Kingsford Smith Drive

Hobbanobbachobba

Kingsford Smith Drive

Postby Hobbanobbachobba » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi Guys,
I have been offered a job at a place on Kingsford Smith Drive at Eagle Farm and I am just wondering how bike friendly that road is of a morning and afternoon? I am going to take a test ride on it tomorrow, but I am just wondering if anybody rides it on a regular basis? I will be commuting between Eagle Farm and Bowen Hills, near the RBH. The reason I ask is that I have noticed that a lot of heavy vehicles use that road -being a very industrial area.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Hobba

MountGower

Re: Kingsford Smith Drive

Postby MountGower » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:09 pm

G'day

I have ridden it a fair few times. It's a lottery depending on light changes and time of day. I am currently commuting on 47c tyres and ride the skinny path from Newstead House to Racecourse Rd, where I wait for a gap and jump over to the road. I only go as far as Nudgee Rd, where I turn left. Sometimes on the way home, I'll gun it from Nudgee Rd to Newstead if I have a tail wind.

I find all roads the same really. It only takes one gutless wonder, but have never had a problem on Kingsford Smith Drv. The reason I use the path is mainly just to improve my chances of survival, if that is what I am doing on that stupid path. Every day I see blokes on the road though. I am going through there at 5.30am. Sometimes I think riding roads like that is best done in heavier traffic, where you can just take up a place and draft away.

Send a PM to Abby. I think he rides it almost every day in peak hour.

Good luck.

Hobbanobbachobba

Postby Hobbanobbachobba » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:10 am

Thanks for the report mate. I think that I am going to ride my MTB, just so that I can easily bail off the road if need be.

Cheers!
Hobba

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:22 am

I drive it three to five times a day in a truck and its not the worst road in Brissy, but it is getting there. Remember that its one of those roads where blocking a lane if its getting hairy for you, just wont work. It can be ridden with common sense, but look at riding theough quieter streets duing peak (6.30-9am & 4-6am)

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 am

I work on KSD, and ride there every day from West End. I work evenings though, so I'm heading outbound in the afternoon, and inbound at night.

I don't find it that bad, but in the afternoons I don't ride the whole length - I ride along abbotsford rd until it turns into sandgate, then I hang a right at crosby rd, backstreet my way to nudgee rd, then turn onto KSD shortly before the rail crossing.

I'm pretty sure if you head down lamington ave (off nudgee rd) there's now a little cycle path that will pop you out at schneider rd - I don't find the traffic bad enough to bother take the extra detour though.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry so much about the heavy vehicles, I've not had much grief off them, it's the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! in utes and vans you have to watch for.

Remember that its one of those roads where blocking a lane if its getting hairy for you, just wont work.

Yeah, I tried that the first time I rode to work, it really doesn't :?

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:28 am

I used to work in Hendra and rode through the city and across KSD to Nudgee road both ways during peak hour. The road condition wasn't the problem - it was the congestion and the lack of anywhere for me to move to.

Worst part of my ride.

Abby

Postby Abby » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:37 am

Yep, I commute on that rode every day. :)

I use it 'outbound' in the mornings (heading to the Airport). I find it very easy. There is always HEAPS of traffic, which makes it safer as it usually only travels at 50km/h at the most. Very easy to whip along with the traffic flow as it sucks you along. Occasionally I get lucky and I can sit in behind a big truck and pretty much coast the whole way. :D I would have no hesitation in saying give it a try......

As for the other direction (ie. inbound to City). Rode it once - never again :shock: . I now use a totally different route that completely avoids KSD in the arvos. But that's just me....

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Hobbanobbachobba

Postby Hobbanobbachobba » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. I rode it today (inbound) at around 08:00 and it was indeed quite curly. Almost got taken out by a taxi that pulled out of a side street right next to me. Had to lock up the breaks to avoid a collision. What a tool.
With a bit of experimentation and with all the great info that you guys have offered I am sure that it will get better though.
Thanks!!

Cheers,
Hobba

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Perhaps an alternative route to the north of KS Drv could be devised. If you are on bigger tyres or don't mind some roughness, the bike path could be used for some of it. Check out the refedex or google maps and plot some different roads. Check them out in real life and eventually something will fall in to place.

Cabs!? The Black and White Falcon wagons freak me out. Almost a guarenteed mistake coming right up.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:44 pm

I just looked at google maps. You'll find it very easy to plot a course over to Eagle Farm from Bowen Hills. Just try the various ways until you like one. I've ridden them myself. Plenty of good options in there. Print out a map if it's easier and clip it to your brake cable. I might revisit a couple this week now too.

Hobbanobbachobba

Postby Hobbanobbachobba » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:59 pm

Tanks MountGower!!!

:)