Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge 2011

Max

Re: Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge 2011

Postby Max » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:10 am

Comedian wrote:Just remember to unclip before it's too late. :mrgreen:
This bit is really important! Also, if you have to stop, don't do it in the easiest possible gear. Change into a tougher gear, even if it's just the second-easiest gear. Otherwise, when you start off again, your pedal will fly straight down to the lowest point of the stroke before you have a chance to clip your other foot back in, and you'll fall forward onto the top tube and crotch yourself. Don't ask me how I know this. :oops:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Max

Postby Max » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:12 am

ezzy wrote:Okay then. I just don't see myself driving one hr just to climb a 2km hill.
I'll just go ride around Pacific Pines then, albeit short but the area has 20+ hills
ranging from 8 to 14% gradient.
You know it's not just a 2Km ride, though, right? It's 80 Km all up.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

ezzy

Postby ezzy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Max wrote:
ezzy wrote:Okay then. I just don't see myself driving one hr just to climb a 2km hill.
I'll just go ride around Pacific Pines then, albeit short but the area has 20+ hills
ranging from 8 to 14% gradient.
You know it's not just a 2Km ride, though, right? It's 80 Km all up.

Max
Is it? :o

Max

Postby Max » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:48 am

Yep. BQ don't make this information easy to find, as you'd expect it to be on the Mt Coot-Tha Ride page "Ride info" link. You can find details on the ride distance here and a bit of general info here.

Max

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:38 am

It's a fairly rare experience as well to be able to ride the tunnel & inner city bypass which are normally a no go zone for cyclists.

I had the pleasure of talking to the organizer yesterday while visiting Epic Cycles & he mentioned numbers were a bit low compared to this time last year due to all the extreme unexpected wet season of late. Still expecting a couple of thousand riders. Last year was 3 thousand + so I'd say jump in & boost the numbers a little peoples for a good cause.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

dfc.

Postby dfc. » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:07 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:It's a fairly rare experience as well to be able to ride the tunnel & inner city bypass which are normally a no go zone for cyclists.

I had the pleasure of talking to the organizer yesterday while visiting Epic Cycles & he mentioned numbers were a bit low compared to this time last year due to all the extreme unexpected wet season of late. Still expecting a couple of thousand riders. Last year was 3 thousand + so I'd say jump in & boost the numbers a little peoples for a good cause.
If they would post a map, I might think about it!
Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:57 pm

dfc. wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:It's a fairly rare experience as well to be able to ride the tunnel & inner city bypass which are normally a no go zone for cyclists.

Last years map is out there on the interwebs. It's supposed to be the same this year - Southbank, Annerley, CLEM7 then ICB, Simpson's Rd to Cootha and around Cootha anti-clockwise, then Fig Tree Pocket, 17 Mile Rocks Park, 17 Mile Rocks Hill, Oxley back-streets and then the Corso. Finishes down Riverside drive back to Southbank. All on closed roads!
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:11 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
dfc. wrote:

Last years map is out there on the interwebs. It's supposed to be the same this year - Southbank, Annerley, CLEM7 then ICB, Simpson's Rd to Cootha and around Cootha anti-clockwise, then Fig Tree Pocket, 17 Mile Rocks Park, 17 Mile Rocks Hill, Oxley back-streets and then the Corso. Finishes down Riverside drive back to Southbank. All on closed roads!
Sounds like a blast. What happens around cootha? How do they time you?

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:10 pm

Comedian wrote:
At the bottom they start the clock then at the top they stop the clock. That's your time.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:54 am

ZepinAtor wrote:
Comedian wrote:
At the bottom they start the clock then at the top they stop the clock. That's your time.
I kinda thought that would be the case :P How do they time you? Do you all wait at gates and get given a signal to go through? I see there are split times on the website... like 7 minutes or something and then the real climb starts. What is that about?

ezzy

Postby ezzy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:03 am

Must be that timing band that they won't mail to us. Probably have some electronics in it that acts like transponder.

Max

Postby Max » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:12 am

ezzy wrote:Must be that timing band that they won't mail to us. Probably have some electronics in it that acts like transponder.
Yup. :)

Max

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:13 am

ezzy wrote:Must be that timing band that they won't mail to us. Probably have some electronics in it that acts like transponder.
Phew... I though it was the chip in my neck that the aliens put there... nobody is supposed to know about that... and I didn't think there were that many of us out there. :shock: :mrgreen:

heay

Postby heay » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:24 am

ValleyForge wrote:
dfc. wrote:

The only roads that are closed are the ones around Cootha itself. The rest is open to the normal public use. I for one will not be doing this event as other cyclist have no concept on understanding the rule of keep left. I took the firat part easy so I could have a good crack at Cootha and get a god time but had to contend with wannbe LA that could not ride a bike in their life all over the place so those whom could climb and did the same as me had to go inbetween them around them over them also.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:38 am

For the timing, you'll get a chip to strap around your ankle. At the start of the climb you ride across a mat (a nice blue colour if I recall) which picks up your chip and there is another mat at the top of the hill.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:31 am

goneriding wrote:For the timing, you'll get a chip to strap around your ankle. At the start of the climb you ride across a mat (a nice blue colour if I recall) which picks up your chip and there is another mat at the top of the hill.
Last year it was an RFID tag for your seat pole, with the reader on the pole at the park at the bottom & the other pole at the ABC driveway at the top. Set & forget for the tag.

heay: I don't ever imagine a ride like this will have every-one riding race line. I like the challenge of the cervelo & colnago wanna-bes getting messy in the mix. Anyway, last year the traffic up front was light and well behaved. I can't speak for the mid-pack however.

