When will this rain ever stop???

Jester

Postby Jester » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:30 pm

This is getting beyond a joke!!! :(

i took delivery of my new Trek a few weeks ago and have only gotten 2 road rides in.

The MTB rides have been nice and Muddy :D
2011 Trek Madone 5.5
Specialized FSR MTB

marinmomma

Re: When will this rain ever stop???

Postby marinmomma » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:37 pm

Just saw the weather forecast and there were pictures of the sun for Friday, Saturday AND Sunday :D ....I'm over the rain, I have 4 days off and it looks like it'll be too wet to ride...
Lisa

gordy

Postby gordy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:47 pm

I blame Greg, the weather God.
Next 48 hours are going to be big ones.
I miss riding :( .

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:11 pm

The odd passing shower I could handle, but this set in rain isn't enjoyable to ride in...even when it clears there'll be pot-holes everywhere.
Lisa

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:20 pm

Heading up to Gold Coast after New Year and don't want to lug my bikes 900 km for nothin'. Really hope whoever's brung all this rain on us will have had his bit of fun by next week and will naff off. Won't object if it's sooner rather than later.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:22 pm

got in a 52km ride yesterday in the morning and a 54km ride in the afternoon, only a bit of standing water on the road.

today however.......... :( :(

Max

Postby Max » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:32 pm

I told myself I'd ride tomorrow, no matter what. Now I'm not so sure. :(

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:48 pm

Maybe we should get a Brisbane weather thread happening.
My treasured lawn is beginning to die and we were already water logged 2 days ago

dobby

Postby dobby » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:56 pm

I think the rain is forecast until New Years eve - that sucks :-(

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:01 pm

I just heard we have torrential rain to look forward to tonight too

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:04 pm

The Womble wrote:I just heard we have torrential rain to look forward to tonight too

Great! More wet stuff :roll:

My backyard is starting to look like a swimming pool.

Could always be worse...like the poor buggers up north stranded on the Bruce Highway, not the best way to spend the holidays!
Lisa

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:34 pm

marinmomma wrote: My backyard is starting to look like a swimming pool.
Max wrote:I told myself I'd ride tomorrow, no matter what. Now I'm not so sure. :(

Max
Still wondering what to buy for Xmas ? Maybe something like this guy's bike might be useful
Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:55 pm

Doesn't anyone in QLD have a bike trainer? Or how about mudguards? Had it too good for too long?

How does the advert go?

"Beautiful one day, raining for weeks..." :P

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Well I'm scheduled to have a Mt Cootha attack tomorrow morning. I suspect I'm going to set the alarm for five, look at the weather radar, and then text everybody to say the ride is off :(

Fortunately it's looking good for later in the week, but that isn't going to help me get to 1000k this month :(

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:30 am

Comedian wrote:Well I'm scheduled to have a Mt Cootha attack tomorrow morning. I suspect I'm going to set the alarm for five, look at the weather radar, and then text everybody to say the ride is off :(

Fortunately it's looking good for later in the week, but that isn't going to help me get to 1000k this month :(
We don't mind riding in the rain Mr Comedian & plan on going out for at least 3-4hrs first thing in the morning. Might do Dayboro/ Mt Mee or the flooded bikeway to Nudgee/ Redcliff which could be fun on the SS roadies. I do believe we are only 2km away in Everton Hills so drop us a PM if your soft riding mates pull the pin.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:27 am

it is pretty soggy, good thing I just finished up building my cross-check (with mudguards).

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:10 am

Misty morning on the Taylor ranges this morning.
Mountain bike is the better option in this weather.
Gap creek circuit was nice but a little slow as you would expect, 75 min.
Road closed by water over the road but navigable by bike.
This washed most of the mud off. :D
Did see some hardy roadies coming off Mt Coottha, they are the brave ones!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:02 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
Comedian wrote:Well I'm scheduled to have a Mt Cootha attack tomorrow morning. I suspect I'm going to set the alarm for five, look at the weather radar, and then text everybody to say the ride is off :(

We don't mind riding in the rain Mr Comedian & plan on going out for at least 3-4hrs first thing in the morning. Might do Dayboro/ Mt Mee or the flooded bikeway to Nudgee/ Redcliff which could be fun on the SS roadies. I do believe we are only 2km away in Everton Hills so drop us a PM if your soft riding mates pull the pin.
Thanks for the invite although I didn't see it until too late.

I sent the cancellation text, and went back to sleep. I ended up going for a ride with Max on Kedron Brook. It was very very wet!

Max

Postby Max » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Did a quick run out to Nudgee and back with Comedian this morning. As expected, lots of puddles, some of them deep. The deepest resulted in submerged feet, but thankfully my booties kept the water out. Lots of muck and dreck on the paths too. The Kedron Brook is looking pretty swollen. If this rain keeps up, I'd expect it to flood. The Gympie Rd underpass was not passable. It looked to be a good foot or two under water. We took the exit to Gympie Rd and took the back streets in Clayfield to rejoin the path near Kalinga Park. The Nudgee stretch of path has lots of crap on it, but it can all be avoided with a bit of skilful steering.

I wore full rain gear and it did eventually get soaked through, about 1.5 hours into it. I ended up taking the sleeves off my rain jacket, and took the rain pants off altogether (yes, I had knicks underneath!!). It was a pretty comfortable ride home. MaxBabe was on her way to the shops when she saw me riding down Stafford Rd. She reckons I looked like a drowned rat! Oh well, at least I was having a good time :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:06 pm

I've given up on expecting to get a ride in for this weekend...pinning all my hopes on the New Years weekend being co-operative.

I was meant to ride to the coast tomorrow morning, looking at the radar at the moment and I think that a boat will be the preferred mode of transport required in SEQ soon.
Lisa

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Comedian wrote: I ended up going for a ride with Max on Kedron Brook. It was very very wet!
You rotten buggers. We ended up not going out & have been attempting to transfer all our PC files to a new iMac. Has taken most of the day to do about 15minutes of transferring. Still time for a run/ gym workout/indoor trainer session blah blah blah, eat more leftovers.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:36 pm

I just looked at the BOM website. It seems that the amount of rain forecast has been downgraded a lot to a few showers each day from rain periods. Good news perhaps, depending on your plans.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:11 am

Gap Creek circuit this morning, forgive me my decision to ride a fat-tyre bike given the weather conditions.

Max

Postby Max » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:08 am

elantra wrote:Gap Creek circuit this morning, forgive me my decision to ride a fat-tyre bike given the weather conditions.

So... the creek.. that's the bit on the left, or the bit on the right? :lol:

Max

tomns

Postby tomns » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:04 pm

^ wow !

Managed to get out this morning around 8.30 or so and did a quick river loop, got rained on from UQ to just along toward King Arthur Tce, not all that bad really.
Headwind was much more of a problem - felt a little bit stormy out, bit like a the tail end of a cyclone.

Have to head back to work tomorrow and going to try and ride (Tarragindi to Virginia) see how it looks when I wake up I suppose.

I see BOM has said Thur and Fri are "Fine" - looking forward to that !

Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif