Tour de Tambourine

HuskiesX2

Tour de Tambourine

Postby HuskiesX2 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:14 pm

G'day

Has anyone done the Tour de Tambourine?? [50kms bike] - I am doing this one
and the 10kms[run] - my sis is doing this one :)

Am looking for feed back on course difficulties....or is it a walk in the park :lol:

Thanks

PS most difficult ride so far was the Noosa100 - those hills out the back were interesting
You can never have too many huskies

foo on patrol

Re: Tour de Tambourine

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:35 pm

If you are riding Tamborine from Oxenford, you will know all about it!!! :mrgreen:
10-14% gradient :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

pippy

Postby pippy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:51 pm

I did it last year. It was a very nice ride, and yes, the final climb you will definitely know about it. Not impossible though.

Very well organised and the course was great, would definitely recommend it. I am doing it again this year.

HuskiesX2

Postby HuskiesX2 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:00 am

Thank you, now will just have to round up some fellow victims, it's best not to suffer alone!!!! :lol:
You can never have too many huskies

Trevie

Postby Trevie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:34 pm

Just a reminder to those thinking of giving this a go, it's on Sunday 21st Nov and is starting from a different venue this year, so have a look at the maps on the website.
http://www.tourdetamborine.com.au/

The event is not just a ride, there are also Runs and Walks for those not riding, the whole family can compete. So come along and enjoy a beautiful part of S.E.Qld.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:36 pm

HuskiesX2 wrote:Thank you, now will just have to round up some fellow victims, it's best not to suffer alone!!!! :lol:
Oh what a beautiful ride was she.
Something for everyone, an abrupt descent with hairy hairpins to the sweeping canungra plains to the long gentle climb back to the plateau.
Thanks organizers and support Helpers.
Weather was good. :D

heay

Postby heay » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:05 pm

What a great event. The decent was hair raising I toped out at 87kph before the hairpin corners, came into Canungra at over 60 (it's a 40 zone but the police waved us through). Got into a group that worked well together and we where doing average of 45-46kph along the flats.

The climb up Tamborine was awsome did it in 26min 54sec, steady climb didn't get stuck into it as it was the first time I had climbed this one.

http://www.cycle2max.com/ride-time.aspx?id=25104

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:57 pm

here is a photo...

cyclists looking toward the next drop in the so-called "goat-track" that descends from Tamborine plateau to the Canungra valley.

Trevie

Postby Trevie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:15 am

Thanks for the positive comments, thankfully it was fine. Monday morning up here was very wet and foggy and it's raining this morning. Everyone got down the Goat Track safely, observing the 60km limit!! It is quite a ride if you don't know the road.

It was great to have Skoda on board this year providing cars and the leadout team of 30 riders which looked very impressive - good on you guys!

Next year we are considering extending the 50km Challenge by turning left at Boyland Road and heading out to the road end at Biddaddaba and back (this is a quiet section of country roads). This will add another 25 kms, and if we include the 25 km course on top of the mountain, this would round it out to a 100kms. Any feedback on this idea would be very welcome.

Thank you to those who entered - the camaraderie of the day left a powerful impression, whether it was a small child doing their first 5km ride/run/walk with a parent, or a cyclist negotiating those scary hairpins decending the Goat Track for the first time. This experience for them won't be easily forgotten.

Just received in my inbox: "Can I just thank the TdT committee for allowing us (Scenic Rim SES) to help with such a fantastic event. We really enjoyed helping to make the day a success. It was also good to see the gratitude of the cyclists as they came through each intersection, our members were very appreciative".

The event raised around $30,000 which was divided between four deserving local community groups; The special needs unit at the local primary school who wept when they received their check saying "you have no idea what a difference this money will make in the lives of the children"; JC Epidemic - a BMX skills troup who provided a very inspiring display; Sergeant Mick Jones's defensive driving course for Year 12 students; and finally the new Tamborine Mountain Sports Centre, which has further construction stages to develop.

If you thought this year was great, next year is going to be bigger and better - see you there!!!!

Tour de Tamborine

heay

Postby heay » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:29 pm

Trevie,

I would like to thankyou on a great event held on Sunday. If you are looking at extending the event it would be a welcomed plus to it.

Could I perhaps ask that I know there maybe some added cost to the event but could you put in a timed section for the climb back up Tamborine, I do understand that this is not a race but it would make it very interesting seeing some of the best climbers in Brisbane and the Gold Coast come out and have a really good go at this but make sure it goes all the way up. Please check this link out to see the whole climb if you do not already know about it.

http://www.cycle2max.com/bike-hill-clim ... spx?id=111

It was my first time for this event and I will be back again next year even if it is not extended as that decent was one of the best I have been on(felt like I was in the TDF on those hairpins).

Cheers,

Matt.

Trevie

Postby Trevie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Thanks Matt,

We did look at the "Timed Climb" for this year and decided against it, but we will definitely be revisiting it for next year. It's proved to be very popular for BQ's Mt Coot-tha Challenge and it would add some competition into the "Event".

Your right, the Goat Track's decent is one of SE Qld best kept secrete and it's a good old grind back up.

Cycle Tragic

Postby Cycle Tragic » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:56 am

The Timed Climb is a great idea, and the event was run really well …
I’d like to make an important suggestion …
On that truly World Class wild decent down the Goat Track, I think there should be marshals, say 70meters out from the hair pins waving flags … : )

I’m thinking this would be a good gig for the Gold Coast Meter Maids!!
It would sit well with the ‘Green behind the Gold’ thingy…. most probably get more ‘exposure’ than the organizers could dream for … and add even more excitement to an already thrilling Event and decent!!

In the name of safety… ‘Innovative Marshaling’ has got to slow even the most ‘tragic’ Cyclists down... I’m thinking gold flags, and if it’s cold … flashing trench coats with
‘Slow Down or Go Down !’ in glorious gold !!

As for my Glorious ride at this years TDT please have a read of
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t_1 ... it?hl=en#