Popular Bike Shops
Join the Cycling Forums on Strava
Australian Cycling Forums on Strava
Latest Reviews and Articles
Will your next bike be Intelligent? ABS and Smart Bike Tech
Vitus Vitesse EVO Disc Review – Speed Machine indeed!
- Posts: 92
- Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: New Farm Brisbane
I live in New Farm and I have been driving to the shopping center but would like to ride there and back to make the ride a bit longer.
Can anyone suggest a relatively safe and direct way to get there?
- Posts: 71
- Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:17 pm
mrjones wrote:Can anyone suggest a relatively safe and direct way to get there?
Hmm... the route I would choose, starting from the New Farm park:
Brunswick st, turn right onto Sydney st, turn left onto Lamington st. At traffic lights turn right onto Merthyr rd and continue onto Macquarie st, Vernon tce, Skyring Tce and the new road which is not marked on Google maps yet. In fact, the last 5 streets is the same road, no turns.
On Skyring Tce turn right at traffic lights (there's a crossing "in the middle of nowhere"), follow until the end and turn left onto Evelyn st and then Newstead tce. Turn right onto the footpath at the traffic lights where Newstead Ave crosses Breakfast Creek rd. Ride over the bridge, then follow the path under the bridge. From Breakfast Creek Hotel use any route to get to Sandgate road - I usually turn left after the bridge, go past Ace Rental Cars and turn right at the crossing.
Follow Sandgate road, pass the maccas, wait on the traffic lights and go up the hill. You can take the footpath if you don't like the traffic but it should be ok on Saturday/Sunday morning. At the top of the hill turn _left_ onto Albion overpass and then straight away _right_ onto Hudson road. Follow Hudson rd until you get to the top of another hill, where the road turns left and then right again onto Bridge st, passing over the railway. Ride to the traffic lights.
From there you have lots of options...
1. Continue straight along Bridge st/Dickson st for about 2 km, turn left at the roundabout, turn right onto Junction rd, after ~100m turn left onto Keith st. Continue until the end - you're at Kalinga park. Find the bike path which goes to the shopping centre.
2. Turn left onto the Chalk st, follow until it crosses Lutwyche rd. Cross Lutwyche rd, go down Thistle st and you'll see Kedron Brook bikeway, which will get you to Kalinga park
3. Turn left onto Chalk st and then right onto Kedron Park rd. Follow it until it crosses Lutwyche rd, go under the bridge and you'll find Kedron Brook bikeway there.
The route should be quite safe and mostly low traffic, especially on a Saturday/Sunday morning. You can modify some bits for less traffic or more speed if you wish (for example, you can take the riverwalk from New Farm park to the jetty if you prefer joggers to cars)
- Posts: 1337
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:45 pm
- Location: New Farm, Brisbane
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:13 am
- Posts: 281
- Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:39 pm
- Location: Brisbane
(road is too busy IMO) and follow it to Riverview Tce (cross at the lights) follow that up to Windermere then right into kitchener rd - take that one because it gives you a set of lights to cross Landcaster (which is pretty busy). Stay on that road, cross the railway line and the road becomes Zillman go up the hill and take a left into Gellibrand Rd (just over the rise)
and then right at that roundabout into Widdop (you are out the front of aviation high) and follow that along and as you go under the East West Arterial you are at Toombul shopping centre.
That is pretty much the safest route I have found and I commute on it 3 to 4 days a week (I go from Tarragindi to Virginia)
Hope that helps
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
- General Australian Cycling Topics
- Info / announcements
- Buying a bike / parts
- General Cycling Discussion
- The Bike Shed
- Cycling Health
- Cycling Safety and Advocacy
- Women's Cycling
- Bike & Gear Reviews
- Cycling Trade
- Stolen Bikes
- Bicycle FAQs
- Serious Biking
- Audax / Randonneuring
- Retro biking
- Fixed Gear/ Single Speed
- Electric Bicycles
- Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers
- Children's Bikes
- Road Racing
- Road Biking
- Time Trial
- International and National Tours and Events
- Cycle Touring
- Touring Australia
- Touring Overseas
- Touring Bikes and Equipment
- Western Australia
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Country & Regional
- The Market Place
- Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales
- Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap
- My Bikes or Gear Elsewhere
- Cycling Brands
- Malvern Star
- Custom Builders
- Generic Carbon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users