Riverloop?

Riverloop?

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Can anyone tell me what the riverloop circuit is like?

I don't want to get in anyones way or hinder the cleanup - I'm just keen to get back looping again. :)
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

by BNA » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:03 pm

BNA

Re: Riverloop?

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Here's the councils official status:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/bikeways.html
Rhubarb

Postby mrjones » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Steve i think most of the south side of the river is ok i have ridden from the Corso through to Southbank. so not sure about St Lucia yet like round the uni area and Chelmer Graceville Yeronga ways
mrjones

Postby Max » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:51 am

Rhubarb wrote:Here's the councils official status:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/bikeways.html

404 error. I searched their site for "bikeways" and it produced the link above. Nice work, BCC! :roll: :lol:

Try this one.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Comedian » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Ok well I'm looking for excuses to do a reccy. Child care permitting I may try Friday morning. Could be a 110k day if I do the BBTA ride at night :shock: I'd like to do a riverloop and Mt Cootha climb Sunday. :shock:

Gotta keep the green line in front of the red triangle...

Comedian

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:02 pm

River City Cycles bunch does a roadie loop Friday mornings - 6am start from RCC at Yeronga.

I believe we start back this week if you want safety in numbers.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Postby JC3 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:27 pm

I did a very short riverloop this morning that took in UQ/St Lucia, the back end of Indooroopilly, Graceville/Chelmer, Tennyson and Yeronga and my observations are:

1. Upland Road/The esplanade at UQ/St Lucia - as you start going down Upland Rd and it turns into the Esplanade, there's a decent section of road which isn't covered with bitumen. It's not all gravel, but very coarse and rough - still rideable but care needs to be taken.
2. Luxford St, Chelmer, there's a huge hole in the middle of the road.
3. Tennyson - Leybourne & Nadine Streets are fine, but stink.
4. Just after the little bridge connecting Graceville Road with King Arthur Terrace - concrete pontoon on the eastern side bank. It's not dangerous but it's amazing to see it there.
5. Backstreets of Yeronga seemed fine, as did the Corso.
6. Eleanor Schonell Bridge/Green Bridge, there's chipboard boxing around certain parts of the bridge which block out one lane meaning you have to keep an eye out for on-coming traffic.

I appreciate it doesn't cover the larger sections like West End, Southbank, Milton and Toowong, but hope this helps!

JC.
JC3

Postby Dai » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:58 am

I did a city - chelmer riverloop yesterday morning. Everything JC3 said is correct. In addition to that.

1. No problems through the tennis centre or along the corso.
2. All good through to the West End Ferry.
3. Roadworks around the West End Ferry reducing things to a single lane.
4. Still a lot of cleanup going on along the river at West End (Riverside Drive?). You can get through there, but there is a lot of dirt and mud. Signage saying the road was closed, but the traffic controller let me ride through. In the end I decided it was too sloppy and headed back up to Montague Rd, which is open and cleaned up.
5. Southbank is obviously still closed, but Stanley St is open with no problems.
6. All the bridges in the city are clear (Goodwill, Kurilpa and Go-Between)
7. Bikeway under the freeway is open, but quite dirty and a bit broken up near the QUT citycat stop.
8. Roadworks on the Coronation Drive bikeway near the Go-Between bridge. Traffic controllers are in place and you will probably get stopped for a couple of minutes to allow cyclists travelling in the other direction to pass.
9. The rest of coro drive is clear.
10. Sir Fred Schonell Drive is all good, I can't speak for the actual bikeway from Toowong to the Uni, although I saw other cyclists passing through there.
11. The ring road at UQ is all open.

All in all a pretty nice day for a ride yesterday and I think it's safe to say that the city-chelmer riverloop can now be considered OPEN!

Enjoy.
Dai

Postby Max » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:36 am

Just a "me too" post. Did the riverloop ride today, and overall it was quite rideable. A few trouble spots here and there. The only hazard I thought might end up in an "off" was the gravel patch on Upland Rd/Esplanade. The others (potholes etc) are visible at a distance and can be avoided without too much hassle.

I did encounter quite a few fallen branches and large twigs etc on the road today. These weren't easy to discern until the last minute, but were avoidable.

