The flood and what it means for brisbane bike riders

The flood and what it means for brisbane bike riders

Postby winona_rider » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:29 pm

Ok.

I will start by saying this:

Yesterday afternoon i went for a quick ride just to stretch the legs and scope out bikeway conditions. I was coming back home from the western freeway and I was heading up that road towards mt coot-tha (just past the planetarium). I went this way to avoid Milton rd for obvious reasons.

Unbeknownst to me, and this is just what i have read here, the police had asked cyclists to avoid this area.

and so I was stopped by a stop and go guy but allowed through. But then a TV cameraman dashed across the road filming me right up in my grill as I started the climb.

At first I thought he was filming something else but then I realised he was filming me, so I stopped and said, "What's up man?"
And then he said, "AW my boss has told me to film all cyclists on this road."
I said how I had been let through but he just turned away.

So I suddenly dawned on me this guy was there to form a piece to lynch cyclists cause there was that meeting point for volunteers just below. like "cyclists out having fun and clogging up roads while brisbane heroes do cleanup".

It didn't matter to them that I had been doing that for the past two days AND I was just riding home well under 2 ks from my house, plus I still had mud tattooed on me from the day before!

All those TV station workers hate cyclists using "their" road and robbing them of a few seconds as they have to slow to overtake. I believe have made complaints in the past.

anyway. so this is just the start - and the issues with the closed bicentennial bikeway and NO PROVISIONS for cyclists made in that event is another issue that should be discussed here.

thanks!
winona_rider

by BNA » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:52 pm

BNA

Re: The flood and what it means for brisbane bike riders

Postby MountGower » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Don't worry man, I phoned them and gave them your name and address, so just relax dude. I'm sure they'll come over there and offer you the last word now they know who you are and where you live.

Hey, what bike were you on? You didn't sully the name of any local bicycle manufacturers as you tore that innocent bitumen to pieces?
MountGower

Postby winona_rider » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm

don't worry - it was the trek in action.

i think i might be able to write a definitive "how to ride in flood affected areas - before and after" piece with all the practice i have had recently.
winona_rider

Postby MountGower » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:54 pm

I was going to phone you today posing as one of those journos, but got the cart before the horse a bit with that post.
MountGower

Return to Queensland