Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

PawPaw

Re: Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Postby PawPaw » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:31 pm

landscapecadmonkey wrote:First magpie strike of the season for me. On the pathway, near the Swinburne St, Gordon Park entry about 10am this morning
Might be the same one that was there last year. He had a very wide attack area. He'd attack for 75 or so metres either side of Swinburne turnoff, and all the way over onto Tindal St. Last year, he attacked me as I crossed to the northside of the creek and up onto Tindal St and along it for 80 odd metres. Hit me 3 times and kept trying to contact despite my hand waving. A Tindal St resident who saw it all said he was particularly aggressive and had been attacking walkers along their street consistently. I complained to BCC. They contacted me about 8 weeks later at the end of magpie season, to say there was nothing they could do because they are native fauna :roll: (I'd already asked them not to use that excuse, as salt water crocodiles, dingoes, snakes, and sharks are native, but relocated routinely.)

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:27 pm

PawPaw wrote:Might be the same one that was there last year.
Yes... this one has got me more than once over the last few years.

Council have innumerable ideologically driven policies that aren't grounded in either science or logic.

I love this from their website
Living with wildlife
While some native animals can have nuisance behaviours, such as swooping magpies and noisy crows, the benefits of living with wildlife outweigh the negative impacts.

Nuisance indeed. A swoop and a nip ok, but this one had more in mind..
chop wood

ttp

Postby ttp » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:35 am

landscapecadmonkey wrote:First magpie strike of the season for me. On the pathway, near the Swinburne St, Gordon Park entry about 10am this morning.
Thinkink about it I've passed that place twice on same day, around 9am and 11am on a way back - nothing happened. How about reporting it to Magpie Map, http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/magpiemap , it may warn others.

Got my first knock on the helmet yesterday in Shorncliffe. Very surprising on busy path full of people wondering around, the bird didn't like me for some reason.

Max

Postby Max » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:00 am

The Swinburne St magpie is very persistent. :(

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 am

There's another one directly adjacent to Boondall Train Station in the car park. No contact yet, but was swooping me pretty close. I've resorted to cutting through the Entertainment Centre to avoid him.

I've ridden up to Scarborough a few times in the last 2 weeks and not been bothered. Where's the one in Shorncliffe?

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:11 am

My partner received a nice hole near her temple (upper cheek) on Saturday from one of the more savage little peckers.

Blood down her face & a nice bruise from the impact. I should have taken a photo, but cleaned up the mess before I'd thought about it.

Not sure of the exact location, but it's the longish straight just after all the path works heading towards the ocean (East). Just after the duck feeding area.

On another note I was hissed at by a duck. He tried charging at me aero style:- head down, flat back just like a little duck torpedo. One word of advice ducky, bladed spokes are not good for your hair-do !
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:32 am

Do you mean 4 or 5th Avenue in Sandgate which are the streets opposite the first small lagoon/Duck pond?

I was doing 40-50kph down Kirby Road in Aspley on my way back to Shorncliffe when I had a magpie swoop at me going past the leagues club there. Didn't know it at the time but laughed my ass off when I reviewed the GoPro footage and seeing this magpie line me up and swooping at me over and over while I was blissfully unaware and glancing at the gopro after every swoop (I thought it was the GoPro on the dropbar rattling from the crappy road surface haha).

ttp

Postby ttp » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:20 pm

PawPaw wrote:There's another one directly adjacent to Boondall Train Station in the car park. No contact yet, but was swooping me pretty close. I've resorted to cutting through the Entertainment Centre to avoid him.
Can't understand those birds, passed there twice last Sunday and nothing. Will avoid in the future.
PawPaw wrote:I've ridden up to Scarborough a few times in the last 2 weeks and not been bothered. Where's the one in Shorncliffe?
My mistake, it's really Sandgate, Flinders Pde. between Arthur Davis Park and 7th Ave. Didn't expect anything with so many people and kids around on Sunday morning and I have passed same spot incident free an hour or so before.

