Port of Brisbane closed to cyclists

whichway

Port of Brisbane closed to cyclists

Postby whichway » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:09 am

HI

Signs up this morning. Anyone know what the go is? Looks permanent.

http://www.portbris.com.au/Portals/0/Port%20Files/General%20Documents/No%20Bicycling%20on%20Port%20Roads.pdf

25 Penalty Units ($1875) Per Offence

whichway

gclark8

Re: Port of Brisbane closed to cyclists

Postby gclark8 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:28 pm

Cheers,
George.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Take Notice: The Port of Brisbane is about to become awash with gutless imbeciles who are unable to think properly or act appropriately at the best of times. Instead of assuming the responsibility of imposing it upon these neanderthals that they must act like real men for the first time in their lives, we have decided to take the easy way out and kindly ask all cyclists to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! off because we are as weak as piss and hate you as much as they do.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:19 am

High grade BS that is. If it can fit smokeboxes...

Time for some concerted civil disobedience?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:38 am

MountGower wrote:Take Notice: The Port of Brisbane is about to become awash with gutless imbeciles who are unable to think properly or act appropriately at the best of times. Instead of assuming the responsibility of imposing it upon these neanderthals that they must act like real men for the first time in their lives, we have decided to take the easy way out and kindly ask all cyclists to !!! spammer !!! off because we are as weak as piss and hate you as much as they do.

Surely people can find a new industrial area to practice time trialling in whilst heavy construction is being done :roll:

Its more for our safety than anything else - why anyone would want to ride on Fishies amongst nothing but semi's and b doubles is beyond me.
Last edited by Drunkmonkey on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:42 am

Mulger bill wrote:High grade BS that is. If it can fit smokeboxes...

Time for some concerted civil disobedience?

Do you even know the area that is being discussed? Would you also advise cyclists to ignore signs not to ride on the M1?

steerpike

Postby steerpike » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:50 am

I work at the Port of Brisbane, and used to cycle up and down the centre road during my lunch hour. A workmate used to cycle in, but I didn't (too far, and the Port road is no place for cyclists during a weekday- had a fatal cyclist/truck accident there a couple of years ago). Cycling was banned everywhere on the Port of Brisbane from about March 2010. It coincided with the major works including the bridge duplication and the additional far left road bypassing the roundabout. When they originally announced the ban, they made the following offer- if you want to cycle commute in, there are lockers for your bike at the Caltex servo and the POB will transport you to your workplace from there. Don't know if they are doing this, or if anyone took up their offer. My workmate just gave up and drives in now. I believe that this is a permanent ban.