When will this rain ever stop???

Re: When will this rain ever stop???

Postby tomns » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:04 pm

^ wow !

Managed to get out this morning around 8.30 or so and did a quick river loop, got rained on from UQ to just along toward King Arthur Tce, not all that bad really.
Headwind was much more of a problem - felt a little bit stormy out, bit like a the tail end of a cyclone.

Have to head back to work tomorrow and going to try and ride (Tarragindi to Virginia) see how it looks when I wake up I suppose.

I see BOM has said Thur and Fri are "Fine" - looking forward to that !

Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif
tomns

by BNA » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:02 pm

BNA

Postby Comedian » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:02 pm

tomns wrote:^ wow !

Managed to get out this morning around 8.30 or so and did a quick river loop, got rained on from UQ to just along toward King Arthur Tce, not all that bad really.
Headwind was much more of a problem - felt a little bit stormy out, bit like a the tail end of a cyclone.

Have to head back to work tomorrow and going to try and ride (Tarragindi to Virginia) see how it looks when I wake up I suppose.

I see BOM has said Thur and Fri are "Fine" - looking forward to that !

Tom

I did a riverloop too and only got rained on near the cemetary. Here's hoping for a better run for the rest of the week. :)
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby MountGower » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Sounds like you got the job you were after, Tom. Well done.
MountGower

Postby tomns » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:51 pm

MountGower wrote:Sounds like you got the job you were after, Tom. Well done.

Far out - sorry I forgot to message you when I got it (about 3 months ago or so)

I have got a great route going based on your advice - a few subtle changes but pretty much the same. I am the loving the
extra distance of the commute - when I ride I enjoy the 48km round trip and when I drive I loathe the extra commute time.

Try to do 3 days a week minimum and 4 days a week max - need 1 day every week or so to resupply work clothes
and take the shirts et al home for washing and ironing.

Good spot to work too, although I am still getting to know how the place works.

Cheers mate

Tom
Peugeot U08 - Poser
tomns

Postby Max » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:13 pm

I saw actual blue sky today. Only a few spits of rain on today's ride. Hopefully tomorrow will be the same! :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Max wrote:I saw actual blue sky today. Only a few spits of rain on today's ride. Hopefully tomorrow will be the same! :D

Max

Likewise this morning. Heaps of long muddy puddles on the Kedron Brook & loads of potholes on the stretch towards Nudgee beach.

Mt Mee via Samford/ Dayboro tomorrow if anybody's interested. Casual pace 90km from Everton Hills return trip.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
ZepinAtor

Postby Max » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:59 am

The sky's looking good this morning, and the weather forecast for the next three days is "Fine". :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby spalen » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Max wrote:The sky's looking good this morning, and the weather forecast for the next three days is "Fine". :D

Max

Yay - sunny weather. At 6am this morning it was like a sunday morning out - riders galore, everyone back on the road at once . Fantastic.
spalen

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Yep, had a great run out to Redcliffe this morning. I stayed of KBB and so the bike is still sparkling clean. I think I need to do a riverloop tomorrow to make 1k for the month! :mrgreen:
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby Redbull » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:08 pm

Gonna break the drought in Perth tonight

Barbeque :shock: that will do it.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

Postby marinmomma » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Was beautiful at 5.30 am this morning, nice and cool (for this time of year anyways) and cyclists everywhere :D

Nice ride in to Southbank for a coffee and then home again!
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby elantra » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:39 pm

marinmomma wrote:Was beautiful at 5.30 am this morning, nice and cool (for this time of year anyways) and cyclists everywhere :D

Nice ride in to Southbank for a coffee and then home again!

So true, but exasperation at the end of good ride - my favorite coffee place (Alen's on George)is CLOSED for the week. :(
The situation was salvaged by good service at Melange cafe, Roma Street Parklands.
They said they were uncertain if it would be worth their while opening this week, so consider a visit there, it is good.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby Max » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:10 am

An absolutely beautiful day for a ride today. I tagged along on a BBTA river loop this morning. Great weather - not too hot, not too humid, no sign of angry rain clouds. :D Enjoy it while it lasts, folks, looks like we're heading for a rainy patch this weekend and next week.

