Ipswich cycling partner wanted

Postby aliciaedwards » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi all,
I am very new to this forum and to cycling in general. I bought myself a road bike as a good way to get fit but also because I was very inspired by a few friends who ride (they live up north). Anyway, I got my bike and on one of my first rides, I had a guy try running me off the road in his ute. I was quite shaken and honestly, I haven't been back on my bike since. I am a mum to a 16mth old boy and having this happen it scared me that if I was riding by myself and had an accident that maybe no-one would find me :( (Probably an irrational fear but one just the same). I'm really hoping that someone on here lives in Ipswich and would be interested in having me as a riding partner. I am keen to get into it as I did outlay a bit of money on my bike (not as much as I'm sure many others have) and it disappoints me that it's just sitting in my shed going unridden.

I hope someone can help!

Cheers,
Alicia
aliciaedwards

by BNA » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:49 pm

BNA

Re: Ipswich cycling partner wanted

Postby The Womble » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Whereabouts Alicia? We're in Springfeild and Im also just getting back into it
The Womble

Postby aliciaedwards » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:51 pm

I'm at Silkstone/Booval area.... Would certainly be keen to catch up on weekend or something with you. I'm hoping to find someone I can go out with early mornings as well. I'd really like to try doing the Ipswich 100 (probably a shorter event though) instead of doing the rub downs afterwards (I'm a Physio at Physioactive) :D
aliciaedwards

Postby The Womble » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Cool. As soon as my headset gets sorted Ill let you know. Hopefully itll be this week :)
The Womble

Postby Comedian » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:26 pm

Sorry to hear of your misadventures :(

Cycling is great. Don't let them stop you. Ask the bike shop you bought your bike from if they know of groups in your area.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby The Womble » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Too rigjt Comedian. Amd with me riding alongside youd be just fine where bogans are concerned. Raaa! Etc.
The Womble

Postby Comedian » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Betcha they wished their ugg boots didn't keep getting caught in the chain!
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:00 am

Hi Alicia

Sorry I don't live out your way, but just wanted to say don't let the bogan ute driver scare you off riding, I've had a few idiots ute drivers try to scare me off the road as well, it does give your confidence a bit of a hit. And I've noticed that they always target me and not my hubby :roll:

Have you got any bike paths around your area that you can use, if they're not littered with broken glass? Try to find the quieter roads/paths to use and get your confidence back.

Good luck finding a partner, there is certainly strength in numbers when out on the road....we had a first today with a motorist chatting to us while we were waiting for the lights to change, wishing us a good ride...probably a fellow cyclist :D
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:13 pm

The Womble wrote:Too rigjt Comedian. Amd with me riding alongside youd be just fine where bogans are concerned. Raaa! Etc.

Are you implying that you're a bogan Womble? :lol:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby The Womble » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:16 pm

Ha no. I dont mediate with bogans
The Womble

Postby aliciaedwards » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Womble let me know when suits you - although please remember i'm new and now uncycle fit LOL! Gentle goes it!!
aliciaedwards

Postby The Womble » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Tis all good Alicia. Too much of the comfortable life has
e dropping 40kg this year. Im no rocket... Yet
The Womble

Postby kiso » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:02 am

Two local groups to consider are Ipswich BUG and Springfield Riders Group

Yellow Jersey Bike Shop is near you, and I'm sure the guys there can put you in touch with other groups as well.
John

kiso

Postby anniegray » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:53 am

Hi Alicia,

I am a fellow cyclist from Ipswich, I am from Brassall. I ride on weekends with the Centenary BUG, we start from Amazon's at Jindalee. I started riding with this group because I couldn't find an Ipswich group. I would certainly be very happy to ride with some riders in Ipswich. I am also planning to ride in the Ipswich 100, providing I am still alive after the Mt. Cootha challenge! As for riding groups from the Yellow Jersey, I am not sure, but I have an idea that they ride on weekday mornings, which I can't do, because I work in Brisbane city.

As for the bogans, I bet they wish they had nice bicycles too.

Cheers,

Annie
anniegray

Postby kiso » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Alicia and Annie,

I ride with Ipswich BUG. Organised rides are every second Sunday, but there are "unofficial" rides every weekend. See the web site for a calendar and phone numbers of ride leaders. None of them will mind if you call them with questions.

Rides are generally at a relaxed pace, with a "no rider left behind" policy. Destinations are different every time, we like variety!

I included a link to the Springfield group in my previous post because they're also in the area, but I haven't ridden with them, so I can't tell you much about them. Perhaps one of the Springfield riders can chime in here.

I have been for a ride with Centenary BUG, and they seem like a large, friendly group.

