Kurilpa (formally Tank St) Bridge to open 4th October

Kurilpa (formally Tank St) Bridge to open 4th October

Postby beauyboy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:56 pm

Better access to for West End cyclists this October. Just think No more having to use the Victoria Bridge either the shared path or the BAZ zone Yaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh :lol:

www.qld.gov.au
Minister for Public Works and Information and Communication Technology
The Honourable Robert Schwarten
Thursday, September 17, 2009

Date set for Kurilpa Bridge opening

Public Works Minister Robert Schwarten today invited Brisbane residents and visitors to join him and the Premier on October 4 for the official opening of Kurilpa Bridge.

“I encourage people to come along to experience being among the first to walk over Kurilpa Bridge, the world’s first tensegrity pedestrian bridge,” Mr Schwarten said.

“By tensegrity, I mean that the bridge balances tension and compression components to produce a light but incredibly strong structure.

“I’m thrilled to be opening this world-first structure during 2009 as a highlight of Queensland’s 150th anniversary celebrations.”

The official ceremony on October 4 will begin at 10:30am and will include a plaque reveal, balloon release and the first official walk across the bridge.

Following the opening ceremony, community celebrations will be held at Kurilpa Park until 2.30pm, and will include performances from local entertainers and children’s activities.

Kurilpa Bridge is the Queensland Government’s newest cycle and pedestrian bridge, linking the city centre and South Brisbane, completing a pedestrian and bicycle loop linking the city and South Bank via the Goodwill Bridge.

Currently around 53 000 people per week cross the Goodwill Bridge and it is expected that similar numbers will cross the Kurilpa Bridge per week

It will provide an environmentally-friendly and enjoyable walking and cycling pathway to the city from South Brisbane.

BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

by BNA » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:38 am

BNA

Re: Kurilpa (formally Tank St) Bridge to open 4th October

Postby hillclimber » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:38 am

Last week the narrow covered area on the bike path under the bridge was removed. This makes for a much less dangerous ride, as people would often veer over the center line on that blind corner... although hammers falling from the sky are pretty dangerous also!
hillclimber

Postby elantra » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:15 pm

I am not yet convinced that it has visual artistic merit.

But as long as it functions well i will be happy.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby beauyboy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:09 am

I agree, during the day it looks like a spiders web but at night it is quite striking and appealing.

I toke photos yesterday I will load them a soon as I work out how.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby elantra » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:42 pm

beauyboy wrote:I agree, during the day it looks like a spiders web but at night it is quite striking and appealing.

I toke photos yesterday I will load them a soon as I work out how.

Donald

Hi Donald how are you goin with those photos mentioned above ?

I agree from some angles the bridge does look interesting indeed.

But looking along its length from the north end it looks like a dog's breakfast.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby beauyboy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:36 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19411
Me being lazy I only took to pic of the bridge as such and they were of the northern landing point I contained them in the link above which is the thread for the George St Bike lanes

I will be there on the opening day this Sunday with my spouse who is more eager to see it open then I am. No more Having to use Southbank to access the Culture Center

Donald
beauyboy

Postby elantra » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:30 am

Its open.

Went to the opening day carnival, was a perfect afternoon for it, even a few spots of rain amidst the strong october sunshine.
I think the bridge itself is an extremely unusual design and will be talked about for years to come. :?:

I am grateful to have it. :D
elantra

Postby winona_rider » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:15 pm

ok! i have walked the bridge twice, and ridden the bridge 5 times now from all directions!
observations:
NORTH SIDE:
1) connecting to the bridge from the roma street side is the most tricky. If you turn and hit George the wrong way along the bi-directional bike lanes - that's all well and good until you get stuck at the lights for ages and AGES to cross george into tank. Plus, I ask: "where do you wait?" You have to basically jump onto the footpath again just so yr not blocking the bike path. So to avoid this complete schmozzle my advice is to go straight ahead up hershell and then turn left onto north quay (either by road or footpath) and then up tank st and do a 180 to join the bridge.
2) if you're coming along george in the left lane the turn into the 50m Tank st bike path is quite tight and full of pedestrians crossing. so slow down or work out a crafty alternative like i did. :)
3) coming from the bicentennial bike path you can hit it via at least 2 ramps i think. the one at or about turbot street and the one at makerston street.
but crossing north quay is the challenge. i have found you can move up north quay in the part of the right hand lane that is redundant and get near enough to tank to shoot across onto the footpath or just up the road. The makerston side you will prolly have to wait for the ped crossing lights.
4) If you are heading north after crossing the bridge and you wanna hook up with the roma street parklands - my advice is to turn RIGHT up george and then left into that turbot st buslane. (Then left into roma street.) If you turn left you will be eventually stuck on narrow footpath and reduced to a pace somewhat below that of someone pushing a pram through Westfield Chermside. trust me.

SOUTH SIDE:
From Montague it is pretty straight forward. From Grey you can turn right at GOMA or you can go straight ahead like you are about to go up the william jolly bridge and then jump up onto the curb via the ramp, turn left straight away thru a tiny park, right onto fleet lane and then right into montague. werd
winona_rider

Postby beauyboy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:30 pm

OK I am going to lock this thread.
Can all further discussion happening in the "Opening" thread

Donald
beauyboy

Return to Queensland