George St Bi-directional on road bike lanes

beauyboy

George St Bi-directional on road bike lanes

Postby beauyboy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:06 am

As part of the opening and works for the Kurilpa (formally Tank St) Bridge the BCC has added a Bi-directional Bikelane to George St between Herschel St and Terbot St On friday I went down to have a look and take some photos. Anywhere you see red is a transtion of some type weather a hump or footpath to road

Looking Up Hershel St. The stupid thing about this lane is that for a cyclist to access the George St Conter flow lane they (on perpose) have to mount the foot path and reality weave between waiting pedestrians and such. I would of liked to of seen the lane continued around the corner.

Looking down George from Hershel corner

Looking up george From Tank street corner

Looking down george from tank street corner

Looking across George to Tank Street Bike lanes

From tank street bridge landing point

TanK street Bridge landing

Looking down George from Tank street corner (operside side of george this time)

Looking up george from Terbot> the Lane finishes here and any conter flowing bikes have to mount the foot path here to join terbot street which I do not believe is the best solution. But it is better then nothing
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Zynster

Re: George St Bi-directional on road bike lanes

Postby Zynster » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:44 am

Thanks for the report beauyboy. I'll give it a go when they remove all the barriers.

I don't like the idea of being forced to use Turbot St though. I think I'll be sticking to the Victoria Bridge (the glass minefield) and Elizabeth St (the 40k zone....yeah right :roll: ).
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

1st XV

Postby 1st XV » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:54 am

beauyboy wrote:But it is better then nothing
True, it has to start somewhere, doesnt it? If its another stepping stone to the kind of infrastructure we crave, I guess its a good thing............. :?:

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:52 pm

it looks bizarre, especially bikes having to negotiate footpaths at peak hour.

as a graphic designer i make things that are intuitive. i fail to understand why urban planners fail in this department. i think it has something to do with these people not having much imagination

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:13 am

I went down and had a look yesturday. It does look confusing. When does it open?
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

munga

Postby munga » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:31 am

opens today?

Max

Postby Max » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:40 am

I rode in the CBD today for the very first time, and stumbled upon one of these lanes. A two-way bike lane on the right-hand side of the road! I had no idea how to get to it from where I was (far left hand side) and ended up having to cross the three lanes to get to it. Thankfully there were no cars, but how would anyone do this in peak hour without getting squished?

I'm giving serious thought to commuting (Mitchelton to Archerfield!), and going through the city might be a necessary evil.. I'd rather not get run over if I can avoid it. Where are the actual official entrances to these bike lanes? Can somebody put it on a Google map or bikely or something?

Also, I ended up walking from the riverside bikeway to George St; is this the safest approach during peak hour, or is riding on the road an option? Sorry for the dumb questions. I should've checked this all while I was, you know, actually there, but in my defence I was in a hurry to get home so MaxBabe and I can go furniture shopping. :oops:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:50 am

Alot of people to ride in the Right hand lane on george street out of the need to exit into Turbot street to access Roma St Parklands and the Normanby cycle link.
when I come off the Bicentennial Bikeway I exit on the Ann st
I have posted alot of images of the George st lanes in another thread for the "Kurilpa Bridge opening"

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Max

Postby Max » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:04 pm

Those are excellent photos, beauyboy, thankyou!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:15 pm

So the reason for the bike lane going the opposite direction to traffic is to what - get to turbot st from the bridge? I can't see any other reason for it - it doesn't exactly go anywhere. Going in the direction of the traffic, you'd either be in the left lane to go left on to the new bridge, or turn right into turbot st before the bike lane to go roma st or towards the valley?

irsk

Postby irsk » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:29 am

I rode across the new bridge from Southbank this morning, and I must admit that it was very confusing when I hit George Street. In particular, there doesn't seem to be any easy way to get to the Bicentennial Bikeway. If you go left when you get to George Street, the cycle lane just stops after a block or so and you are on the wrong side of the road. There is a complete lack of signage at that point. I don't understand why the bridge is not better connected to the Bicentennial bikeway.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:33 pm

There would of been a direct link to the Ann St bikeway Ramp except the soil was not stable.

Can all futher discussion be directed to the "Opening" thread
I will lock this thread.

Donald