Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge 2011

elantra

Re: Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge 2011

Postby elantra » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:56 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
Zynster wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:Stick with the 39-25. It'll suit the rest of the ride better.
That's the other issue. I was wanting to take the Coppi on this ride as it's way smoother than the Cevelo. The 11-18 Ultegra cassette would only fit on the Cervelo (the Coppi is Campy).
Ahh - mixed breeds means no-one is ever happy. A perfect excuse for dumping Shimano so everything is interchangeable.
My old faithful is Campag FD, SunTour RD, Shimano Cassette, unknown brand chain. It has been up Mt Coot-tha many many times. :D :D :D

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:02 pm

ValleyForge wrote:
Zynster wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:Stick with the 39-25. It'll suit the rest of the ride better.
That's the other issue. I was wanting to take the Coppi on this ride as it's way smoother than the Cevelo. The 11-18 Ultegra cassette would only fit on the Cervelo (the Coppi is Campy).
Ahh - mixed breeds means no-one is ever happy. A perfect excuse for dumping Shimano so everything is interchangeable.
No Shimano (unless I use that Ultegra cassette). The Cervelo is running Rival. Rival is not too bad. The Veloce group on the Coppi is better though. Smoother shifting and much nicer hood shape. When I can afford it I'll probably go all Campy.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi all

We are off for a ride up Mt Cootha and River loop tomorrow morn. I suspect it will be busy due to being the last weekend before the challenge ride. Have fun and lets hope the weather plays nice. Hoping to break 12mins as been close a few times.

cheers

Dave

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:22 pm

Week-end on Cootha was quiet. Loop was not busy either.

Got overtaken up the mountain by a stick insect in a BMC jersey. Our crys of "someone stop him and feed him" went unheard.

Anyway rain forcast for Sunday. :roll:
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:05 pm

ValleyForge wrote: Got overtaken up the mountain by a stick insect in a BMC jersey. Our crys of "someone stop him and feed him" went unheard.
:roll:
LOL... On my first attempt up there a while back I was doing pretty well and a "stick insect" sucked my doors off. I thought if that's what I have to do I'll just cruise up :mrgreen:

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:46 pm

woooo finally made it up the back of cootha (non-stop) after 3 unsuccessful attempts.

the 3 failed attempts were in 38/25, 38/26, 38/26. (note I weigh roughly 100kg). Each time giving up around the 1.75km mark feeling like I couldn't move my legs.

bought a 34T chainring yesterday and installed it last night, this morning I went up mostly in 34/26 and still felt like I had more to give at the top.

I was getting worried that I was going to fail on sunday but now i'm feeling pretty good about it.
Last edited by Undertow on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:50 pm

Hmmm the weather forecast isn't great. Might be a wet one :(

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Comedian wrote:Hmmm the weather forecast isn't great. Might be a wet one :(
Yep, already got the wet-weather gear ready. Mind you the shoe-covers only keep my feet dry for about an hour.

I lurv Goretex.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Undertow wrote:woooo finally made it up the back of cootha (non-stop) after 3 unsuccessful attempts.

the 3 failed attempts were in 38/25, 38/26, 38/26. (note I weigh roughly 100kg). Each time giving up around the 1.75km mark feeling like I couldn't move my legs.

bought a 34T chainring yesterday and installed it last night, this morning I went up mostly in 34/26 and still felt like I had more to give at the top.

I was getting worried that I was going to fail on sunday but now i'm feeling pretty good about it.
Great effort.
Big guys must hate it when Thin guys pass them on hills.
Thin guys hate it when Big guys pass them again going down the hills.
Gravity at work. :(

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:59 pm

elantra wrote:
Undertow wrote:woooo finally made it up the back of cootha (non-stop) after 3 unsuccessful attempts.

Great effort.
Not too long after the top I was going up one of the little crests around the back and this little guys flew passed me, so I sucked his wheel up the hill then laughed on the inside all the way around to the summit as he was really pushing it on the downs as I was just coasting along having to brake a few times to keep myself from rear-ending him.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Undertow wrote:
elantra wrote:

Great effort.
Not too long after the top I was going up one of the little crests around the back and this little guys flew passed me, so I sucked his wheel up the hill then laughed on the inside all the way around to the summit as he was really pushing it on the downs as I was just coasting along having to brake a few times to keep myself from rear-ending him.
Yeah... we just need to re-jog the contest so that it involves a a v-max run to the bottom, and a pie eating contest and I'd have those stick insects on toast. :shock: :mrgreen:

laager

Postby laager » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Last edited by laager on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Re:

Postby Comedian » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:13 pm

laager wrote:
Comedian wrote:... a pie eating contest and I'd have those stick insects on toast. :shock: :mrgreen:
As appetizer for the pies or as dessert? Not much meat on them so stick insect on toast might be a bit of a light meal. :wink:
Mmm... crunchy :shock: :shock:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:06 am

