Bikeway/pedestrian way near QUT

Bikeway/pedestrian way near QUT

Postby ekib » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:30 pm

There is a shared bikeway/pedestrian path that leads from the city to QUT garden point campus and the Goodwill Bridge.
I notice that at some high tides, the Brisbane river splashes water over the bikeway and leaves lots of debris on the path. Does anyone know of any plans for a bikepath that will be higher above the river?

Ekib.
The End.
ekib

by BNA » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:39 pm

BNA

Re: Bikeway/pedestrian way near QUT

Postby beauyboy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:39 pm

Yes this bike path can be a problem especially when the river is running above it's normal level during heavy rain.

The path has a special arrangement. The path is owned by the State Government but is maintained by the BCC. To the best of my knowledge there are no plans for it to be upgraded. This is even though the path is very near capacity if not at capacity.

My best suggestion it to call council if there is ever debris on the path that would cause an accident.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby rhancock » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:53 pm

Wouldn't that path have been part of the North Bank redevelopment? I know all the crappy bits under the freeway are. When North Bank got canned, they said they'd do a quick renovation to make it more commuter and tourist friendly.

Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbank_(Brisbane )
Edit: and here: http://www.dip.qld.gov.au/projects/resi ... -bank.html
rhancock

Postby rhancock » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:00 pm

The announcement from the state government finishes with this:

The government is now undertaking a safety audit of the area.

The safety audit is assessing the features and conditions of the public spaces with a view to ensuring a safe environment for users including pedestrians, cyclists, City Cat and car park patrons. The safety audit is reviewing safety measures such as improved lighting, security cameras, signage and maps, and fencing and barriers.

Recommendations arising from the safety audit will be available from April 2009.

Anyone seen any sign of a safety audit?
rhancock

Postby elantra » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:01 am

this "northbank" stretch of the riverside bike route is dodgy +++

Obviously an upgrade to this area would bee on someone's "radar" because it carries a lot of cyclists and pedestrians.
Yet it is very mickey mouse engineering and basically dangerous for a number of reasons
If my memory serves me correctly this is the part of the bike route where a uni student was bashed up and thrown into the river and almost died a few yrs ago.

I guess the problem is there are so many other big infrastructure projects that an upgrade to this area will probably wait till there is another disaster along here.

That unfortunately is the way things tend to work with with prioritizing politically sensitive projects
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby beauyboy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:05 am

I reviewing the actions that the CBD BUG has taken over the last year I found that it was requesting information about the Report.
Accordingly it was advised that the report was completed and would be released.
We are still waiting on the last bit.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby rhancock » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks for checking Donald. I suspect you could be waiting a long time!
rhancock

Postby ekib » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:47 am

There seems to be construction of some sort next to this section of bike/pedestrian way.
Any ideas what this work is about?
The End.
ekib

Postby rhancock » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:09 pm

If you mean under the freeway at the QUT car park, there is a long term maintenance plan for the freeway which includes replacing bearings and stuff under the freeway, so they'll be working there for a couple of years.

I did also see some cherry pickers and stuff nearer the North Quay ferry terminal, but I assumed it was just more work on the freeway.
rhancock

Postby NMX516 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:24 pm

rhancock wrote:If you mean under the freeway at the QUT car park, there is a long term maintenance plan for the freeway which includes replacing bearings and stuff under the freeway, so they'll be working there for a couple of years.

I did also see some cherry pickers and stuff nearer the North Quay ferry terminal, but I assumed it was just more work on the freeway.

Well if it's going to take them that long, hopefully they will put up some permanent fencing instead of the temporary arrangement which was half fallen over, with posts aiming up at passing peds and cyclists last weekend... :roll:
NMX516

Return to Queensland