I don't know if Yellow Jersey has a riding group of their own, but they'd certainly know about different clubs and groups in the area that would suit your style.
John

kiso

Postby master6 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:07 pm

Contact Robyn at Centenary Bikeways Group (someone smarter than me has shown the link above) They are an excellent social group for people of all levels of ability. Robyn is very caring and receptive to new participants.
best wishes,
Jeff
master6

Postby kernowman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi, I'm at Springfield Lakes, I mainly go out by myself also, pretty new to road cycling so a bit slow at the moment! i tend to go out sunday mornings or if the wether isnt too bad after work, around 6pm.
kernowman

Postby The Womble » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:23 pm

I see a cycling partnership in your future.
Remember, I foretold of Brendan Fevola's demise on New Years Eve so trust me. :mrgreen:
The Womble

Postby master6 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:02 pm

The Womble wrote:Remember, I foretold of Brendan Fevola's demise on New Years Eve so trust me. :mrgreen:

Womble, I predict that the sun will rise tomorrow morning, and the morning after that, and........

Do you think that we should now both be considered "genius"? :D :D :D :D
master6

Postby anniegray » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:05 am

master6 wrote:Contact Robyn at Centenary Bikeways Group (someone smarter than me has shown the link above) They are an excellent social group for people of all levels of ability. Robyn is very caring and receptive to new participants.
best wishes,
Jeff

Hi,

I can't say enough good things about Robyn and the Centenary Bug. They are a really great bunch of people.I enjoy riding with them very much. The only thing is that they ride from Jindalee, which means a trip down the Ipswich motorway. Although, eventually the bike path along side the motorway will start at Dinmore, so the ultrafit (not me!), could ride to Jindalee from Dinmore, then ride with the group, but I digress.

I have not ridden with the Ipswich Bug as yet. However, I am always happy to ride. Perhaps we could work out social/training rides for more central Ipswich, with a view to training for the Ipswich 100?

Cheers,

Anniegray
anniegray

Postby MountGower » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:22 am

G’day

Here is the route Audax Qld and many commuters take from Ipswich to Brisbane. It may be of use until this bike path is opened and if it's segmented concrete, it may be of use thereafter aswell:

Chermside, Jacaranda, Wattle, Dudleigh, Gledson, Creek, River, Mary, Law, Bognuda, Ashburn, River, Aberdare, Pottery, Old Ipswich, Collingwood, Mine, Brisbane, Bridge, Brisbane, Wilruna, Wacol Station, Sumners.

Easy to Jindalee from there.

I have used this several times and it’s not too bad at all. There is an industrial estate at the end of Bognuda/Ashburn which may have increased the kneb factor, but I haven’t been there since it opened.

Taking Brisbane Rd to Aberdare will shorten it and eliminate any knob factor from the industrial estate. You just need to pick your moment for the right turn.

Good luck. I think you’ll find someone near home if you keep a look out. Though it seems you may have already, reading this thread.

Cheers
MountGower

Postby aliciaedwards » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:10 am

Wow I don't jump on for a couple of days and I come back to lots of messages! Cheers everyone!!!

I am a bit nervous doing group rides as I'm just worried about my abilities and think I might panic if someone brakes in front of me etc.... I definitely want to work up to it!! Anniegray am definitely keen to catch up if you'd like - I am interested in doing the Ipswich 100 but am worried I may not get enough training in in time! PM me if you're keen!

Now we just need some fine weather!
aliciaedwards

Postby kiso » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:44 pm

aliciaedwards wrote:Wow I don't jump on for a couple of days and I come back to lots of messages! Cheers everyone!!!

I am a bit nervous doing group rides as I'm just worried about my abilities and think I might panic if someone brakes in front of me etc.... I definitely want to work up to it!!

Alicia, I've ridden with a few different BUGs, and they generally don't do the full-on "paceline" style of riding, so there's no pressure to ride close together. They're a good way for inexperienced riders to develop their riding skills.
John

kiso

Postby BrisVegas » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi Alicia,
Sorry to hear about your bogan encounter. I try to avoid the busy roads as much as possible, but did enjoy the new Centenary Highway from Springfield Central out to Yamanto. It's got a very wide shoulder and is fairly quiet. I've done it a couple of times and there are plenty of other cyclists who use it. I want to try and make a Sunday morning ride a more regular thing this year if you want to meet up sometime. I'm relatively new to cycling and not very fast, if that helps? I'm at Springfield. I see Womble is out here too, so perhaps we can meet for coffee and a ride?
Cheers,
Dion
Litespeed Tuscany Ti & Trek 8000 rigid MTB
BrisVegas

Postby kernowman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:17 pm

I'll be out this sunday come rain or shine, around 7:30 ish if i can wake up! Leaving from springfield lakes just going out on the centenary highway and back if anyone fancies tagging long, just an easy cruise
kernowman

Next

Return to Queensland