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:59 pm

I haven't ridden all winter. Is it road bike safe yet or still need to take CX bike?

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:04 pm

Max wrote:The Swinburne St magpie is very persistent. :(

Max
Hahaha saw that one today :) Fortunately there was a group of 6 slow riders coming the other way, and maggie was targeting them and ignored me as we crossed paths. Turned around to watch and she/he kept at them for a good distance!!

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:46 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:My partner received a nice hole near her temple (upper cheek) on Saturday from one of the more savage little peckers.

Blood down her face & a nice bruise from the impact. I should have taken a photo, but cleaned up the mess before I'd thought about it.

Not sure of the exact location, but it's the longish straight just after all the path works heading towards the ocean (East). Just after the duck feeding area.

On another note I was hissed at by a duck. He tried charging at me aero style:- head down, flat back just like a little duck torpedo. One word of advice ducky, bladed spokes are not good for your hair-do !
Sounds like the same one ...
waynohh wrote:I haven't ridden all winter. Is it road bike safe yet or still need to take CX bike?
ridden on 23mm tyres... bit of gravel, and grass.. but rideable.
chop wood

Max

Postby Max » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 am

I did a quick Nudgee jaunt a couple days ago. On the way back, I was bailed up by a fellow cyclist coming the other way (ie he had just cycled the Swinburne St gauntlet). He said the bird had taken a piece out of his ear. I did see spots of blood on the path later on, so I don't doubt he was hurt by the bird. I ended up dismounting and walking for a while next to a lady with a pram. She said she was aware of a magpie in the nearby park, and that there were signs alerting people to its presence. It's a shame such a sign couldn't be placed near the bike path where cyclists are harassed by this magpie on a daily basis.

After a while, I saw another cyclist heading the opposite way and asked if he'd been attacked. He said no, so I got back on the bike and went my merry way. No bird strikes, but I have to say I was feeling very apprehensive.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:02 pm

If this little b*gger is drawing blood has anyone complained to parks and wildlife (or what ever they are called now)
I am pretty sure if they case injury they can be removed.

I have found this on DERM (department of environment & resouse management) try saying that ten times fast :wink:
http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/wildlife/livi ... 110915.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:10 pm

landscapecadmonkey wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote: On another note I was hissed at by a duck !
Sounds like the same one ...
Yep he's a savage little quacker.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:38 pm

I complained to the Brisbane City Council last year about this besterd.....see above.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:38 pm

I believe they have opened up the bike way again. I rode past the fencing at the library turnoff and it had been removed. :)

CapitalMistake

Postby CapitalMistake » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Had my first outing on the KBB today, absolutely loved it.

I'm originally from Yorkshire in the UK, to have such a nice cycleway so close to the city is awesome. Fortunately, I live just 2 minutes are from the Nundah raceway so will be venturing out on it more often than not. Rather than carrying on to Nudgee Beach, I turned off through the Wetlands. Being a Pom, every little rustle in the undergrowth had me on full alert (still adapting to Australian wildlife), but was a really nice ride. I ride a MTB which is obviously close to a must for the Wetlands bikeway leg.

Again, what an amazing bikeway the KBB really is. Not even one magpie attack either, always a bonus!

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:48 am

CapitalMistake wrote:Had my first outing on the KBB today, absolutely loved it.

I'm originally from Yorkshire in the UK, to have such a nice cycleway so close to the city is awesome. Fortunately, I live just 2 minutes are from the Nundah raceway so will be venturing out on it more often than not. Rather than carrying on to Nudgee Beach, I turned off through the Wetlands. Being a Pom, every little rustle in the undergrowth had me on full alert (still adapting to Australian wildlife), but was a really nice ride. I ride a MTB which is obviously close to a must for the Wetlands bikeway leg.

Again, what an amazing bikeway the KBB really is. Not even one magpie attack either, always a bonus!
Welcome capitalmistake.... the only magpies ive encounter from Grange to Sandgate are i) the swinburne-mauler and ii) at the back of the Entertainment Centre, in the car park near that trainstation.

