Any info on the Gateway Bridge Cycle Path?

Re: Any info on the Gateway Bridge Cycle Path?

Postby Abby » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:07 pm

Used the Gateway for the Mt Gravatt-to-Airport precinct commute this morning.

Quite enjoyed it. Thought the bridge path itelf is very well designed and is a lot of fun to ride over. Plenty of run-off at both ends, with great sight lines and no blind corners.

Approach going via The Muzz and Queensport Rd was easy. Didn't realise how steep Queensport Rd was... :oops: Nice little warm-up for the bridge...

Northside connection is a bit messy. Paths/route are all there - its just that directional signage could be better.

So distance-wise, its a 20% distance shrinkage for me (from 24km using Story Bridge route, to 20km using Gateway). But time-wise it was actually the same (likely thanks to the 'rolling hills' of Creek Rd, Queensport Rd and the Gateway).

:D

Cheers,
Abby
Abby

by BNA » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:59 pm

BNA

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:59 pm

Good to hear that someone is using it for it's purpose. Do you find the route more pleasent then the Storey Bridge route?

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby DionM » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Just been looking at the older map (11-May) on nearmap.com (great aerial mapping site BTW, closer range than google maps - done using planes).

Anyway how do you get on it from the southside ? As you come up Queensport Rd, do you turn right onto Lytton Rd, shoot over the motorway, and is there a ramp taking you down to the bridge on your left? Or do you have to ride right around and under the bridges and double back?

On the northside I can see it is a bit messy, and it looks like you take a road bridge to get over the train line to get to the path that takes you to Nudgee Rd?

I hope to give it a run soon. I expect it will take me a bit longer than going via the city (from Coorparoo), but it might be nice for a change of scene.
DionM

Postby gordy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:48 pm

Come up Queensport to the lights at Lytton Rd. There is a pathway on either side of Lytton Rd. The one going East gets you to the track. The one going West takes you from the track back to Queensport. They are both one way shared paths.
It sounds confusing, but it will make sense when you see it.
Oh, and you have to cross Lytton Rd at the lights.
gordy

Postby BruceGray » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Can anyone with a GPS computer give me an accurate gradient reading on the north and south climbs over the newer Gateway Bridge path in Brisbane? A mate says they are 5.5% or thereabouts, with the northside climb a bit steeper than the southside.
BruceGray

Postby marinmomma » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Yesterday we rode over from the southside, hubby's Garmin read 6%.

hth
Lisa
marinmomma

Previous

Return to Queensland