Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Comedian

Re: Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Postby Comedian » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:38 pm

It was actually pretty dry up until the rain this morning. Good travelling. However after riding in the rain to sandgate and down KBB the bike was plastered with mud. :(

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:52 pm

G'day Comedian

I bought SKS Cromoplastic for $48 delivered from Evans Cycles recently. I think I noticed today that Ribble had them for Twenty something, but not sure about postage. Could be worth it depending on any other uses you have for that bike.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:33 pm

MountGower wrote:G'day Comedian

I bought SKS Cromoplastic for $48 delivered from Evans Cycles recently. I think I noticed today that Ribble had them for Twenty something, but not sure about postage. Could be worth it depending on any other uses you have for that bike.
Thanks mate! I have those on my commuter bike and they rock. However this morning was a shop ride so I was on the road bike. I'd be afraid someone would beat on me if I fitted them to that bike. :shock:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Ok so I've been out of town for a week. I'd love to go for a quick spin tonight to try and hold the triangle off before going away for the weekend.

Can anyone update me with how dry or otherwise the brook is?

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:59 pm

You need some Mt Gravatt repeats. (from 5pm).

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:56 am

Has anyone traveled the brook today... or more correctly Jim Sorely bikeway? Is there water on the path just before it goes under the Gateway?

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:10 pm

Comedian wrote:Has anyone traveled the brook today... or more correctly Jim Sorely bikeway? Is there water on the path just before it goes under the Gateway?
Went to Nudgee yesterday after the HPRW crit & the path was mostly puddle free even with light rain falling. The only place there was water was just after Brookside shopping centre & again behind Crushers leagues club (or near the ducks fav hangout).
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Max

Postby Max » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Lots of bicycle counting people on the KBB today, between Everton Park and Toombul. I hope they counted lots of cyclists! :)

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:10 am

Council have been putting solar powered led street lights along the brook the last few days. I'm not sure how extensively they are being installed - but they are around the junctions and sparsely between over the section I use.

Golf clap to council - it's about time!

ozjolly

Postby ozjolly » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Comedian wrote:Council have been putting solar powered led street lights along the brook the last few days. I'm not sure how extensively they are being installed - but they are around the junctions and sparsely between over the section I use.

Golf clap to council - it's about time!
Sorry to rain on your parade, but if they are anything like the solar powered led street lights they installed on the se freeway bike path near Annerley, then 9 out of 10 of them will have stopped working within about 6 months. Really makes you wonder why they bother. I bet the solar powered led lights cost a heap more than mains powered led lights or fluros.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:04 pm

ozjolly wrote:I bet the solar powered led lights cost a heap more than mains powered led lights or fluros.
That'd depend if there is mains power down there or not I'd imagine.

Though I'll bet they don't make it through the first time the creek gets up :lol:

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Yeah & when the sun goes down they'll go out.

Before you know it we'll have powdered water :roll:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:07 am

Can Brook riders check this out for me? Around the tunneling they have made a new path for us. However the merge point is unnecessarily sharp. I think it is a new hazard that we will be stuck with for ever. I think it was done that way and not a straight line merge so that the construction crew have more parking until they go. Can other people tell me if I'm being harsh here? I'm thinking of complaining.

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:36 am

Comedian wrote:Can Brook riders check this out for me? Around the tunneling they have made a new path for us. However the merge point is unnecessarily sharp. I think it is a new hazard that we will be stuck with for ever. I think it was done that way and not a straight line merge so that the construction crew have more parking until they go. Can other people tell me if I'm being harsh here? I'm thinking of complaining.
Your right - its not the best. It's an attempt at a contiuous arc, better than the T-junction before, but far from ideal, especially having it truncated like it is. Also, the 'new' path they have just laid a little to the Grange side of the photo you took, that comes up over the rise, just as you pass under Lutwyche Rd (?) isnt the best either. Where it marries back into the existing path hasnt been moulded, so its like a v-drain that is unnecessarily harsh. But I just assumed that they are all temporary paths as work progresses constructed with little thought to actual 'design', but whens finished the 'proper' paths will be installed.

To be honest, ive pretty happy that they have kept the entire connection open, given the logistical nightmare (ok, a little overstated) for the construction process with so many conflict points. Just traffic control alone - theres 5 guys fulltime at say min. $50K a pop. Then the delays for trucks/machinery/crews entering and moving about the site, negotiating multiple hold points.

But - that being said, the standard of pathwork, even if its temporary, is pretty poor. I was going the submit the other one i mentioned with a photo online to http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-co ... /index.htm
chop wood

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:04 pm

I ride that bit most days. That corner doesn't much bother me. Whether it'll be more of an issue when the construction finishes remains to be seen. If it worries you, though, bring it up. Letting them know that people care about the state of the KBB has to be a good thing. On that subject, landscapemonkey, did you get a response from the council? Last time I complained they referred me to Airportlink.

BTW I think the concrete is permanent; the old detour through there was bitumen and seems to have been temporary.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:45 pm

I think you'll find that if you hold your speed, say about 40km/hr you can use the concrete barrier as a burm & smoothly exit out the other side while hucking over a pensioner.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:57 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:I think you'll find that if you hold your speed, say about 40km/hr you can use the concrete barrier as a burm & smoothly exit out the other side while hucking over a pensioner.
:lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:55 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:I think you'll find that if you hold your speed, say about 40km/hr you can use the concrete barrier as a burm & smoothly exit out the other side while hucking over a pensioner.
:lol: :lol:
the cycle/KBBP version of the Iron Lotus... (from 2.18)

chop wood

Max

Postby Max » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:29 am

So has anyone seen the new solar lights in action yet? Are they actually useful?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:38 am

Max wrote:So has anyone seen the new solar lights in action yet? Are they actually useful?

Max
As at last night they still aren't running.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Ooooh... The solar light was on next to Montrose street this morning.

I was very impressed with the amount of light it was putting out at 5am. If they all work that well then they will be a good thing :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Be aware that there will be a diversion around the Gympie Road area from Wednesday to Saturday.

Read about it here.
From Wednesday 27 July to the evening of Saturday 30 July, 2011 Kedron Brook will be closed to pedestrians and cyclists at Gympie Road. The temporary closure will allow the safe demolition of the existing Gympie Road Bridge to take place. This can only be undertaken after the traffic realignment of Gympie Road. The removal of the bridge allows for construction of the new Northern Busway Bridge and the Airport Link off-ramp.
As part of this temporary closure alternate pedestrian and cycling access will be available. Signage will be in place to direct pedestrians and cyclists.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:39 am

It is with pleasure that I can report that all the solar lights are now operational. They work OK which will now make the brook just that little bit less dark and eerie.

Having said that they are still pretty lame when you compare it to the cost and effort that goes into lighting most roads out there. The lighting is generally only at some of the major junctions in the heaviest trafficked parts. Once you pass Webster road heading towards Shand St there are no lights, and that is an area that gets the least help from the surroundings unlike some of the other areas that have quite good lighting a few nights a week when the sports clubs are operating.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:58 pm

I have just been called back from the brisconnections community hotline and the works have been delayed and Kedron Brook bikepath will be out until Friday apparently.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:51 am

Crikeys it was cold along the KBB yesterday morning.
Especially Near South Pine Rd, where there was a fog.
Nice if you are prepared for it. :wink: