Bike path commuting in brisbane

Ozchuck

Bike path commuting in brisbane

Postby Ozchuck » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:18 pm

So I do enjoy riding along the bikeway that runs along the centenary,
However,

I gotta ask,
If I buy a new roadie with nice shiny carbon fork and seat stays and whatnot, will the bike fall apart, or will it rape my butt with the vibrations?

It's kinda bumpy is my main concern, I'm worried that nice expensive lightweight wheels, carbon bits etc might fall apart with frequent riding over the cracks in the pavement etc.

Max

Re: Bike path commuting in brisbane

Postby Max » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:32 pm

I've done that path plenty of times on my Cannondale. It's not going to fall apart just from a few bumps here and there. I'm sure your bike will be fine. Your butt will be fine too. :)

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Trust me that path is nothing compared with Kedron Brook.

The bike will be fine.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Bikes have to withstand rail lines and junk like that, a few cracks are nothing.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:11 pm

It's a worry easily solved. Buy 2 bikes! One to commute on and one to weekend ride

Realistically, I'd be more worried about what happens to the beastie when you actually get it to work. It is more likely to get damaged in the bike racks than on the road.

One piece of advice is to make sure you get decent rims for commuting as the wheels do take a hiding.

If you think that bike path is rough you should try some of the Sydney roads. I've ridden both and Bris roads/paths are paradise in comparison.

rimmeraj

Postby rimmeraj » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi,
I commute daily from Moggill Road into the city along that bike path on a road bike (approx 9kg)
it's not that rough. you should not have any problems.

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Okay, cool.

Was slightly concerned because my fixie rims went out of true over similar surfacing, and everybody constantly seems to complain the roadie wheels arent strong enough.

I seem to do a squillion K's a week now, so it seems like it would be worthwhile to buy a more fun, faster machine. (currently riding a 90's era roady with downtube shifters)

I do have aspirations to do fast bunch rides, maybo some racing on the same bike I commute on (after 15 or more hours riding during the week, additional weekend rides dont always seem so attractive, haha)

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:08 pm

IMO Brisbane roads are worse by far than the bike paths (at least regarding roughness)...so you'd have to hope that your roadie would survive the paths or you are in serious trouble on the roads. :wink:

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:44 pm

I started commuting in from Brookfield to the city late last year along the Centenary Hwy biketrack. I bought nice new CF road bike Oppy C5 just before Christmas and am loving it - no problems with track surface. Wheels are only 500kms old but not had a flat yet etc.

BTW if you think Centenary bikeway is bad, take a trip along the Sth East freeway biketrack. I commuted from Brookfield to Eight Mile Plains on Friday via city (32kms each way). The new bits are good but the old path between Buranda Stn and Marshall Rd is abysmal and frankly I will not ride that again on a road bike. The path is very narrow, bumpy, covered with leaves, flowers, seed pods etc. Tight blind corners etc etc etc.

The road bike is a good choice for the Centenary commute. The MTN bike would be a must if you had to do the SE Freeway commute or not use it on that section.

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:42 pm

mmm, I like the path, but the way people coddle road rims had me worried.

It certainly is fun, and I like doing it on my current bike, but if a more expensive bike was gonna fall apart.

I hear people talk about "training wheels" and hw they shouldnt use their racing bikes for a commute.

Is that valid for Australia, where we dont use road salt and such?

Max

Postby Max » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:39 am

It's not like you're bunny-hopping your bike every 10 metres or so, is it? If not, your regular rims should be fine. I have entry-level road/race wheels - Mavick Aksiums. They're what came with the bike (a Cannondale Synapse 4). They are just fine for commuting. No warping, bending, broken spokes or other complaining from the wheels. I think the people going on about training rims vs race rims must have very special fancy-dancy racing rims to carry on about only using them for racing.

Rhubarb: That section of path is shocking, isn't it? I was planning to use it to commute from the Northside to the Southside, but after having ridden it once on my road bike, no way I'm ever doing it again - especially not in the dark or in less than ideal weather. The BCC/state government really need to fix it up. It's a death trap. There is one ridiculously tight downhill S-bend that actually has a sign recommending riders dismount for safety. This, on a "bike path"!!!

I decided to half commute via train until the weather cools down. Then, I'll be using the Centenary path to get me to/from work.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:08 am

I never quite understood that that "dismount sign", a much more appropriate sign would of been, "Low Gear", but then again that would of been to much sense.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Well, my rear wheel developed a buckle. LOL!

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:51 am

Your joking. In one week your bike has got a buckle in the rear rim :shock:

Glad i don't have a road bike :wink:

Donald

Max

Postby Max » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:50 am

LOL ozchuck, what are you doing to your poor bike?! What sort of wheel is it?

Max

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:14 pm

A mavic such and such.

Not sure on the actual name, as I didnt take it to the office today.
Will check though, but its probably like mid-range from 7 years ago or something.

Also, I've been riding it pretty gentle, as I have a MTB and fixie for thrashing.