I squash toads

trickle

Re: I squash toads

Postby trickle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:11 pm

duds2u wrote:My wife was "on safari" with the dettol gun mid last week. Somehow she shot herself in the eye with neat dettol. (I've got to get the sights checked)
We now know why toads curl up and die.

Itled to a trip to the doctor and eye drops 4 times a day for a week and it's still red. At least the eye is Ok and not pussy any more and the doctor reckons there won't be any permanent damage.
I reckon I can top that!

I was in the back yard with the kids, found a toad and whacked him with a shovel to stun him. Proceeded to explain about the toxic exudate they posses and reminded the kids why we don't touch them or let the dogs play with them... poked the toad with the shovel a tad too hard a SSSSSSSQUIRT. Toad toxin straight to the eye :evil:

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:36 am

ok, after further "research" I think the most lethal part about the braking is the skid it generates, rather than the extra weight.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:42 am

When I was a kid we used to put salt on their backs. This makes them do back flips, leaping in to the air. Perfect for getting the cricket bat out and smashing them out of sight when they reach top dead centre.

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:38 pm

fullsteamahead wrote:next sunday i'm hankering to try 50/50 dettol and metho - might even give the gecko's in the garage a taste too....
Why would you want to spray geckos? They are cute, harmless, and eat pesky insects/spiders.

Comedian

I squash toads

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Undertow wrote:
fullsteamahead wrote:next sunday i'm hankering to try 50/50 dettol and metho - might even give the gecko's in the garage a taste too....
Why would you want to spray geckos? They are cute, harmless, and eat pesky insects/spiders.
And they crap a lot!

I don't mind them though. I crap a lot too. :mrgreen:

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

fullsteamahead wrote:funny enough the crows seem to have a bit of a taste for them, only time i've ever thought of a crow doing a good deed.

might even give the gecko's in the garage a taste too....
I think crows are one of the few critters smart enough to avoid eating the poisonous bits. I guess they're probably pretty good eating then - big and juicy, mmm mm.

Don't spray the geckos though, poor little guys :(

velocirapt

Postby velocirapt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:08 pm

The buggers are hard to kill ...should make bike tyres out of the them :D -better than Gator Skins I should think

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:53 am

Cane toads are tough blighters; I’ve run over a few with both wheels of my mountain bike and then turned around to have a look at the squashed toad but no toad in sight. Last night went over one good and proper when I turned around to have a look there the thing was hopping away from the path.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

ozjolly

Postby ozjolly » Tue May 10, 2011 9:35 am

I rode home along the bike path near Bulimba creek last night. Lots of toads out in the drizzle. It was like playing moving toad slalom. I wasn't sure whether hitting them would slip the front wheel. I found out soon enough though as try as I might to avoid them, they jump (or not) in a random direction as you get about 2m away from them and if they jump under your wheel... bad luck! Had a few jump into my foot too.

Just found this thread so next time I might aim for more.

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Tue May 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Wet roads, cane toads, cars and bikes.
Bikes always lose because they tend to gather toad bits everywhere, in the cassette, up under the seat, on the frame, everywhere.
My bike regularly gets a hose down after riding wet roads, it makes it smell better.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue May 10, 2011 6:31 pm

duds2u wrote:Wet roads, cane toads, cars and bikes.
Bikes always lose because they tend to gather toad bits everywhere, in the cassette, up under the seat, on the frame, everywhere.
My bike regularly gets a hose down after riding wet roads, it makes it smell better.
My bike is covered in all sorts of anonymous filth. Not sure I want to touch it.
ozjolly wrote:I rode home along the bike path near Bulimba creek last night. Lots of toads out in the drizzle.
Really? I haven't seen any in a couple of weeks since the weather got colder...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue May 10, 2011 6:44 pm

lethoso wrote: Really? I haven't seen any in a couple of weeks since the weather got colder...
They have been scarce down my way too of late. Mind you it's been pretty cold. Where do they all go? :shock: :?:

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Tue May 10, 2011 7:09 pm

MountGower wrote:When I was a kid we used to put salt on their backs. This makes them do back flips, leaping in to the air. Perfect for getting the cricket bat out and smashing them out of sight when they reach top dead centre.
I like that idea, WA soon will be invaded---no its already started..
thanks for the heads up to lower the toad numbers later
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

Comedian

I squash toads

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:19 am

Get your POP on fellow riders they are back! I popped about 5 on the way home last night.

Good times! :mrgreen:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:36 am

I'm always concerned that the big toads are kind of hard, and maybe slippery, and they'd make me come off if I hit one with the front wheel. If that doesn't happen then I could probably start scoring quite a few each night :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:57 pm

Inwood wrote:I'm always concerned that the big toads are kind of hard, and maybe slippery, and they'd make me come off if I hit one with the front wheel. If that doesn't happen then I could probably start scoring quite a few each night :)
Look I probably wouldn't want to hit one while cornering.. but as long as you line them up it's all good.

Smashem mate... go nuts! :mrgreen:

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Comedian wrote:
Inwood wrote:I'm always concerned that the big toads are kind of hard, and maybe slippery, and they'd make me come off if I hit one with the front wheel. If that doesn't happen then I could probably start scoring quite a few each night :)
Look I probably wouldn't want to hit one while cornering.. but as long as you line them up it's all good.

About 5 years ago I made a point of trying to reduce the cane toad population. I stopped counting at 200, and not long after realized that there is no practical way to get rid of them. Not now. We can't control them, reduce their population, or reduce their impact. They're endemic and we're stuck with them.

So then I just came to realise that, like us, they're just making a living. They can't help their predatory nature, and nor can they help being poisonous. So these days I just let them be.

Different case in an environment where we can get rid, like an island somewhere. Then there's a point. A bit like killing cats on some of the islands around New Zealand. There's a point.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:53 pm

The nearest equivalent down here is the bunny rabbit. Unfortunately they're a bit too quick, haven't managed to score one yet. And then there's the risk they might dive through your spokes.

That would not end well.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:37 pm

London Boy wrote:
Comedian wrote:

About 5 years ago I made a point of trying to reduce the cane toad population. I stopped counting at 200, and not long after realized that there is no practical way to get rid of them. Not now. We can't control them, reduce their population, or reduce their impact. They're endemic and we're stuck with them.

So then I just came to realise that, like us, they're just making a living. They can't help their predatory nature, and nor can they help being poisonous. So these days I just let them be.

Different case in an environment where we can get rid, like an island somewhere. Then there's a point. A bit like killing cats on some of the islands around New Zealand. There's a point.
Kill-joy! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The way I look at it I was trained to do this job from birth. It was practically a family sport finding new and even more creatively destructive ways to do them in. :)

So - I'm just doing what I've evolved to do. :mrgreen:

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Tonight on the KBB I saw at least 200 + toads & maybe some frogs. It's a bit hard to tell in the dark, but I have a theory. I think the ones that jump almost vertical & have long legs are frogs & the slower more horizontal jumping ones are toads.

Then there's the BeafCake4000 toads which are the size of a hamster.

Quite dangerous on corners when you're on the lean & there's 4 toads at varying distances right in your path of travel.

Had one jump into the front wheel & then splaatt ! me in the shin. I really hoped it wasn't sitting on top of the water bottle when I reached down in the dark later on.

mmmmmm toad juice
Last edited by ZepinAtor on Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 pm

ZepinAtor wrote: mmmmmm toad juice
Tastes just like chicken - only hallucinogenic. :mrgreen:

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:29 am

ZepinAtor wrote:Tonight on the KBB I saw at least 200 + toads & maybe some frogs. It's a bit hard to tell in the dark, but I have a theory. I think the ones that jump almost vertical & have long legs are frogs & the slower more horizontal jumping ones are toads.
Yeah I've sighted a few along the KBB. I tend to avoid them as much as I can.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:59 am

Most I see on KBB have already been wheelsected by Comedian or Zep....lying there not doing much of anything except working on their belly tan, bloated lazy good for nothing miscreants...but not for long...

Might be the product of evolution in Sth America or wherever they came from, but not here....rather, a creation of man's devolutionary ignorance....so the sooner they are returned to their constituent elements, the better I say.

missing my ride this morning due to rain.....grrrrr.