Brisbane Flood Road Damage List

Re: Brisbane Flood Road Damage List

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:56 pm

The Police were asking cyclists to avoid Mt Coot-tha today.
Lisa
marinmomma

by BNA » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:54 pm

BNA

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:54 pm

marinmomma wrote:Could we use this thread to list places to ride that are safe and completely out of the flood clean up areas??

My point exactly!

Rode South Brisbane to Wynnum & Wellington Point today. Roads all clean & good, pretty quiet too. Would recommend.
Ha ha! Cookies on dowels.
ValleyForge

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:21 pm

marinmomma wrote:I think that it's poor form to be expecting to cycle through the affected areas, which takes out all the the River Loop, anytime soon.

Were you referring to what i intended to be an innocent enough (unanswered) enquiry about what specifically constitutes "the Loop" so i could avoid it, because nowhere did i even infer that i intended to enter any kind of no go / cleanup zone, only that i was going to attempt to gain access to my office which is closed till next weekend due to the power outage in the CBD.

There has been more than enough 'discussion' here recently about where people should or shouldnt go, or what they should or shouldnt do, or even more incredibly what they should or shouldnt say, for me to even remotely want to wave a red rag to that disproportionately morally outraged bull. If ive misunderstood you, ignore a portion of what ive just written with my genuine apologies.
chop wood
landscapecadmonkey

Postby Max » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:17 pm

The service road and footpath that run alongside the Ipswich Motorway between Oxley and Rocklea is pretty much toast at the moment. I think it's called Bannerman Rd, but don't quote me on that. Lots of dirt, potholes and debris. The businesses in the area haven't re-opened. The road that loops around onto the Donaldson Rd overpass was covered in debris and cleanup crews this morning. Lights are still out in parts of Archerfield and Rocklea. I expect the road behind the airport will be pothole city. I don't think I'll be riding to/from work any time soon. :(

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Does anyone know if the biketrack along Coro Drive is back open yet ?

Also the biketrack along Western Freeway was cut in a couple of places. Is that opened up again now and if so, is it fit to ride on ? ie not covered in slimey debris etc.
Rhubarb

Postby Dimma » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:34 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Does anyone know if the biketrack along Coro Drive is back open yet ?

Not even close, the Regatta end is still covered in very thick wet mud, the other end approaching the Go Between Bridge is still under water.
Dimma

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks for that. Do you know if the surface has sustained major damage, or is it just a case of waiting for the water to subside and getting the mud cleaned off it?
Rhubarb

Postby BrisVegas » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Does anyone know if the biketrack along Coro Drive is back open yet ?

Also the biketrack along Western Freeway was cut in a couple of places. Is that opened up again now and if so, is it fit to ride on ? ie not covered in slimey debris etc.

I was wondering about these too. I think I'll take the train for the rest of the week while it's free and try my luck on the bike next week.
Litespeed Tuscany Ti & Trek 8000 rigid MTB
BrisVegas

Postby Dimma » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:41 pm

I wouldn't be able to say, there needs to be a structural inspection when the water levels are low enough.
The concern is how secure the river bank is.
Dimma

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:46 pm

BrisVegas wrote:

I was wondering about these too. I think I'll take the train for the rest of the week while it's free and try my luck on the bike next week.

Rode the Bikeway as far as Fig Tree Pocket Rd on Saturday - all OK. I imagine that from Centenary bridge south is still no go for a distance.
ValleyForge

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks - I might have to ride in to the city tomorrow for work, and thats where I get on the biketrack.

Not sure about how to get from Sylvan Rd into the city though if the Coro Dr bikepath is still closed.

I've heard they have closed some lanes on Coro Drive itself, presumably the lanes closest to the river, for fear of landslip. Are these open to cyclists?
Rhubarb

Postby Dimma » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:12 pm

The two outbound lanes closest to the river are closed, there is a lot of heavy machinery parked and some activity with council workers etc.
Dimma

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Thanks - I might have to ride in to the city tomorrow for work, and thats where I get on the biketrack.

Not sure about how to get from Sylvan Rd into the city though if the Coro Dr bikepath is still closed.

I've heard they have closed some lanes on Coro Drive itself, presumably the lanes closest to the river, for fear of landslip. Are these open to cyclists?

Two options - either ride like hell down Coro Drv in the left hand lane, or the hills of Birdwood Tce, Heussler Tce & Caxton St. Either way your thighs get a work out - strength or speed training!

Milton Rd looks like a car park so I'd say best avoided. It's narrow & unsafe even at the best of times.
ValleyForge

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Thanks for that. Do you know if the surface has sustained major damage, or is it just a case of waiting for the water to subside and getting the mud cleaned off it?

I saw footage that showed mangled stuff all over it, maybe the area where they've still been doing up-grades.
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby biggles266 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi everyone, as someone posted in another thread, not even close... I had a gander today after I drove into work :(
There were some people bicycling from the west near the Regatta but stopping right about there, and the path was covered in either mud or still underwater. It looks like it'll be some time till anyone cycles along Coro drive bikeway. From what I could see of Southbank, you can forget that too.
biggles266

Postby Max » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Bicycle Queensland have done a quick rundown of the state of bike paths in Brisbane.