The only place ive come across a few snakes was on the bike path at the back of the golf course... but it was a medium sized brown, so gave it a wiiiide berth

The worst thing at the moment (apart from the swinburne-assassin) are the swarms of bugs between Grange and Toombul. Have had more than a few pre-breakfast meals while travelling at a bit of speed.

For me, the ride from Wilston to Nudgee Beach is a perfect short run that i try to do most other days. Occasionally turning left into the wetlands to head to Sandgate, all on a road bike. Im still amazed that i can start from inner city, ride to Nudgee beach, feel miles from nowhere when i walk out onto the mudflats amongst the mangroves. Back on the bike and be home for breakfast.

Enjoy
chop wood

CapitalMistake

Postby CapitalMistake » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:18 pm

landscapecadmonkey wrote:
Welcome capitalmistake.... the only magpies ive encounter from Grange to Sandgate are i) the swinburne-mauler and ii) at the back of the Entertainment Centre, in the car park near that trainstation.

The only place ive come across a few snakes was on the bike path at the back of the golf course... but it was a medium sized brown, so gave it a wiiiide berth

The worst thing at the moment (apart from the swinburne-assassin) are the swarms of bugs between Grange and Toombul. Have had more than a few pre-breakfast meals while travelling at a bit of speed.

For me, the ride from Wilston to Nudgee Beach is a perfect short run that i try to do most other days. Occasionally turning left into the wetlands to head to Sandgate, all on a road bike. Im still amazed that i can start from inner city, ride to Nudgee beach, feel miles from nowhere when i walk out onto the mudflats amongst the mangroves. Back on the bike and be home for breakfast.

Enjoy
Thanks for the welcome!

I spoke far to soon. Went out again this morning, and suffered at the hands (or beak) of a nasty little 'pie. To be honest, it was on the corner of Vernon St/Melton Road in Nundah, which is on my way to joining the KBB. Again, the ride was great.

If anyone finds a piece of ear knocking about, please let me know!

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:11 pm

Take your snorkel !!

The depth marker at the northern end of the crit track was at .6 of a metre this morning at 9am.

Once the water starts going over the axles it's time to go home.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:34 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Take your snorkel !!

The depth marker at the northern end of the crit track was at .6 of a metre this morning at 9am.

Once the water starts going over the axles it's time to go home.
Was talking to a guy in Nundah this morning who had ridden through KBB, Wetlands, and along Sandgate foreshore around 730am, on a CX. He said the worst was the foreshore, as the wind was well over 40knots. and a storm surge and 945am high tide had the water breaking onto the grass.

I had a look about an hour ago, and there's a lot of trees along the front of Flinders Pde that have been uprooted. The wind and gusts are unfrikkinbelievable. BOM obs say 45knot wind and 50+ knot (100kph) gusts at nearby Redcliffe. Certainly felt like it. There were lots of large jellyfish on the west side of Flinders Pde near Dougs Cafe, about 60 metres inland.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 pm

1.8m at Sandgate road.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Might have something to do with the 190+mm since 9am ;)

Haven't been down to the brook this far up (Everton Park) but imagine its steaming.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Webster road - Boondall Wetlands is under water. I rode along the bikeway and it only had water over parts. 2 hours later it was flooded and 1.8m under water. The wetlands had multiple trees downed across it. I just missed a falling branch from one of the trees (wasn't big, just made up of lots of small twigs). Nudgee Road had debris all over it. Including very large rocks from the retaining wall (was down to 1 zig zag lane). Further along the bikeway towards the crit circuit there was debris such as some foam right up to 2m long bits of wood and a car wheel including rim. I went flying down Sandgate road into a headwind. Normally I can easily hit 60kph but struggled to press 20kph. I was just amazed at how wide the waters rose and how quick it did.

Its from a while ago but when I was there it was still visually rising quickly. Sorry about the size if there are too large for some users. I'm posting this through a VPN because as you guessed it I have no power. Yay!

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Nice pics there Luke - exactly what I expected to see!