Max
Max

Postby beanspropulsion » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:55 am

Had to work this week so I was envious of all the cyclist's out there in the beautiful weather the last few days.

Got up early this morning to go out for a spin and it's damn well raining again *cries*
beanspropulsion

Postby elantra » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:49 am

Well my new year resolution for fine weather is looking shaky.
Overcast and gusty winds at Southport.
Not motivated to ride right now after a late night.
But there is a bike shop over the back fence so I might ride there.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby beanspropulsion » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:21 am

elantra wrote:But there is a bike shop over the back fence so I might ride there.

Public holiday today will it be open?
beanspropulsion

Postby elantra » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:21 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:
elantra wrote:But there is a bike shop over the back fence so I might ride there.

Public holiday today will it be open?

Yes it was, I am staying at a caravan park beside HarbourTown.
Everything is open here, which is a pain because everyday is much the same as any other.
Still, it is all built on reclaimed swamp, like most of the Gold Coast.
And the weather is not good either.
elantra

Postby Max » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Yeesh, not looking good for the next few days, is it? The last time we had rain like this, half the roads around my work were completely flooded. Businesses had water up to the eaves. I might not be able to get to work tomorrow! Now that'd be a shame. :lol: Road conditions report from RACQ here.

Max
Max

Postby wombatK » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:50 pm

elantra wrote:Well my new year resolution for fine weather is looking shaky.
Overcast and gusty winds at Southport.
Not motivated to ride right now after a late night.
But there is a bike shop over the back fence so I might ride there.

Well it was fine out in the morning - but the wind was a bugger. I did a lazy ride from 40 km Surfers to Hope Island (via Salacia Waters) and back. Was planning something longer, but late night before plus wind left me a bit too soft. Over the previous week, I managed to get in a decent ride every two days, in between doing all the other holiday/family things. Got totally drowned riding on Thursday, but every other day was fine for enough of the day to keep me cheerful.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby Oxford » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:12 pm

flood levels out back of my place in Albany Creek have nearly reached the highs of last year in October. the bike path is at least knee deep in water, possibly more. if this rain keeps going next weekend I'm buying a slip n slide thing and take it to the slope out back and have some fun with the kids.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:12 pm

We went out this morning at 5am, Shailer Park to Ormeau...roads were wet the entire way and we got drenched on the way back in....I think that over the next couple of months if you want to go for a ride you'll have to expect some of the wet stuff to feature!
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby tomns » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Did a loop this morning with my brother in law - we got off to an early start but he punctured 30 mins in - took us a while to get it fixed
and we got caught in a heavy shower 40 mins from the end that turned torrential.

Wasn't too bad really - just as long as you are prepared to be soaked to the bone, shoe covers and a few outer bits to keep warm.

Tom
Peugeot U08 - Poser
tomns

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:42 pm

Managed 80km Sun morning. Saw at least 100 other riders around the Petrie/ Dayboro area. Tagged along with the Zupps + Cycological groups who joined together by chance. Nice easy stroll at 40km/hr behind a 60 strong peleton.

Usual story though, a few light showers towards Samford then 5km from home it was rear flasher time as the rain became heavy & very steady. Lots of fun just not in the sun.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
ZepinAtor

Postby Max » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:11 pm

Well, today, I've been thinking about doing something I've avoided doing for two years.... putting my bike on a wind trainer. It's that or have my legs turn to mush. :( I wonder how MaxBabe will react when she walks into the lounge room to see me working on a Spinervals DVD! :lol:

How's everyone holding up? Anyone been flooded?

Max
Max

Postby elantra » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Max wrote:Well, today, I've been thinking about doing something I've avoided doing for two years.... putting my bike on a wind trainer. It's that or have my legs turn to mush. :( I wonder how MaxBabe will react when she walks into the lounge room to see me working on a Spinervals DVD! :lol:

How's everyone holding up? Anyone been flooded?

Max

Never have i seen so much water come from the sky in all my life.
Over a period of time measured in days, weeks, and months. :(
Around here there are some roads cut, also there is damage to roads including many extraordinary potholes and a minor landslide encroaching over Mt Coot-tha road.
photo here shows a very swollen creek over the road near Bowman Park, Bardon
elantra

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland