Gap Creek Road circuit in under an hour anyone ?

elantra

Gap Creek Road circuit in under an hour anyone ?

Postby elantra » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:45 am

Just wondering if this has been done by anyone.
I am not a gun cyclist but did it in 68 minutes in damp and humid conditions this morning.
Did it in the Kenmore to Gap direction on road bike with usual water and spares kit.
Including time Stopped at all red lights.
Via Payne road, Waterworks rd, Davies rd, Bowman parade, Simpsons rd, Western FWY bikpath, Moggill Rd, Brookfield rd.
Needed tO use the inner chainring and 25 tooth rear sprocket for the steepest bits and had to use the brakes a bit more than usual on the wet hairpins.
This just adds to the excitement.

Weekends is much better on this road because it is a tradies commuter route on the weekday mornings.
This ride would suite ornithologists because of the melodic Bell-bird colony at the Brookfield side of the range.
Steve.

heay

Re: Gap Creek Road circuit in under an hour anyone ?

Postby heay » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Can you put a link to the circuit you did? I would gladly have a big crack at it. :D

term

Postby term » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:33 pm

he kinda means a softer version of this route

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58126421

Ignore the speed, was with a person on an mtb so could only go as fast as them :)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:37 am

elantra wrote:Just wondering if this has been done by anyone.
I am not a gun cyclist but did it in 68 minutes in damp and humid conditions this morning.
Did it in the Kenmore to Gap direction on road bike with usual water and spares kit.
Including time Stopped at all red lights.
Via Payne road, Waterworks rd, Davies rd, Bowman parade, Simpsons rd, Western FWY bikpath, Moggill Rd, Brookfield rd.
Needed tO use the inner chainring and 25 tooth rear sprocket for the steepest bits and had to use the brakes a bit more than usual on the wet hairpins.
This just adds to the excitement.

Weekends is much better on this road because it is a tradies commuter route on the weekday mornings.
This ride would suite ornithologists because of the melodic Bell-bird colony at the Brookfield side of the range.
Steve.

Nice ride elantra !!!

I live in Brookfield and my riding normally consists of just commuting every day with the occasional Friday morning river loop.

I am however looking to do some recreational riding over the Christmas break and this route looks interesting. I would be looking to avoid narrow streets and high traffic areas though. You've mentioned the tradie commute on week days but that should be ok over the holidays if I start at 5:30am. How is the route on the other side re safety? And do you use Simpsons Rd to get onto Samuel Griffith Drive (Mt Coottha Rd) or where do you actually join the Western FWY bikepath?

I'm going to do a few loops of Mt Coottha too over the Xmas break.

I'm no gun either so happy to post my time if you plot me a map with a start and stop point.

Cheers

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:28 pm

heay wrote:Can you put a link to the circuit you did? I would gladly have a big crack at it. :D
After some trial and error i have hopefully managed to construct a bikely map of this ride.
Note many minor variations of route would be possible, some more or less appropriate depending on the time of day (traffic conditions) and the direction of travel (clockwise or anti-clockwise)
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/475960

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:48 pm

:D Done (clockwise) in 57 minutes today, with minor alteration of route at The Gap and Bardon. :mrgreen:
Took advantage of a period of afternoon sunshine between rain showers.
Next challenge is to try the other direction.

Definitely felt a hard climb, not as long as Coottha but a bit steeper in places.

Has been so much rain there is water oozing onto the road in so many places some of them corners.
The least pleasant part of the ride is Moggill Rd between Marshall Rd and the Roundabout.
Some think it is a motorway, but genuine thanks are owing to the motorist who "shielded behind me" on this bit of road.
Waterworks Rd is also unpleasant but there is alternative options (bike path or footpath)
Highlight is probably descending on Dillon road :D
Soon after roundabout where Dillon becomes Payne Rd it is narrow and there is nasty ripple in the road surface. :!:
Almost fell off. :(

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:07 pm

elantra wrote: The least pleasant part of the ride is Moggill Rd between Marshall Rd and the Roundabout.
I commute home this way every weekday and that section of road is simply unsafe to share with cars. I only ever use it at 5am.

At normal peak times, the safe way is to go via cedarleigh road, bypassing Moggill Rd between Marshall Rd and the Kenmore roundabout.

My actual outbound commute path from the Intersection of the Western FWY bikepath and Moggill Rd, through to where I veer off of Brookfield Rd (past the Kenmore roundabout) is shown at the following link:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/237768

Even if you only do the Cedarleigh Rd diversion it is so much safer.

You've inspired me with your challenge, so now lets just make it safe, and you've got a challenge :)

PS I'm 42 and only been back on a bike for 12 months after 12 years off, and was crap in the prime of my life, so no ego or genuine threat here. I just like the idea of the route you posted and want to give it a go :)

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Rhubarb wrote:At normal peak times, the safe way is to go via cedarleigh road, bypassing Moggill Rd between Marshall Rd and the Kenmore roundabout.

My actual outbound commute path from the Intersection of the Western FWY bikepath and Moggill Rd, through to where I veer off of Brookfield Rd (past the Kenmore roundabout) is shown at the following link:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/237768

Even if you only do the Cedarleigh Rd diversion it is so much safer.
Thanks for that, Yes Cedarleigh Road looks like the way to go.
Steve

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:17 am

Got stood up by my riding buddies this morning so sneeked in ride over GapCreek road, Anti-clockwise

Later heard my buddies got dumped on by a rain burst and had retreated to a coffee shop !
The the anti-clockwise route seems easier and overall more pleasant, but this might depend a bit on traffic conditions etc

Certainly on a warm Sunday morning, from Ashgrove through to Kenmore is extremely pleasant ride.

Safe cycling to all,
Steve

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:13 pm

term wrote:he kinda means a softer version of this route

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58126421

Ignore the speed, was with a person on an mtb so could only go as fast as them :)
Yes that incorporates the new Gap Creek road, but the loop is closed with a much larger distance.

Had another visit to Gap Creek yesterday morning, this time UNABLE to do it less than 1 hour.

Of course this was mostly because the Brookfield creek was over the road and i had to pedal through 4 inches of water for approx 30 meters. :mrgreen:

Riding buddy was not amused, first time his new Cannondale has been through floodwaters :shock: