Swooping Magpies - Brisbane

jonlo

Postby jonlo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:28 am

Got swooped by a magpie on Friday afternoon on the bike path next to the Maritime Museum after getting off the QUT footbridge. Actaully saw an on-coming cyclist got swooped, so I kept looking back, probably 20 metres down the path, thought i was safe....then bang...the damn thing clipped me on my left ear, no damage done... but a pretty freaky experience.....

I probably won't be able find a different way to avoid the area, so just wanna see if anyone got any tips....i've read about stuff like putting zip tires / eyes on the helmet...but people have said that they've still being swooped....I was thinking whether when riding pass this area next time, i will lean forward and keep my head low, so that my head isn't the highest point....i will give it a go next week and see if i get swooped again...

Also...did a google search and found this swooping magpie hotspot map..looks like someone has already reported my swooping location
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/suburbs/magpie-alert#map

Comedian

Re: Swooping Magpies - Brisbane

Postby Comedian » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:21 am

Magpies are all different. They all have different dislikes. I've found that if you put enough long cable ties on a helmet it doesn't stop them attacking, but if they have to fly through a forest of cable ties to make contact it does make it difficult for them to connect.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:45 pm

There is an absolute nutter of a maggie living on Logan Rd out the front of Officeworks/Rebel Sport near Garden City...sits on the power wires on the opposite side of Logan Rd and watches for its next victim....swoops across the road and goes stupid...my husband got off the bike, walked over the garden and rode through the carpark of Garden City with the nutter chasing him the whole way today, glad when this season is over!

There is another tough bugger or two living at the Logan Road end of the bikepath....
Lisa

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:57 pm

The goodwill bridge Magpie is selective. He will not swoop everyone and will not swoop all the time.
I have only been swooped by him once so far but have noticed he is not choosie weather you are on the rode or the Bikeway.
When he swooped me it was more a kamerzie as he ran smake into the back of my helmet.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

tomns

Postby tomns » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:27 pm

beauyboy wrote:The goodwill bridge Magpie is selective. He will not swoop everyone and will not swoop all the time.
I have only been swooped by him once so far but have noticed he is not choosie weather you are on the rode or the Bikeway.
When he swooped me it was more a kamerzie as he ran smake into the back of my helmet.

Donald
Hey has cut my ear before - not this year,

There is one around the back of newstead behind Evelin St - swoops only not savage

Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif

mcarrigg

Postby mcarrigg » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:56 am

Comedian wrote:Magpies are all different. They all have different dislikes. I've found that if you put enough long cable ties on a helmet it doesn't stop them attacking, but if they have to fly through a forest of cable ties to make contact it does make it difficult for them to connect.

Ive seen that video previously, quite interesting isnt it.

I will say one thing though, different magpies have different "tastes" when it comes to choosing targets, some will target bike riders and leave pedestrians alone, some will target pedestrians and leave bike riders alone, some will target kids with backpacks and leave everyone else alone. Based on this, im guessing this theory in the video will not work with all magpies as it looks they only tested this outcome on this one magpie. Be interesting to test the theory on consistent dive bombers elsewhere.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:44 pm

mcarrigg wrote: I will say one thing though, different magpies have different "tastes" when it comes to choosing targets, some will target bike riders and leave pedestrians alone, some will target pedestrians and leave bike riders alone, some will target kids with backpacks and leave everyone else alone. Based on this, im guessing this theory in the video will not work with all magpies as it looks they only tested this outcome on this one magpie. Be interesting to test the theory on consistent dive bombers elsewhere.
Yep, I agree. All that video proves is that at some point a bike rider wearing a helmet did something horrible to that magpie. Let's face it too... the bulk of riders do so if a magpie was to be traumatised by a bike rider, they would likely be wearing a helmet. So maybe the helmet off thing might be useful.

clarinetcola

Postby clarinetcola » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:56 pm

I ride pass the maritime bike path every morning. The magpie there is defs selective. I've only been attacked by it once or twice last year. Never since then, no idea why (I wear black helmet, if it helps). I've seen it attacking people going in the opposite direction, pretty scary I must say. When I get attacked I usually sit upright instead of bending low, and when it gets close enough I duck down immediately, avoiding as much contact as possible.

The one at the bikeway entrance next to the logan road freeway on ramp is a bitch. Every morning..... sit up - duck down, sit up - duck down. SWOOSH CLANK - didn't see that one coming. Strangely enough I haven't seen it in the last few weeks. Anybody know what it's up to?

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:07 pm

clarinetcola wrote:The one at the bikeway entrance next to the logan road freeway on ramp is a bitch. Every morning..... sit up - duck down, sit up - duck down. SWOOSH CLANK - didn't see that one coming. Strangely enough I haven't seen it in the last few weeks. Anybody know what it's up to?

I haven't used the V1 for a couple of weeks, I've been taking my chances with the nutter on Logan Rd out the front of Officeworks...the one at the end of the V1 started early, I got swooped by it in mid-July...it might have packed it in for this year and taken off on holidays until 2011 :)
Lisa

Romper

Postby Romper » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:41 pm

there is a magpie on my street that only swoops women
Romper! now stiff yet vertically compliant

gordy

Postby gordy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:17 am

marinmomma wrote:
clarinetcola wrote:The one at the bikeway entrance next to the logan road freeway on ramp is a bitch. Every morning..... sit up - duck down, sit up - duck down. SWOOSH CLANK - didn't see that one coming. Strangely enough I haven't seen it in the last few weeks. Anybody know what it's up to?

I haven't used the V1 for a couple of weeks, I've been taking my chances with the nutter on Logan Rd out the front of Officeworks...the one at the end of the V1 started early, I got swooped by it in mid-July...it might have packed it in for this year and taken off on holidays until 2011 :)
I have not seen the magpie at the end of the v1 at Logan rd for a couple of weeks. I did notice a sizable blood stain on the concrete and wonder if the council have removed this bird. This bird is one of the ones that goes all year round.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 pm

Rode the V1 this morning and came out at the end at Logan Rd and no sight or sound of the maggie, actually did a 50k ride today and had no issues with any of them, maybe the little buggers are busy drying out their feathers after all this rain we've had :wink:
Lisa

soc

Postby soc » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:54 pm

Litte !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! of a Magpie got me this morning in the park opposite Toombul Shopping Centre. Wham! Copped a beak on the right ear and it drew blood, grrr!! :x
Got to work with quite a considerable patch of dried blood covering my ear, no wonder I was getting some curious looks (and it wasn't beacuase of my fat lycra covered gut this time :oops: )

Serena_P

Postby Serena_P » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:42 pm

Interesting info regarding the Magpies in Brisbane....thank you! Some of the places I cycle also have pied butcherbirds which really hate bicycle helmets too .

Something that's worked for me so far is to feed a small piece of raw meat to the ones that I am really worried about on my regular pathways. I know-it takes a moment, and you have to keep something on you to clean your hands with afterward, but it really does work. They will remember you and so you only ever have to it once. I think this is why Magpies swoop selectively too- they remember people who have fed them and seem to like people who remind them of their `friend'.

happycycler

Postby happycycler » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:19 pm

I went for a bit of a cycle between the hours of 9am and 10 am at the Logan Rd entry of the bikepath and had no magpie attack along the entirety of the path and this is from Logan Rd to Coronation Drive.... this was late August - 30th/31st

I'm mega scared of these things, have been pecked on the head before and blood flow...crazy things.

But tomorrow - I attempt! I will let you all know if I have any head left :)

Night and good luck to those who face the angrier ones.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Archer field road after the airport near intersection towards northbound. Swooped twice but only hit the helmet once......I'll be watching you next time :evil:

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:18 pm

happycycler wrote:But tomorrow - I attempt! I will let you all know if I have any head left :)
I guess he didn't make it.... :-)

Max

Postby Max » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:08 am

Le Velo wrote:Archerfield road after the airport near intersection towards northbound. Swooped twice but only hit the helmet once......I'll be watching you next time :evil:
Are you referring to Beatty Rd, the stretch with all the panelbeaters opposite the airfield? I've been swooped by this one before, but never struck. Maybe he's getting bolder this year! There's also one that lives near the post office on Boundary Rd. He's a swooper and beak-clacker. Yet to strike me, but maybe he's also evolved this year :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Max wrote:
Le Velo wrote:Archerfield road after the airport near intersection towards northbound. Swooped twice but only hit the helmet once......I'll be watching you next time :evil:
Are you referring to Beatty Rd, the stretch with all the panelbeaters opposite the airfield? I've been swooped by this one before, but never struck. Maybe he's getting bolder this year! There's also one that lives near the post office on Boundary Rd. He's a swooper and beak-clacker. Yet to strike me, but maybe he's also evolved this year :lol:

Max
Hi max, yes that must be the one. Just after the air field going towards Beatty road. He came from behind and hit the back of the helmet once but just lightly and then tried again but knowing he was behind I was keeping an eye out for the shadow coming down and had to lean down to avoid him
There is always one there every (if not the same but must be)

Might just have to make that stretch the sprint pea rise for the next few weeks or so ... Lol

smoran

Postby smoran » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:31 am

Anyone noticed the Magpie on the Centennary Motorway bike path at Sumner Park (near Bullockhead St)?

In the past week every time I go past there he has had a go at me. Unfortunately this is whilst I'm going at speed after coming down the hill.

Got a nice shiny red/black helmet - no cable ties / etc. Was thinking about sticking a couple of party poppers to my helmet and pulling the string when he gets close :-)

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:37 pm

gordy wrote: I have not seen the magpie at the end of the v1 at Logan rd for a couple of weeks. I did notice a sizable blood stain on the concrete and wonder if the council have removed this bird. This bird is one of the ones that goes all year round.
New season and maybe a new magpie.
A couple of the guys have been swooped at the end of the V1 at Logan Road. I've ridden this section quite a few times (six times a week) all year so far and no attack. Must be the bright white new helmet I have.

cheers

Dave

ozjolly

Postby ozjolly » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:40 pm

dclnmurray wrote:This bird is one of the ones that goes all year round.
Might be a different bird. It definitely stopped after nesting in about November last year.
gordy wrote:A couple of the guys have been swooped at the end of the V1 at Logan Road. I've ridden this section quite a few times (six times a week) all year so far and no attack.
If it's the same one as last year it's vicious! I thought I felt a warning swoop a few weeks ago but I've had nothing since.

russellgarrard

Postby russellgarrard » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:31 am

I decided to take the piss and make a statement, my helmet has more zip ties than a hardware store.

The amount of people who come up and ask what it's for...

If your cheeky, just tell them an echidna had sex with your helmet.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:24 am

I got swooped taking the Bike path that runs from Wynnum Road just before the Gateway through to Meadowlands road. First time made contact on the side of the helmet. Second time knocked my Oakleys clean off. Yes I was wearing them. Surprised the hell out of me. Came from behind, over my right shoulder and next thing I know my sunnies are on the ground.