Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

winstonw

Re: Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Postby winstonw » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:08 pm

marinmomma wrote:The snake stories have got to stop....not keen to ride out to Nudgee again, certainly not on my own, except during winter!
Maybe it is safer to ride at night. Never seen a snake on the trail then :D
There's a group of HPRW's who occasionally do a fish and chip run from the crit down to Doug's, in the dark. On the last ride there were 18 of us. God help anything that didn't see the 30+kph wall of Ay Ups sweeping through the Wetlands.

Max

Postby Max » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:30 pm

marinmomma wrote:The snake stories have got to stop....not keen to ride out to Nudgee again, certainly not on my own, except during winter!
+lots. Please stop, guys! I've seen one small red-bellied black in all the times I've ridden that path. Don't freak me out with tales of Anaconda-sized behemoths. :shock:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Max

Postby Max » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:32 pm

winstonw wrote:Maybe it is safer to ride at night. Never seen a snake on the trail then :D
I have.

Ok I'm going to stop posting now. I'm hoping to set the example so everyone will just shut up about the snakes already!!!!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Max wrote:
winstonw wrote:Maybe it is safer to ride at night. Never seen a snake on the trail then :D
I have.

Ok I'm going to stop posting now. I'm hoping to set the example so everyone will just shut up about the snakes already!!!!

Max
Lisa

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:56 pm

How about the cane toads during the wet season? You couldn't ride 50 metres on the Soorley trail without ..... p-pop!!! :P

Seriously though, I get just as freaked at the sight of a snake as any snake-o-phobic. That's why I want to better understand their reaction to a fast moving bike. I've always imagined the worst, that they'd attack the soft fleshy bits within range - my ankles/calfs. But the few close encounters have proven otherwise.

And yet, I've got my first aid plan well and truly rehearsed - stop immediately, apply tubigrip compression bandage (used to store spare tubes within), rip off jersey to apply more lymphatic delay bandage, relax, breathe easy, phone 000. :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:23 pm

Max wrote:
I have.

Max
Oh Oh... Max is getting snakey... I mean upset.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:04 pm

winstonw wrote: Seriously though, I get just as freaked at the sight of a snake as any snake-o-phobic.
Don't worry about the snakes. What about the spiders ?

Those new solar powered wonders along the path will be sure to act as spider magnets as insects swarm around the light.

I can see the sequence of events leading to the explanation of why you rode into creek. Swerved to miss R-r-r--oger the slimy snake only to land on a toad (Terrence) then slide into Charlotte's web temporarily blinding me resulting in a plunge into the duck pond with Daffy & his mates.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:08 am

ZepinAtor wrote:
winstonw wrote: Seriously though, I get just as freaked at the sight of a snake as any snake-o-phobic.
Don't worry about the snakes. What about the spiders ?

Those new solar powered wonders along the path will be sure to act as spider magnets as insects swarm around the light.

I can see the sequence of events leading to the explanation of why you rode into creek. Swerved to miss R-r-r--oger the slimy snake only to land on a toad (Terrence) then slide into Charlotte's web temporarily blinding me resulting in a plunge into the duck pond with Daffy & his mates.
You forgot the collision with Thomas the turkey. :mrgreen:

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:22 pm

Yesterday on the KBB there was a huge slime pit just before the major road works heading east.

Now don't get me wrong I really enjoy a good muddy MTB race & don't mind grinding my brakes back to bare metal, but on the bike path ?

Lots of deep puddles & mud in other sections as well. You'd think the council or somebody would put in a little drainage here & there :roll:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:51 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Yesterday on the KBB there was a huge slime pit just before the major road works heading east.

Now don't get me wrong I really enjoy a good muddy MTB race & don't mind grinding my brakes back to bare metal, but on the bike path ?

Lots of deep puddles & mud in other sections as well. You'd think the council or somebody would put in a little drainage here & there :roll:
I think the problem is they have damed it and use pumps to pass the water. When it rains it over flows and causes havoc on the bike path. Luckily it's just the bike path though... they have billions of dollars to spend to build a tunnel for those cars. I wonder if it was cleaned up today? I might go an alternate route tomorrow morning.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:18 pm

The sludge pit is completely gone & has been cleaned up really well.

Only a couple of muddy puddles with the usual diversion up onto the grass.