Overall, I concur - the riverloop is open! :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Oxford » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:12 am

yes I did a riverloop city to st lucia and apart from the aforementioned west end section, all is basically good. now to start racking up some kms.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby Comedian » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:02 am

Max wrote:Just a "me too" post. Did the riverloop ride today, and overall it was quite rideable. A few trouble spots here and there. The only hazard I thought might end up in an "off" was the gravel patch on Upland Rd/Esplanade. The others (potholes etc) are visible at a distance and can be avoided without too much hassle.

I was up front as we went into the unsealed section at about 30k and it got my attention :shock: :shock:

Comedian

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Good news! I have a friend who has just bought a roadie and I'm keen to introduce her to the 'Loop!
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby Comedian » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:52 pm

marinmomma wrote:Good news! I have a friend who has just bought a roadie and I'm keen to introduce her to the 'Loop!

Get out there Lisa. It's all about getting back to normal. :)

As cyclists it's our responsibility to give caffes across this wide land morning business :mrgreen:

Comedian

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:02 pm

My thoughts excatly, Comedian....
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon May 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Just a thought with this thread....could we use it to give a heads-up about closures/road works etc???

We did the long loop via Jindalee anf I thought that I'd report a few hazards that are out there....

Road works on 17 Mile Rocks Rd at 17 Mile Rocks....narrow section with no shoulder while they duplicate the road.

And on Dewar Tce through Corinda/Sherwood the road is all cut up awaiting re-surfacing...it will be nice and fast once the road is done!

Too many pot-holes to mention.... :roll:
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby brades68 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:04 am

hi all, i wouldn't mind doing a river loop on saturday, a steady ride before the Sunday Bris to GC. Anything i need to be aware of? Magpies etc?

Cheers
Mick
n = Specialized Tarmac SL4 (racing!), Prolite Cuneo GP (riding!)
n + 1 = Pro-Lite Trentino GP (track - woohoo)
brades68

Postby ghengis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:56 am

Watch the magpies in Graceville! That was about a week ago.. I think it was here http://g.co/maps/mvxe6

cya
Geoff
ghengis

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:37 pm

I haven't done the loop for a few weeks, been too busy climbing Mt Coot-tha :wink: ...how are the roadworks going just down from the uni along The Esplanade/Upland Rd section?
The last time I rode that section is was still quite cut up and narrow while they were doing the footpath.

They were still doing drainage works along the Corso at Yeronga too.

On a positive note the section through Corinda for the longer loop is all resurfaced and smooth as, and a few traffic calming devices installed.
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:55 pm

marinmomma wrote:I haven't done the loop for a few weeks, been too busy climbing Mt Coot-tha :wink:

Do tell??? More-ish isn't it? :)

Comedian

Postby ghengis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:04 pm

marinmomma wrote:I haven't done the loop for a few weeks, been too busy climbing Mt Coot-tha :wink: ...how are the roadworks going just down from the uni along The Esplanade/Upland Rd section?
The last time I rode that section is was still quite cut up and narrow while they were doing the footpath.

On a positive note the section through Corinda for the longer loop is all resurfaced and smooth as, and a few traffic calming devices installed.

Roadworks are all done near UQ... nice and smooth with big yellow bicycles painted on the new bitumen :) Also the drain is fixed and two lanes again on the corso.

cya
ghengis
ghengis

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:18 pm

ghengis wrote:
marinmomma wrote:I haven't done the loop for a few weeks, been too busy climbing Mt Coot-tha :wink: ...how are the roadworks going just down from the uni along The Esplanade/Upland Rd section?

Roadworks are all done near UQ... nice and smooth with big yellow bicycles painted on the new bitumen :) Also the drain is fixed and two lanes again on the corso.

cya
ghengis

Thanks for the update ghengis.

Also forgot to add the section of 17 Mile Rocks Rd that had roads works is now all opened the road is wider and there's a green painted bike lane.....that runs into nothing before Carlyle Street...it would have been nice to have it run all the way up to the ord Rd roundabout :roll:
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Comedian wrote:
marinmomma wrote:I haven't done the loop for a few weeks, been too busy climbing Mt Coot-tha :wink:

Do tell??? More-ish isn't it? :)

Twice now, last time was two weeks ago....still had to stop, briefly. I'm not going to let it beat me...gonna get up that thing without needing a break :oops:
We're doing repeats on Mt Gravatt every Tuesday morning now to build the legs to prepare for another go!

We're planning climbing Springbrook later this month....'they' tell me it's easier than Coot-tha :roll:
Lisa
marinmomma

Return to Queensland