant that is cycling in Brisbane. One is foolish to expect anything other than the very worst.
MountGower

Postby Max » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Wow, you're a real downer, MG. I love cycling around Brisbane. Sure, there are some areas that need work, but what city doesn't have areas that need work? Things are improving, slowly but surely. Meanwhile, find some routes you like, and ride 'em :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby 1st XV » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Unfortunately, I dont think it is exclusively Brissy's problem. I have lived in most major cities, and its the same pretty much everywhere. except for maybe canberra........ :roll:
1st XV

Postby beauyboy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:36 am

Ok so the thing is open. I have to say I am not surprised about your complaints. We brought this up with sate government but they said it was adiquate. I agreed to disagree. I will also have a look on Wednesday as my other half is keen to have a look.

As for the guard, why was he telling you not to ride on a bikeway?

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby mark31 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:17 pm

beauyboy wrote:As for the guard, why was he telling you not to ride on a bikeway?

I think because it was the open day for the busway, and they were expecting lots of people, and they're always paranoia about personal injury claims at these events. It was the tail end of the day when I was there though, and didn't see any other punters.

I will personally find the link very useful for weekend bike rides from Fairfield to Norman Creek, it's just that it's not up to scratch for an arterial commuter link.
mark31

Postby DionM » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:10 pm

My main complaint is that what do you do when you are heading from PA to UQ? You ride along that backroad behind the PA, to the train station ... and then what?

I've resorted to walking my bike across the 3 sets of ped x-ing to safely get over to the other side (cemetary) of that major intersection with Annerly and Fairfield roads (I think?) and then riding up the narrow footpath; especially with my son in a chariot trailer behind me. The road is just too busy to negotiate otherwise.

It's a pity; because but for that couple of hundred metre stretch, it could be a great UQ-Buranda-SE Freeway cycling link.
DionM

Postby 1st XV » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:58 am

Are they planning to upgrade and or extend in the future? Maybe its just a starting point from which to build a larger and far reaching cycleway system? atleast thats what im hoping! :lol:
It would be great if we could get a path like the M7 cycleway in sydneys west, perhaps along the M1 to the nth suburbs? seeing as we arent allowed to ride on mwy shoulders up here.......... :roll: From memory, the M7 Cycleway cost approx. $50 mill???
1st XV

Postby beauyboy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:03 am

I know it is very disappointing how the Bikeway just finishes the way it is.
I am yet to go for a ride on it .
The council allocated some funds in this years budget to annerly road in relation to cycling. It would be interesting to see what will be done.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Return to Queensland