Cycling around Cairns

Colin_T

Cycling around Cairns

Postby Colin_T » Mon May 10, 2010 2:28 pm

just wondering how safe it is cycling around Cairns in north Qld? I want to go to Lake Eacham (Australia's only crater lake) and check out a few of the national parks. Can you cycle around the national parks or do you have to walk? Can you cycle to Lake Eacham from Cairns or is it at the top of a giant hill :)?
What do you lot do about snakes, in particular Taipans, and also crocodiles?
re: crocodiles, I wouldn't mind checking out the great barrier reef. I gather they have safe sections to swim and snorkel around there? Also are they in the rivers and do they chomp on bikes when you are crossing streams?
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

scottyj

Re: Cycling around Cairns

Postby scottyj » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:51 pm

I live in Brisbane now but spent 3 years in Cairns recently, riding nearly every day. Also got an award winning "Bikebus" going, getting the kiddies to school at the Northern Beaches.

Short answer, yes, very bike friendly, room on highway to ride to northern beaches (just be forceful at roundabouts), many bikepaths, supportive local council and main roads staff. visit CBUG for more info. Very active BUG.

Cairns is flat area by sea,but some good climbs available for training, including Copperlode (dam water supply). Very picturesque. There is a regional bike plan also available if you google it.

Some good training ride area south of city too, around Yarabah. Lake eachem is an easy ride. Also, if you get someone to give you a lift up the range, it is very nice to cycle around tablelands.

Cheers. Scott J

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:55 am

thanks Scott, most helpful :)
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

vfrkenny

Postby vfrkenny » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Scotty's reply is a good one, I'm moving up to the northern beaches in a couple of months and have been wondering where the climbs are, I Google mapped the Copperlode dam road, that looks good. I've been impressed by the many cycle lanes on so many roads but what is the protocol at roundabouts? Turning right from the far left cycle lane is a bit weird, who has right of way etc?

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:37 pm

vfrkenny wrote: I've been impressed by the many cycle lanes on so many roads but what is the protocol at roundabouts? Turning right from the far left cycle lane is a bit weird, who has right of way etc?
I think you will find that when you turn right from the far left lane, you are expected to act more like a pedestrian. Basically you go straight across the road, then stop. Turn 90 degrees to your right, and go straight across the other bit of road. You do it in 2 sections.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:43 pm

heading south to Josephine falls is a good road training run. about 150 return with a 'postcard' waterfall to play in at turnaround point. free mangoes on the road in too!

bigalhaggis

Postby bigalhaggis » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:24 pm

hello, were visiting Cairns between the 30th june and leave the 11 July. Just wondering if there is a bike shop that we can hire a couple of racers from and if theirs a cycling group we can join for a few rides, my daughter and i sit at about 30 to 32 Km/h thanks Alan ( :roll: from Perth )