http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... -n8qn.html
Bike hire scheme hits first gear TONY MOORE
February 2, 2010 - 5:15AM Be the first to comment
Brisbane's bike-hire scheme will move into gear this morning when tenders go out to build the first of the 150 bike parking stations between St Lucia and Newstead.
Brisbane City Council has revealed the locations of the first batch of parking stations, which will today go out to tender.
Construction will begin in May, and the first of Brisbane's 2000 hire bikes could be in operation by September.
While the bikes will be free for the first 30 minutes, they will cost $11 for the first two hours.
Public Transport committee chair Jane Prentice said she expected the first hire bikes would be operating "in the second half of the year".
Cr Prentice said advertising would cover the operating cost of the scheme, but ratepayers also contribute around $1 million this year.
She said under this contract, Brisbane City Council would also receives a share of income - understood to be about 20 per cent - once the revenue from the bike hire scheme reaches a certain level.
It is understood about $9 million profit is predicted from the scheme for the next 20 years.
Cr Prentice said "City Lights" panels - which will sit next to the actual bike hire station - will provide information about the scheme.
"The City Lights are like our bus stop signs," she said.
"They stand next next to the actual bike hire station,where one side is advertising and the other side is local information about where the next bike station is."
Brisbane's public bike hire scheme will be the first of its kind in Australia.
Operator JC Decaux already run them in several cities including Paris, Barcelona and, most recently, Dublin.
People wanting to hire the bikes pre-register to hire a bike, get a swipe card, which they can them use at any location around the inner-city.
The remaining 35 bike hire stations will go to tender late this year.
Once the scheme is operational, people wanting to use the bikes could buy a swipe card for $55 a year, $25 a quarter, or $10 a day.
As long as the bicycle was returned to one of the locations within 30 minutes, there would be no extra charges.
and then the locations
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... -n8pr.html
Where Brisbane's bike hire stations will be placed February 2, 2010 - 5:00AM
- Queen Street, outside the Tank Hotel near Eagle Lane.
- Wharf Street, near Adelaide Street, outside 340 Adelaide Street.
- Queen Street, outside 540 Queen Street.
- Cathedral Square, opposite 369 Ann Street.
- Market Street, 10 Market Street.
- Ann Street, outside 310 Ann Street.
- Edward Street, outside Commonwealth Bank
- Charlotte Street, near Edward Street.
- Mary Street, near Edward Street.
- Alice Street, near Edward Street
- Alice Street, near the Botanical Gardens
- corner Alice Street and Albert Street, near the Botanical Gardens
- Margaret Street, opposite the Royal on the Park hotel at 152 Alice Street
- Mary Street and Albert Street, outside 96 Albert Street
- Charlotte Street, near Albert Street
- Albert Street Mall, near Laubman and Pank
- Albert Street Mall, near Oscar Oscar
- Roma Street, near Ann Street
- Roma Street, near Turbot Street
- Roma Street, near Makerston Street, Brisbane Transit Centre
- Makerston Street, near Roma Street
- Roma Street near the Garrick Street, Magistrates Courts
- Roma Street, outside Holiday Inn
- George Street, near Grosvenor Hotel
- Charlotte Street, George Street
- Mary Street, George Street.
- George Street, near QUT and Parliament House
- William Street at the rear of the Executive Building
- Kurilpa Bridge
- Queen Street, near Wharf Street
- Central Station - Edward Street, near Turbot Street
- William Street, near Treasury Casino
- George and Adelaide Streets, near Telstra building
- Albert Street Mall, opposite King George Square
- Queen Street Mall, near Westpac
- Creek Street, near Commonwealth Bank
- Gardens Point Road, south-east of Goodwill Bridge
- Charlotte Street, near Wilsons Parking
- King George Square
- Tank Street, near George Street
- Upper Roma Street, near Eagle Terrace
- Ann Street, outside Central Railway Station
- Ann Street, near Boundary Street
- Coronation Drive, near Land Street
- Turbot Street near Barry Parade, Fortitude Valley
- Ann Street near Boundary Street
- Turbot Street at Spring Hill
- Brunswick Street near Alfred Street
- Brunswick Street, near Wickham Street
- Constance Street, near St Paul's Terrace
- James Street near McLachlan Street
- James Street, near Kent Street
- Ann Street near the Waterloo Hotel
- Ann Street near Chester Street
- Wickham Street, near Murri Way
- Gipps Street, near Wickham Street
- Merthyr Road, near James Street
- Allen Street, near Wickham Street
- Wickham Street, near Police Station
- Arthur Street, near Brunswick Street
- Ann Street, near Ballow Street
- McLachlan Street, near Winn Street
- East Street, near Mercedes Benz Brisbane
- Bridge Street, near CoCo Republic
- Ann Street, near Cathedral Place
- Turbot Street, near Barry Parade
- Thornton Street ferry terminal
- Annie Street, near Holman Street
- Main Street, near Darragh Street
- McDougall Street, near Park Road
- Park Road, near Subway
- Railway Terrace, near Toowong Milton Body Repairs
- Bicentennial Bikeway, near Lany Road
- Lamington Street, near the Powerhouse Entrance
- Lamington Street, near Refinery Parade
- Brunswick Street, near Oxlade Street at New Farm Park
- Sydney Street, near the Fish Cafe
- Merthyr Road, near 7-Eleven
- Barker Street, near Gerlies Bar and Lounge
- Sydney Street, near Ferry Wharf
- Sydney Street, near Moray Street
- Merthyr Road, near Reginald Street
- James Street, near the Purple Olive
- James Street, near James on Browne unit block
- Balfour Street, near Brunswick Street
- Langshaw Street, near Brunswick Street
- Oxlade Drive, near Merthyr Bowls Club
- Doggett Street near Commercial Road
- Commercial Road, near Skyring Terrace
- Hawken Drive, near University of Queensland entrance
- Hawken Drive, near Vintage Cellars
- Grey Street, near Vulture Street
- Melbourne Street, near Edmonstone Street
- Cordelia Street, opposite AFG
- Turbot Street, near Bowen Street
- Turbot Street, near Wickham Terrace
- Glen Street, near Benson Street
- Jane Street, near Montague Road
- Hardgrave Road, near Skinner Street
- Vulture Street, near Thomas Street
- Orleigh Street, near Hoogley Street
- Rogers Street near Montague Road
- Drury Street near Montague Road