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:07 pm

Took a run to Sandgate from Grange last weekend on the new bike, a relatively heavy Surly Big Dummy. Havnet weighed it yet, but im thinking about the 16-18kg mark. Trip was about 70klm all up, all done at a fairiy good clip (havnet fit a speedo yet). But this is what i love about KBB sometimes, nice and flat, through some great landscapes, urban areas and allows you to get to some very different and distant places relatively quickly with a minimum of fuss.

Another quick 40klm dash to Nudgee Beach today. Turned into quite a social trip. Ended up stopping a few times to talk to a number of fellow Surly riders, including a chap on a Long Haul Trucker who has provided the final motivation for me to consider some semi-serious touring, hopefully by the end of the year. As well as meeting Comedian/steve for the first time closer to home after being lured by the charms (or oddity) of the Big Dummy. Great to finally meet you.

Off to Redcliffe tomorrow at sparrows. Keen to clock up a 100klm trip on the BD. Should be a nutbuster on an 18kg bike, but still in the honeymoon period, so all will be forgiven.

KBB perfect for so many options. I was getting bored with it over the last 6 months, but have found a new found love of it again. Maybe its just the dawn of spring, the cracking sunny days and the waft of jasmine in the air.....
chop wood

ray

Postby ray » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:06 pm

I thought you guys were getting carried away with the snake stories but believe you now. Came across a red belly black snake in the middle of the path towards Nudgee road at midday today. As I went by it kind of snapped around towards me.....not fun!

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:13 pm

ray wrote: As I went by it kind of snapped around towards me.....not fun!
Aaahh yes now you've met "Snaparoundsally".

You have to watch her carefully or you'll become a nowayray.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:31 am

ray wrote:I thought you guys were getting carried away with the snake stories but believe you now. Came across a red belly black snake in the middle of the path towards Nudgee road at midday today. As I went by it kind of snapped around towards me.....not fun!
Maybe we can get more precise with our reported sightings. Either we'll discover there's dozens of snakes, or the same 4 suspects over and over.

Did a run up to Sandgate mid morning and didn't see anything. Going to Scarborough at sparrow's tomorrow via Sandgate Rd, and may come back via Wetlands/KBB. as I've said before, I've seen snakes more mid morning to mid afternoon.

Max

Postby Max » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:30 am

I'm riding to Nudgee beach today. I really would prefer not to know about the snakes, thanks very much! Denial, denial, denial.... :shock:

Max

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:56 am

Max wrote:I'm riding to Nudgee beach today. I really would prefer not to know about the snakes, thanks very much! Denial, denial, denial.... :shock:

Max
Damn I thought we were going to have fun on CQ. Let us know your room number and I'll visit you :)

Max

Postby Max » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am

Comedian wrote:Damn I thought we were going to have fun on CQ. Let us know your room number and I'll visit you :)
In a completely different context, your missus would have a problem with that :lol:

No snakes to be seen today. Rode out to Nudgee Beach via the KBB/MBC.. all good. Did get a few spots of rain on the way back. Rainy, windy, cold.. just perfect! :lol:

Max

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Max wrote:
Comedian wrote:Damn I thought we were going to have fun on CQ. Let us know your room number and I'll visit you :)
In a completely different context, your missus would have a problem with that :lol:

No snakes to be seen today. Rode out to Nudgee Beach via the KBB/MBC.. all good. Did get a few spots of rain on the way back. Rainy, windy, cold.. just perfect! :lol:

Max
LOL! I could see how that could be quite incriminating.. :mrgreen:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:53 pm

I might get a few of these.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:27 pm

Passed this little fella this arvo. and went back to grab a snap. The two girls with me wouldn't come back.
Coloring is a lighter brown than many of the browns I've seen, but it is quite young at 1.5 foot.
Not a great pic for sure, but I didn't want to ride past it again to get on the sunside in case it shot through.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:30 am

Not officially part of KBB, but came across a 2.5 foot brown scurrying across the trail yesterday near the Boondall Entertainment Centre about 10am. So it must be official snake season.

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:10 pm

Headed home from work along the path tonight between Stafford & Toombul. Lots of low lying fog around at the moment.

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:05 pm

I came across this snake tonight on the way home between Toombul Terrace and the Railway Bridge. I was lucky not to run him over and had to warn a runner not to disturb him. He eventually slithered off the path into the garden bed beside the track.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:25 am

Resident 7 foot carpet python Nundah Criterium track beside Kedron Brook Bikeway.
We were doing laps yesterday arvo on a clear track, then suddenly he is sprawled across it. He moved quite fast for such a large carpet python.