Missing kurilpa, bicentennial Link? reason, money

Missing kurilpa, bicentennial Link? reason, money

Postby beauyboy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:28 am

As many of you would already be aware the Kurilpa Bridge lacks a direct link to the Bicentennial Bikeway. Many of us believes this hinders it's abilty to generate traffic and force people to continue to use the :evil: southbank bikeway (where is that vomit smily). A direct link was originally proposed in planning stages but the CBD BUG was told that the land was to unstable. However new information has come to light and it seams that the Government instead wanted to cut corners.
(Sounds formilure? remember the Normanby cycle link, the government wanted to cut out the southern access to collage road, now with that included it would be safe to say half of all users of the link come from the Southern access to collage road)

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au
'Too expensive' to link riverside cycle paths: Government
TONY MOORE
October 30, 2009

The State Government did not connect Brisbane's Bicentennial Bikeway along the Brisbane River to the new $63 million cross-river Kurilpa pedestrian and cycleway because it was too expensive, a spokesman admitted last night.

Bicycle Queensland had at first asked that the new bridge join the Bicentennial Bikeway, which runs along Coronation Drive and through to the Queensland University of Technology.

It has proven to be one of the most popular cycle paths in the city.

The Kurilpa Bridge opened in October with cyclists riding from the bridge down dedicated cycling lanes on to Tank Street and George Street for one block.

It provides a link to the privately-run cycle centre in King George Square but does not link to other bike paths.

The fact the two popular cycleways do not meet remains a lively discussion point amongst Brisbane cyclists.

"They looked at it back in January 2005 but they decided it would not be possible," a spokesman for Public Works Minister Rob Schwarten said.

He said the design team found a long incline would be needed for cyclists to rise more than 15 metres from the Bicentennial Bikeway to the new bridge.

"They looked at lifts but found they would need two lifts and that would be too expensive and impractical," the spokesman said.

Cyclists ride in a wide circle on the South Brisbane side to rise up on to the bridge, while the Riverside Expressway prevents this on the city side of the bridge.

Bicycle Queensland development officer Andrew Demack said the organisation had raised the issue of linking the bikeway with the bridge.

"It would have been really nice in a perfect world but Brisbane is not part of a perfect world yet," Mr Demack said.

"We understand that it was under consideration but there all sorts of things that are under consideration at different points in time that don't happen."

Bicycle Queensland is pressing for the cycle lanes along George Street to be pushed down to Parliament House and up Edward Street from the Botanical Gardens.

They are now also focusing attention on Brisbane's north, saying there is a break in the chain of bike paths approaching the Royal Brisbane Hospital on Bowen Bridge Road.

Mr Demack said Bicycle Queensland had approached the Airport Link project team about new bikeways from Brisbane's inner-northern suburbs.

A spokeswoman for the Airport Link project said new bikeways would be in place progressively until 2014.

They will include:

- new cycleways along Breakfast Creek under Lutwyche Road to the new Lutwyche bus station;

- a land bridge and cycleway at Bowen Hills as part of the Clem 7 project;

- cycle paths near Kedron Brook through to Sandgate Road and out to the Airport and;

- new bikeways through Kalinga Park at Clayfield
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

by BNA » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:12 pm

BNA

Re: Missing kurilpa, bicentennial Link? reason, money

Postby rhancock » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:12 pm

Its not so much that they thought it would be too expensive, I did a concept study when they first started the bridge as part of my engineering course, and its a long way down! Its just the way they just can't be bothered to make the effort to think up a decent solution. There must be a way to get a link from the bikeway to the bridge, even if its a road link from the top of tank st. Smart thing to do would have been to shut off tank st completely, then all it'd need would be a set of lights at the bottom of tank st across North Quay and the problem's solved. Not that hard, but I think its situations like this that demonstrate that the Council's and State Govt's commitment to cycling is only politically motivated, without any real commitment to changing the way people travel.

Rant Off. For today anyway.
rhancock

Postby beauyboy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:31 am

Yes you are right, providing a link all the way down from the Kurilpa Bridge down to Bicentennial would of been impractical But they did not need to do this. As we both know the main limiting factor is PWD complience.
The current bicentennial bikeway Ann Street off ramp brings cyclists up onto North Quey is aprromity 120 meters from the where the Ann street Ramp peaks at North Quey to the kurilpa bridge. As the Ann Street ramp is existing there is no need for it to be PWD complient. However the a ramp coming down from the Kurilpa Bridge to North Quey would be long enought (that 120m) for it to have a 1 in 20 slope with a rest areas (1 in 50) making it complient with PWD requirements.
This is the point that the CBD BUG argued when we had the talks with them.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby elantra » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:37 pm

I recently had to walk over the Kurilpa bridge to get from a parked car at south bris to the city hall.

This was at 7 pm on a saturday night and Ithought it would be easier to do this walk than drive and find park in town.
Yes it was a nice walk and i am thankful for it but did they have to make the GOMA on-ramp so b----- long ?
For walking it seems unnecessarily long and time consuming.
Maybe a lift or a ladder would be a good idea at the GOMA end.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby beauyboy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:10 pm

Yes a set of stairs would be good.

Donald
beauyboy

Return to Queensland