Boundary Rd, Archerfield/Rocklea is, as expected, chock full of potholes. I've learnt that the street leading onto Donaldson St is called Collinsvale St, and it looked pretty cactus this morning.

Lots of motor vehicle traffic in and outbound today; almost traffic jam volume. I expect this will settle down once more roads are reopened and people are able to resume their normal modes/times of transport.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby mrjones » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 am

Hey guys.

I have not been riding long but had been doing the river loop a few times a week in the mornings before work.
I live in Newfarm and was wondering if I could get some suggestions for alternative rides of about 50km home and back.

On saturday and sunday i saw lots of cyclists on wynnum road, is this a good option and can i go strait from newfarm over the bridge or would it be better to drive to say morningside?

thanks lewis
mrjones

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:47 am

Max wrote:Bicycle Queensland have done a quick rundown of the state of bike paths in Brisbane.

Max

Thanks for that link. They did a live shot this morning on tv showing the traffic now using all lanes on Coro Drive. I saw the bikeway covered in mud still. They also showed the bikeway past the Drift restaurant just piled up with rubbish stripped out of the Drift restaurant but not sure if this was from a few days ago or today.
Rhubarb

Postby brades68 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:57 am

Hi all,
My new bike case (from Torpedo7 - the Eva Bike Case) arrived today and i head out tomorrow for 2 days training (thursday and Friday) in Brisbane via Mackay as the Rocky airport is still closed due to flood damage. Is is worthwhile packing up the bike and bringing it down for a ride? where would i ride? i'm staying in the city, Adelaide Street.

Any advice, tips be appreciated

Cheers
Mick
n = Specialized Tarmac SL4 (racing!), Prolite Cuneo GP (riding!)
n + 1 = Pro-Lite Trentino GP (track - woohoo)
brades68

Brisbane Flood Road Damage List

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:16 pm

brades68 wrote:Hi all,
My new bike case (from Torpedo7 - the Eva Bike Case) arrived today and i head out tomorrow for 2 days training (thursday and Friday) in Brisbane via Mackay as the Rocky airport is still closed due to flood damage. Is is worthwhile packing up the bike and bringing it down for a ride? where would i ride? i'm staying in the city, Adelaide Street.

Any advice, tips be appreciated

Cheers
Mick

If my work situation stays as I think it is I'd be happy to take you for a little tour on the northside early (preffer Friday but could possibly do Thursday) I could meet you in town and drop you back :).
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby brades68 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Comedian, that'll be great!
Friday works with me! i'll PM you my mob number and where i'm staying etc

Cheers
Mick
n = Specialized Tarmac SL4 (racing!), Prolite Cuneo GP (riding!)
n + 1 = Pro-Lite Trentino GP (track - woohoo)
brades68

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:07 pm

mrjones wrote:Hey guys.

I have not been riding long but had been doing the river loop a few times a week in the mornings before work.
I live in Newfarm and was wondering if I could get some suggestions for alternative rides of about 50km home and back.

On saturday and sunday i saw lots of cyclists on wynnum road, is this a good option and can i go strait from newfarm over the bridge or would it be better to drive to say morningside?

thanks lewis

Heaps of groups out on Logan Road this morning, way more than most Tuesday mornings....you can do a few repeats up Mt Gravatt on the way in/out.
Coming out from the city you'd generally have the tail-wind for the ride back to New Farm.

hth
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 pm

+1 Logan Rd was really busy with bunches this morning, but the rubbish trucks are keen to play chicken with you!

BTW - rode the path at the bottom of the Kangaroo Point Cliffs this morning. It's been bob-catted clear leaving a foot of mud at each edge. Dirty as anything, but rideable on a road-bike.

And there is a press release about asking cyclists to stay off the front of Cootha - only entering via Simpson's Rd to avoid the rubbish staging area.
ValleyForge

Postby marinmomma » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:13 pm

ValleyForge wrote:+1 Logan Rd was really busy with bunches this morning, but the rubbish trucks are keen to play chicken with you!

Thursday morning is the same too :roll: ...they do the Holland Park/Mt Gravatt area!
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:55 pm

As to parts of the "RiverLoop"

McGregor Drv around UQ is badly pot-holed & closed in part. Knowing the usual standard of bitumen repair at UQ, I think it will remain pretty much that way for a year. Suggest right at the UQ roundabout & into Coldridge St/Carmody Rd/Esplanade.

"The 'nade" to Hillside is OK, Lambert Rd is OK.

In Chelmer/Graceville, everything north of Graceville Ave is off limits. King Arthur Tce is dirty but rideable, and the extension through the Tennis Centre was getting cleaned today.
Fairfield Rd is a better bet than the Corso, but gets muddy again around the RSPCA.

Havn't explored West End yet.
ValleyForge

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland