Cycling in Mt Isa

Cycling in Mt Isa

Postby skull » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:54 pm

Hi I am heading to Mt Isa from dec to mar for work and my contract states that the cost of transport for a bike is covered.
So this question is aimed at anyone in Mt Isa or from there once apon a time
I am wondering what sort of cycling base is there and whether to take my roadie or my trackie which is set up as a commuter.

Thanks
Skull
skull

by BNA » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:57 pm

BNA

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:57 pm

G'day Skull,

Welcome aboard.

Let me state right up front that I've never been to Mt Isa. However I spent may years in Kalgoorlie, and I get a lot of people telling me of the similarities between the two towns. Given those similarities, I'll tell you how I felt about riding in Kalgoorlie and let you work out what you should do.

In Kalgoorlie, there is very little opportunity to ride on the roads. The town is too small for decent town riding (and Mt Isa is smaller). The roads around town are uninspiring and dangerous to ride on due to the number of road trains transporting ore here and there. Consequently, when I got to Kalgoorlie I never road my tourer on any real rides in the 13 years I was there.

The good news is that mountain biking was my saviour! Whilst the roads in and around town were awful, the off-road tracks were great for XC mountain biking. I would be willing to bet that the tracks of Mt Isa are also suitable for some interesting MTB riding.

It might pay to make a phone call or two to the local bike shop of Mt Isa to find out what sort of bikes they sell a lot of, and if there is an active cycling community there. If there is a club, the LBS will know.

Good luck with it, and please let us know what you find when you get there.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby isitonu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:30 pm

A bit late now for Skull, however let me clarify so that visitors to Mt Isa are not discouraged. I lived there 88 to 91, and did some road riding there. Roads are Ok, and they have an active cycling club with road and track racing. Over the years they have produced some very good cyclists.
In 07 I met one of their Masters riders in the Grafton to Inverell, so obviously there is some pretty serious interest there.
Mt Isa is very sports oriented, and the people are the friendliest I have ever met.
Whatever your sport, Mt Isans will be doing it.
isitonu

Return to Queensland