Riding on the Bruce Highway

Riding on the Bruce Highway

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:12 pm

As the title say, this week whilst driving up the Bruce in the truck this week, on two days I saw two blokes riding at around Glasshouse. :x What is it with some of the riders these days, that can't get it through their thick heads, that when the signs say No bicycles past this point, it means exactly that!!!!!!!! :x
32yrs ago I did a charity ride with another bloke from Ipswich to Cairns to raise money for Cancer research, and you could not ride bikes then on it.
Wake up to yourself and obey the signs and stop making the rest of us, they follow the rules, lives more difficult, because of your stupidity!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

PS. That's directed at the ones, that think that road rules don't apply to them!

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

by BNA » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:29 pm

BNA

Re: Riding on the Bruce Highway

Postby The Womble » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Its a fairly common sight up around there for some reason. Im stuffed if Id ride on the Bruce, knowing how much a truck tramlines on some sections. If anyone knows them, tell them theyre a dick
The Womble

Postby Mustang » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:00 pm

foo on patrol wrote:As the title say, this week whilst driving up the Bruce in the truck this week, on two days I saw two blokes riding at around Glasshouse. :x What is it with some of the riders these days, that can't get it through their thick heads, that when the signs say No bicycles past this point, it means exactly that!!!!!!!! :x
32yrs ago I did a charity ride with another bloke from Ipswich to Cairns to raise money for Cancer research, and you could not ride bikes then on it.
Wake up to yourself and obey the signs and stop making the rest of us, they follow the rules, lives more difficult, because of your stupidity!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

PS. That's directed at the ones, that think that road rules don't apply to them!

Foo

I live around the region & have never seen such a sign? Are you suggesting all the Bruce?
Mustang

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:21 pm

No, not all of the Bruce, just from Pine Rivers to Nambour.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby ajh003 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:38 pm

foo on patrol wrote:No, not all of the Bruce, just from Pine Rivers to Nambour.

I live on Sunny Coast and near access to the Bruce
There are definitely no signs stating that no bikes are allowed
There ARE CLEAR SIGNS on the Sunshine motorway.

I was just browing to actually work a cycle plan from Sunny Coast to Gold Coast for next weekend
Anyone got a route for me to try ??
Many thanks
Jamis CODA SPORT Flat Bar CONVERTED to a DROP BAR for Daily commutes
Giant "Talon" MTB for weekend Trails and "FAMILY" stuff
SW 168.5 kgs CW 111 kgs woohoo !
ajh003

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:44 pm

There used too be signs at the end of the Sunshine Motorway at Sippy Downs and at Bald Hills at the start of the Bruce.

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Lark2004 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:20 am

I was up riding from D/Bay to Narangbar on Sunday arvo... interesting to note that the signs for both south and north bound on ramps (from D/bay rd overpass) didn't include bicycles on the list of what was not allowed. I do know that the signs near Strathpine do clearly say no bicycles...
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby Mustang » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:42 am

ajh003 wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:No, not all of the Bruce, just from Pine Rivers to Nambour.

I live on Sunny Coast and near access to the Bruce
There are definitely no signs stating that no bikes are allowed
There ARE CLEAR SIGNS on the Sunshine motorway.

I was just browing to actually work a cycle plan from Sunny Coast to Gold Coast for next weekend
Many thanks

"ajh003" Is the Sunshine motorway sectioned or does that include all of it?
Mustang

Postby ajh003 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:22 am

[/quote]
"ajh003" Is the Sunshine motorway sectioned or does that include all of it?[/quote]

As far as I know all entries to the Sunshine Motorway - both East West (Uni to Mooloolaba) then also Nth - Sth (Mooloolaba to Coolum area) are all no go zones
I ride home from mudjimba and actually go on the Sunshine across the Maroochy river most afternoons as the Bikeway is pathetic and not finished
I have been passed by many patrol cars and even over the bridge have passed a stopped police car - no worries at all
But - I am trying to be good
ajh003

Postby Mustang » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:30 am

ajh003 wrote:

"ajh003" Is the Sunshine motorway sectioned or does that include all of it?[/quote]

As far as I know all entries to the Sunshine Motorway - both East West (Uni to Mooloolaba) then also Nth - Sth (Mooloolaba to Coolum area) are all no go zones
I ride home from mudjimba and actually go on the Sunshine across the Maroochy river most afternoons as the Bikeway is pathetic and not finished
I have been passed by many patrol cars and even over the bridge have passed a stopped police car - no worries at all
But - I am trying to be good[/quote]

"We are reasonably new to the district & I want to ride from Little Mountain to a parents place in Perigian Springs, can you suggest a route" I had planned using the new road from Caloundra Rd/Corbold way / Kawana Way untill it comes out at Sippy Downs then along the Sunshine ?
Mustang

Postby ajh003 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:24 pm

Mustang wrote:"We are reasonably new to the district & I want to ride from Little Mountain to a parents place in Perigian Springs, can you suggest a route" I had planned using the new road from Caloundra Rd/Corbold way / Kawana Way untill it comes out at Sippy Downs then along the Sunshine ?

