Courier Mail whinge on the Cycle Hire, less carspaces

beauyboy

Courier Mail whinge on the Cycle Hire, less carspaces

Postby beauyboy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:09 am

So lets face it the Courier Mail hates bicycles and cyclists. Todays article is about the cycle hire and how 2000 bikes will take over 190 car spaces. Doesn't take a genius to work out which is more efficent. :roll:
From what the paper is writing it seams they want this scheme to crash and burn.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 02,00.html
Bicycle hire in, car spaces out in council station plan
Ursula Heger
February 24, 2010 12:00am
MORE than 190 of Brisbane's rare on-street parking spaces will be ripped up to make way for City Hall's planned bike-hire stations.

Brisbane City Council have admitted 40 car parking spaces in the CBD and 156 spaces in inner city suburbs from West End to Newstead will be lost in the installation of 50 multi-bike racks later this year.

The stations, which are designed to be within view of each other, will also be put on footpaths and in the city's Botanic Gardens and New Farm Park.

Cycle plan: Full list of bike stations
Streets ahead: Check out our special presentation
The CityCycle bike hire scheme will give residents and tourists access to more than 2000 bikes for hire to get around inner city suburbs and the CBD.

The scheme is linked to a major funding push for cycleways across Brisbane, with more than $14.5 million invested to connect and expand the city's bikeway network last year.

But CityCycle operator JC Decaux has struggled to find suitable locations for the 150 bike racks.

A spokesman for Council said using parking spaces was part of the original plan.

The scheme would be rolled out in two stages, with the first 115 bike racks operational by the end of the year.

In the first stage, Brisbane's CBD would have 45 bike racks, 19 would be installed in Fortitude Valley, 15 in New Farm, eight in Newstead, four in Milton, Kangaroo Point and South Brisbane, seven in West End and two in St Lucia.

The CityCycle scheme, announced by the Lord Mayor in January last year, has faced criticism for being too expensive for every-day use, with some residents complaining they have not been consulted about the plans.

Hiring a bike will be free for the first half-an-hour, and just $2 for up to an hour.

But the fees can rise dramatically if users do not return the bikes, with a bill of up to $250 for people who rent the bikes for more than 24 hours.

Council has said the bikes are designed for shorter trips, with users who return the bikes to a station every half-an-hour able to ride all day for free.

Users are also able to purchase a subscription membership to the scheme.

Opposition leader Shayne Sutton said the cramped inner city could not afford to lose on-street parking spaces.

"I think we will see the loss of even more car parking spaces than what they are admitting to," she said.

"I want Campbell Newman to admit the full extent of the loss of car parking spaces in these areas, and explain to Brisbane residents how that loss of car parking is going to be managed."

Bicycle Queensland cycling development officer Andrew Demack said: "If people use it the way it is intended, then a lot of the car parks people would have used would not be needed because people will be riding bikes," he said.

But he said there were still some issues to be worked out, including closing gaps in the city's cyclepath network.

Active and Public Transport chair Cr Jane Prentice refused to respond to the issue of lost car parks, but attacked the opposition's stance on preserving CBD spaces.

BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

mcarrigg

Re: Courier Mail whinge on the Cycle Hire, less carspaces

Postby mcarrigg » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:24 am

Did you expect anything less from the CM...biggest BS publication I have read in the last few years. I would be lying to say it even makes good kitty litter tray lining because that would mean I would have to buy the publication in the first place...no thanks!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:41 am

2000-190=1810 fewer people driving cars in the CBD.

I know its a gross simplification, but they wouldn't notice a subtlety like that, would they? ;)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

daz

Postby daz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Apparently the bikes have been stolen from the ARC though...

Seems like a waste of space to me

benfer

Postby benfer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:48 am

This is a really great system but I am not sure that it will be particularly effective in a place like brisbane. Does anyone know how it works with helmets.. do you have to carry one around with you at all times if you intend to make use of it?

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:10 pm

Since there will be a station just down the road from me, I'm considering using them for my commute. Since my commute is under 30min, I can travel for free and save wear and tear on my own bike.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:50 pm

Zynster wrote:Since there will be a station just down the road from me, I'm considering using them for my commute. Since my commute is under 30min, I can travel for free and save wear and tear on my own bike.
Great idea; you will help promote the scheme by using it. Take a bow.

Max

Postby Max » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:51 am

Zynster wrote:Since there will be a station just down the road from me, I'm considering using them for my commute. Since my commute is under 30min, I can travel for free and save wear and tear on my own bike.
This sounds like precisely the sort of scenario council's trying to encourage. What the CM have missed in all of this is that the BCC is not trying to encourage all-day hire of a bike. They just want people to use bicycles for short trips instead of jumping into a car/bus/train (or, in this case, wear and tear on a nicer bike :lol: ). The $250 hit for 24 hour hire is designed specifically to encourage people to return the bikes quickly. So that, y'know, others can use them. Sharing and all.

I realise I'm probably preaching to the choir here, so I'll shut up. I just wish the CM would publish something worth a damn.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Or perhaps you could consider reading something worth damn. Something other than the Courier Mail, for example, because you know you are getting a massive dose of BS before you even pick it up, yet you do (pick it up).

People who are angered by this glorified toilet paper deserve their anger. Just reward for a complete waste of time and money.

Max

Postby Max » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:12 am

MG, I don't read any newspaper, mostly because they're full of either a) depressing stuff or b) bad reporting. But even if I did, that doesn't mean I am not entitled to have and/or express feelings about the quality of the publication.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

vandirk

Postby vandirk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:17 pm

MountGower wrote:Or perhaps you could consider reading something worth damn. Something other than the Courier Mail, for example, because you know you are getting a massive dose of BS before you even pick it up, yet you do (pick it up).

People who are angered by this glorified toilet paper deserve their anger. Just reward for a complete waste of time and money.
Said very harshly, but it's very true. That paper and others like it just really clutter me up.