Brisbane to Gold Coast Challenge 2010

Re: Brisbane to Gold Coast Challenge 2010

Postby uncle arthur » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:07 pm

First - well done Katie on the effort.

HOWEVER - I will reiterate that noobie riders should be nowhere near the front of the bunch on a ride like the BRIS-GC100.

I ride with an experienced bunch. We averaged 32/hr over the 100km and we weren't pushing hard - that included the time my wheel was still spinning (slowly) as we wheeled/walked through each fuel stop.

I saw LOTS of lower time group riders (different coloured number tag) who somehow managed to start at the front, and invariably they were the ones struggling to stay safe and not be a potential danger when the faster groups were trying to circulate past. We had one rider come down as a result of being baulked by an lesser experienced rider stopping and propping, changing line within the bunch and causing a wheel touch on the climb just after the Jacob's Well turnoff.

It seems (and is marketed) like a nice Sunday social ride, but the BGC100km is still a serious endeavour and it does require a level of physical preparation, bike readiness, and the ride confidence to still be safe in and around much larger bunches of riders.

Practice up for next year, perhaps find a good group to ride with and get your skills and strength up, and next year you will blitz it :)
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

by BNA » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:37 pm

BNA

Postby KatiePink » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:37 pm

Wow thank you so much for your lovely and encouraging responses guys! :D They’re really encouraging to read and I’m thankful for your support. I definitely have some 2011 goals to consider now! I learnt a lot so will have to sit down and plan out my next venture.

I love the Lanterne Rouge thought – awesome. And love the pink streamers idea! Hahaa that would be fantastic :)

Thank you for your kind words Max, RepcoMonaco, Mick, soc, Dave, BrisBoy (it was cool) :wink: and Tom.

Thanks for your support and tips MountGower and waynohh. gordy, thank you for sharing your story, that was nice of you to help those girls and good to know for me.

It was just my story, on the table, take it or leave it, so I appreciate the support. Don’t worry, I wouldn’t have considered trying to start at the front! If I was able to maintain 30km/h+ or whatever the top end is, maybe, but I think it’s pretty obvious I’m nowhere near there yet. I knew what I was doing, had hope, and just tried my best in my own personal situation. It just makes way for bigger goals, huh? :D

Thank you very much again for your support – it’s spurred me on and encouraged me a lot- thank you :)
KatiePink

Postby waynohh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:06 pm

Apple wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote:She shouldnt be anywhere near the front - she probably shouldnt be doing the ride at all unless she does some proper preparation beforehand. Or perhaps she should do the 60k ride.

I agree, you need to train properly for a ride of that distance. I would hate to be the van driver, did you know that he is doing this as a volunteer

You guys realise that 1. it's not a race and 2. it's for charity?

You're kidding yourself if you think a bunch of elitist jerks on 5k bikes give the charity more exposure than regular people pushing their absolute limits. I doubt you any of you managed to draw several people away from their lives for hours in support.

And the start is so unorganized that fast groups are overtaking slow riders for almost ALL DAY unless they're in the first 100-1000 starters. So get over it and stop thinking it's a crit circuit.
waynohh

Postby Drunkmonkey » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:43 pm

waynohh wrote:
Apple wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote:She shouldnt be anywhere near the front - she probably shouldnt be doing the ride at all unless she does some proper preparation beforehand. Or perhaps she should do the 60k ride.

I agree, you need to train properly for a ride of that distance. I would hate to be the van driver, did you know that he is doing this as a volunteer

You guys realise that 1. it's not a race and 2. it's for charity?

You're kidding yourself if you think a bunch of elitist jerks on 5k bikes give the charity more exposure than regular people pushing their absolute limits. I doubt you any of you managed to draw several people away from their lives for hours in support.

And the start is so unorganized that fast groups are overtaking slow riders for almost ALL DAY unless they're in the first 100-1000 starters. So get over it and stop thinking it's a crit circuit.

No one said it was a race - however certain fitness levels are required to complete the ride........it was stated in the conditions of entry. There was even a ride preparation training guide for noobs. And there was a 60k ride for those not up to 100k.

And the slower riders starting at the rear is for safety - not elitism. I dont see what value bicycle someone else is riding has to do with a noob being out of their depth.

Why dont you encourage her to do the Coot-tha challenge - thats another ride thats not a race, but that doesnt mean just anyone should do it :roll:
Drunkmonkey

Postby Apple » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:22 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
waynohh wrote:[No one said it was a race - however certain fitness levels are required to complete the ride........it was stated in the conditions of entry. There was even a ride preparation training guide for noobs. And there was a 60k ride for those not up to 100k.

And the slower riders starting at the rear is for safety - not elitism. I dont see what value bicycle someone else is riding has to do with a noob being out of their depth.

Why dont you encourage her to do the Coot-tha challenge - thats another ride thats not a race, but that doesnt mean just anyone should do it :roll:

+1

Don’t waste your computers typing board’s keys. Some people believe they can get the strength and endurance by a support team rather than training hard first. Rome was not built in a day.

[b
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
Apple

Postby dodge » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Apple wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote:
waynohh wrote:[No one said it was a race - however certain fitness levels are required to complete the ride........it was stated in the conditions of entry. There was even a ride preparation training guide for noobs. And there was a 60k ride for those not up to 100k.

+1

Don’t waste your computers typing board’s keys. Some people believe they can get the strength and endurance by a support team rather than training hard first. Rome was not built in a day.

[b

I agree with you both
Size 14..first of the overeaters
dodge

Postby Apple » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:36 pm

Thank you Dodge :wink:
Here is a saying I love
“I work as hard as I can to achieve my goals. I have steadily improved year after year by working harder and training smarter over the long haul. The only way to get better is to work harder. This doesn't guarantee a win, but it sure does improve your chances.”
George Hincapie quotes
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
Apple

Postby notwal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:49 am

Wow you tell a great story Kate.
You turned a charity bike ride into an epic of pain and endurance every bit as gripping as the stories of the great classics only more intimate. You made me laugh you made me cry.

I think you should go out and suffer some more just so you can write about it. :D

But no. The next story should be one of how you conquer the Mt Coottha Challenge with heaps to spare, a tale of joyous elan.
I look forward to it. Maybe 2012?
judged, insulted, gone
notwal

Previous

Return to Queensland