I roughed this out for you
I ride this route very often
Personally I like to mix up between Nicklin and kawana Linkway - ride up past Harvey Norman and veer left onto bike path then right under the bridge and pop up onto Brisbane road towards Mooloolaba

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/ride/austra ... 0908935826

Was gonna bikely it but bikely was down today

Any questions just ask

Nice straight forward ride just on 50kms
ajh003

Postby Mustang » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Awesome!!!!!! :D :D :D Thank you for going to the trouble.
PS Getting onto the Maroochy River bridge?, & exiting onto Godfreys Road? the map appears to follow the southbound route?
I guess your plan refers to the footpath?
Last edited by Mustang on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustang

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Noticed, that on Linkfield rd just before the on ramp to the Bruce, it says no Bicycles on Motorway! :wink:
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Lark2004 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:27 pm

also says no bicycles at the Anzac Ave onramps.... which leaves boundary rd to be checked on, since D/Bay Rd onramps have had Bicycles removed from their prohibited list (north and south...).
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby ajh003 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:03 am

Mustang wrote:Awesome!!!!!! :D :D :D Thank you for going to the trouble.
PS Getting onto the Maroochy River bridge?, & exiting onto Godfreys Road? the map appears to follow the southbound route?
I guess your plan refers to the footpath?

You are correct there is a great cycleway footpath over the bridge....You can access it from Bradman ave (SHORTCUT almost under bridge - thru lights and jump up driveways and turn left up path before going under bridge)
Unfortunately it stops dead and you have to loop under the bridge and go Godfreys rd - no biggie (I do it each day)
I use to ride over the bridge....but I AM TRYING TO BE GOOD MOST OF THE TIME and not ride the Motroways Illegally
...I do miss the opportunity for speed
ajh003

Postby Lark2004 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:50 pm

I had to do a drive up to Gympie today, I noticed that all the on-ramps from Pumicestone Rd up to Gympie have no restriction signs at all, just a sign saying "Start of Motorway".
I didn't see if there was any signage at the Caboolture/Bribie on-ramps as I busy trying not be wiped out by some idiot in a commodore....
I did see some loaded tourers up near Yandina, I wish I could find the time to do some of that...
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby ajh003 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:11 pm

Well...I went down the Bruce on Saturday morning at 4:15am as far as Caboolture - on my way to Gold Coast
Little hairy when the road narrows for creeks crossings but apart from 3 cars that beeped me in just under 2 hrs - it was a great start to my trip.
I would definitely go that way again I reckon.
The shoulder is generally very wide and pretty clear
ajh003

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Digging up an old thread I know, but the other day I noticed new signs at the Yandina-Coolum Road roundabout on the east side of the highway, and one on the highway itself a hundred metres or so north of the Cooroy interchange.

They are very similar to the signs on the Sunshine Motorway

but instead of the green 'motorway entrance' sign, the white sign says 'prohibited on motorway' (IIRC, I will get a photo when I get a chance).
These signs are definitely new, and I would really like to know what has prompted their installation. I have ridden the highway between Cooroy and Yandina a few times, and it is arguably one of the safest roads in the area, excellent visibility and a huge mostly clean shoulder.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:41 pm

This is the sign at Yandina.

Now the sign says 'motorway', the Bruce is a highway, is there any actual legal basis then for saying the sign doesn't apply?
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:50 pm

ajh003 wrote:I was just browing to actually work a cycle plan from Sunny Coast to Gold Coast for next weekend
Many thanks

Yeah, have a look at this. From what people are saying here it might not be up to date with the freeway extent now. I queried TMR a while ago and was told the freeway extends to the Caloundra turnoff, as you'll see in my notes. Hard to see that it extends to Nambour, what alternative route could a cyclist take?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:41 am

ldrcycles wrote:This is the sign at Yandina.

Now the sign says 'motorway', the Bruce is a highway, is there any actual legal basis then for saying the sign doesn't apply?

Nope!

http://au.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGk ... m/motorway

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:47 am

From Caboolture you can ride all the way up to Caloundra via the old Highway can't you? Then you go across the highway and take the new road across to um um I can't remember the name of it :oops: but just before the horse racing complex I think it is. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:47 pm

From Caboolture up the way I ride is Beerburrum Road up to the Steve Irwin Way. Where it then gets a little tricky is Caloundra Rd just before Corbould Park racecourse. There is a small sign there saying 'cyclists must exit' (or words to that effect) but no signs indicating 'no bicycles' or 'bicycles prohibited beyond this point' or a variation thereof. Going in the other direction there is another small sign saying 'no bicycles next 2km'. I see absolutely no reason for this, the road is perfectly safe, wide open and arrow straight with shoulders the size of most country roads.

My main beef is with the Bruce highway possibly being now closed for cycling between Cooroy and Yandina, that section is much flatter than any other route, and at typical cycling times has only light traffic. If it's been safe to cycle for the last who knows how many years, why is it only now that it is deemed unsafe, and why?
ldrcycles

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:34 pm

Because some lard arse sitting behind a desk deems it so and possibly because of some stupidity from cyclists not staying on the left of the fog line. :idea: I know the road extremely well Idry, so I am not arguing with you, because it is, as far as I'm concerned, safe enough for cyclists to ride on. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Just as an after thought, if you go over the border (heaven forbid) they have signs up saying beware of cyclists and this goes pretty much the length of the hi-way to Harwood and possibly further. 8) The same amount of shoulder to ride on as up here and I see (when I'm running down there) many cyclists using it. :?

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Next

Return to Queensland