heay

Postby heay » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:33 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
goneriding wrote:For the timing, you'll get a chip to strap around your ankle. At the start of the climb you ride across a mat (a nice blue colour if I recall) which picks up your chip and there is another mat at the top of the hill.
Last year it was an RFID tag for your seat pole, with the reader on the pole at the park at the bottom & the other pole at the ABC driveway at the top. Set & forget for the tag.

heay: I don't ever imagine a ride like this will have every-one riding race line. I like the challenge of the cervelo & colnago wanna-bes getting messy in the mix. Anyway, last year the traffic up front was light and well behaved. I can't speak for the mid-pack however.
I don't mind being in the mix either but just a bit of common sense would go a long way??? I was not as fit as I am this year and I was not racing either which has made a huge difference in me. I have choosen 2 bigger rides this year the Ipswich 100 mile and the Grand Fando in NSW, the rest will be crit racing to learn even more before going back to road races and seeing how that pans out. This weekend I will be up at Lakeside in B grade as that course suits me.

Mistadobalina

Postby Mistadobalina » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 pm

My work has a couple of spare entries 1 to the coot-tha challenge at $60 the other to great Brisbane bike ride 30 or 45km $40, registration closes at 5.00pm Friday 11th march so if you want one of these entries let me know, they are the early bird prices. Cheers

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:34 am

My work team has a couple of spare spots for the challenge and the great Brisbane bike ride. You won't have to ride with anyone, you just have to pay the team entry price to take the last couple of pre-paid spots.

Pm me if interested. :)

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:11 am

Yesterday morning I when up to Coot-tha and did 3 runs up and down. It was tough but I made it, albeit at a very slow pace. Currently I'm running 39x25 as my lowest gear, and my cadence is very low. More grind than spin. I have a 11-28 cassette that I can put on the bike. I'm not sure if this will help much though. It's only an extra 3 teeth. What I'm wondering is whether the 28 will be faster due to a higher cadence? Or will it be slower, but easier? Should I just harden up and stick to the 25?
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

baarg

Postby baarg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:59 am

Zynster wrote:Yesterday morning I when up to Coot-tha and did 3 runs up and down. It was tough but I made it, albeit at a very slow pace. Currently I'm running 39x25 as my lowest gear, and my cadence is very low. More grind than spin. I have a 11-28 cassette that I can put on the bike. I'm not sure if this will help much though. It's only an extra 3 teeth. What I'm wondering is whether the 28 will be faster due to a higher cadence? Or will it be slower, but easier? Should I just harden up and stick to the 25?
Are you a spinner or a grinder? I find that I perform better at a higher gear but that's just the way I am, saying that I had a 23 and a 25 makes a big difference because my cadence was way too slow going up Coot-tha. The more you do that hill, the easier it gets too. If you know bike mechanics, swap it and see how you go, then swap it back. Just an idea.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:06 pm

baarg wrote:
Zynster wrote:Yesterday morning I when up to Coot-tha and did 3 runs up and down. It was tough but I made it, albeit at a very slow pace. Currently I'm running 39x25 as my lowest gear, and my cadence is very low. More grind than spin. I have a 11-28 cassette that I can put on the bike. I'm not sure if this will help much though. It's only an extra 3 teeth. What I'm wondering is whether the 28 will be faster due to a higher cadence? Or will it be slower, but easier? Should I just harden up and stick to the 25?
Are you a spinner or a grinder? I find that I perform better at a higher gear but that's just the way I am, saying that I had a 23 and a 25 makes a big difference because my cadence was way too slow going up Coot-tha. The more you do that hill, the easier it gets too. If you know bike mechanics, swap it and see how you go, then swap it back. Just an idea.
FWIW - I did the ride last year with a 42-21 and I'm still amazed. I'm doing most of it with a 39-23, down from a 25 and before that a 27 for the first time. BUT I'm now looking at doing it low 10mins down from 15mins!

Stick with the 39-25. It'll suit the rest of the ride better.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:23 pm

I said hello to a big bloke ona Lemond, pedalling up Cootha yesterday morning, he said it was his third lap and i think that was a bit too much for him.

With hillclimbing there is no recipe which suits everyone.
I do Cootha 38/23 but then change down to 25 for the final part of the climb.
But i like hills.

On another note beware of some inexperienced drivers in the Mt Coot-tha area soon.
The Bardon Convention Centre is reported to be undergoing changes to become student accomodation.
A few days ago i saw an old Corolla (typical student type car) GOING UP the ONE-WAY DOWN road. :shock:

(That is the section of road that is only legally accesible by turning left on the descent above the big Quarry)

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:28 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Stick with the 39-25. It'll suit the rest of the ride better.
That's the other issue. I was wanting to take the Coppi on this ride as it's way smoother than the Cevelo. The 11-18 Ultegra cassette would only fit on the Cervelo (the Coppi is Campy). I might try it anyway as baarg suggested. The luxury of having 2 racers. :)

It's not like my time up the hill is going to be competitive. Last year I bombed half way up. At least this year I'm confident of riding up.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Zynster wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:Stick with the 39-25. It'll suit the rest of the ride better.
That's the other issue. I was wanting to take the Coppi on this ride as it's way smoother than the Cevelo. The 11-18 Ultegra cassette would only fit on the Cervelo (the Coppi is Campy).
Ahh - mixed breeds means no-one is ever happy. A perfect excuse for dumping Shimano so everything is interchangeable.