Cheap Bike near UQ?

EclipseEntity

Cheap Bike near UQ?

Postby EclipseEntity » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:15 pm

Hello all, I'm an international student from America and currently attend University of Queensland St. Lucia Campus. I lived in Yeronga so it's relatively close to the campus. I'm wondering if there are any bicycles for hire (Rent) or any cheap bike (below $80?) I can buy around St. Lucia or Yeronga area so I can bike to university occasionally. I am a really causal biker who only need the bike for about 3 months. I really want to enjoy the biking experience along the river, since I seldom get to bike back in where I came from. I hope you guys would be able to assist me, thank you.
Last edited by EclipseEntity on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chanboy

Re: UQ Bike for Hire?

Postby Chanboy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:27 am

Have a look through Gumtree. A free online community classifieds website.
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/f-Stuff- ... atIdZ18314

They occasionally have cheap bikes for sale...

not sure about the hiring situation in QLD... but it's unlikely to be cost efficient if you need it for 3 months...

elantra

Re: Cheap Bike near UQ?

Postby elantra » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:56 pm

Hello. hope you do enjoy this area, for an urban environment it does not get much better than this.
Anyway this suggestion is in addition to the "gumtree" buy and sell internet site (posted above)

In many brisbane suburbs there are shops called "Cash Converters" which sell lots of second-hand stuff
I think americans call these sort of shops "pawn brokers" or something like that ???

Recently i purchased some electrical stuff from the Cash Converters at Indooroopilly.
This is easy to get to from St Lucia by bus.
I suggest you go there and see if there are any bikes for sale.

But first there is a bicycle shop on the Uni campus St Lucia. (behind the Commonwealth Bank in the Student centre)
That would probably be the best place to start i know the guys there they deserve your support.
Good luck and have fun riding.

tomns

Postby tomns » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:51 pm

Talk to bike revolution at west end if you get a chance, although $80 is pretty low

Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:24 pm

Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

soc

Postby soc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:45 pm

I noticed the new 99 Bikes store in Fortiude Valley had a sign out yesterday saying 2nd hand bikes. Haven't been in there yet, dunno what sort of prices they'd have on them...

EclipseEntity

Postby EclipseEntity » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:56 pm

Thanks for the info, I've looked on eBay and Gumtree, and found some cheap bikes ranging from $60 to $100 dollars. I'm sure they can last for a least 3 months. Again, thanks everyone for the assistance.