BruceGray wrote: A few pointers:
- Unless you are a seasoned hill climber, it is easier with a lower geared bike, like a roadie with a compact chainring (32-34) and at least a 25 cog gear on the cassette.
- most mountain bikes would have low enough gears.
- good idea to get some practice in on hills before attemtping it.
- the most acknowledged grade from memory is 9.4%, but the 300 metres to Channel 10 is probably 10.5%.
- the distance ridden and measured is 2320 metres.
- the vertical ascent is 217 metres.
- make sure your bike is in good condition before riding. Cleats need to be firm in pedals so they don't slip out when riding up. Gears need to be adjusted properly so you have smooth changes on the hill. Brakes need to be 110% reliant for the downhill bits. Wheels need to be true. Ensure you are well hydrated beforehand, and keep drinking all the way.
- hold a straight line when riding up, otherwise you are likely to be involved in accidents.
- the best time to practice riding up the hill (anti-clockwise) is Sunday mornings before 6.30am. There's fewer cars. If practising riding up, be very wary of cars coming downhill (and cyclists). Don't presume they'll stay on their side of the road.
OK... I've been having a think about this (LOL!) and I'd like to have a stab at doing this in the 10 minute bracket. If I do this and they can resuscitate me afterwards I'd be utterly stoked so thats my goal. :mrgreen:

According to my elementary calculations I need to average 13km for the climb to do it in less than 11 minutes. Does that sound right?

I just looked at my history from last time and I averaged about 11.5 but it was on cyclemeter and GPS don't calculate distances on hills at all well (they view the earth as flat so under read). Anyway, I'm just chasing a figure to watch on the bike computer on the day.

In other news the forecast for the day is still "rain easing to showers" :evil: :evil:

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:40 am

Comedian wrote: According to my elementary calculations I need to average 13km for the climb to do it in less than 11 minutes. Does that sound right?
My calculations say 13.9km/h to get 10min.
BruceGray wrote: - the most acknowledged grade from memory is 9.4%, but the 300 metres to Channel 10 is probably 10.5%.
I find that last bit before channel 10 the hardest, its were I gave up on my failed attempts. It gets really steep and goes around two corners, so you can't see where it gets less steep, so if you haven't done it before its a really mental effort to push through that bit (at least it was for me).

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:34 am

If you can read the cycle computer on the day you aren't trying hard enough :twisted:

If you want to go under 10 minutes you'll need to aim to do the climb at around 14 kph and 12.6 kph to go under 11 minutes.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:44 am

goneriding wrote:If you can read the cycle computer on the day you aren't trying hard enough :twisted:

If you want to go under 10 minutes you'll need to aim to do the climb at around 14 kph and 12.6 kph to go under 11 minutes.
Excellent Smithers :)

I'll try and beat 12.6 avg. I'm not sure what effect the crowd will have..Ie hinder or help but I guess we will see. :)

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:16 am

In my vast experience (I've ridden the back side only once and that was on the Challenge), there isn't much traffic (i.e. bike traffic) on the way up if you get away in the early bunch. You need to be careful just before the start of the climb at the turn off as it was a bit congested.

The downhill is probably more congested, and dangerous, than the uphill as people are tired and there are idiots who are descending at 80+ kph.

The important thing is to find your rhythm and turn your brain off for as long as possible.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:28 am

And I wish that there will be no bunches of oxygen thieves clagging up the top of the hill. If you are dying, pull over, first making an appropriate hand signal and then die. The road is narrow, there are spectators and the last thing we all need are brightly coloured speeed bumps in the middle of the road!

baarg

Postby baarg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:44 am

Yes! And especially if it's going to be a wet ride, don't park at the top and don't speed! But what are the chances the 3000 that entered will read this or pay attention?

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:24 pm

ValleyForge wrote:The road is narrow, there are spectators and the last thing we all need are brightly coloured speeed bumps in the middle of the road!
There's spectators???? Like on the road Tour de France style??

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:38 pm

Undertow wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:The road is narrow, there are spectators and the last thing we all need are brightly coloured speeed bumps in the middle of the road!
There's spectators???? Like on the road Tour de France style??
A few around the ABC driveway and the crest just beyond - none cheering me on though! :twisted:

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Agreed, if you are going to die, do what elephants do, crawl off into the car park on the left (can't remember which TV station it is) and do it!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:47 pm

goneriding wrote:Agreed, if you are going to die, do what elephants do, crawl off into the car park on the left (can't remember which TV station it is) and do it!
That's for quitters! :mrgreen:

I'm going for death or glory. :D

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:48 pm

I've ridden up loads of times, never seen any elephants in the car park. They need to HTFU.