Qld weather venting posts

Roub

Re: Qld weather venting posts

Postby Roub » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:29 am

An eventful morning that's for sure! Puncture before the rain, then I discovered first hand how well (or not ) carbon clinchers brake in the wet. It hosed down at the uni. Not incidents for me touch wood, but I like the think I use a bit of sense. The other complication is the size of some of these groups on the Riverloop, and one training company in particular and they take the entire road, makes overtaking in the wet more risky.
Lucky the RL only constitutes one morning a week for me and even then only half my ride. Nice ride, but so busy.

Good wet weather test for my Stages though.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:23 pm

When did it rain this morning? Mansfield to Woody Point and back and not a drop.

Missed yesterday mornings rain as well. Road to work pretty early and it was dry. Looked out the window at one stage and saw the road was wet and asked myself, "when did it rain?".

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:28 pm

There was a puddle on my back step yesterday morning. Apart from that sunny blue sky all round although I do live on the northside.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:59 pm

I was out west last week... Very very dry

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Roub wrote: then I discovered first hand how well (or not ) carbon clinchers brake in the wet.
Keep hearing this alot, never gave it a thought before. So how do you stop them, super expensive pads? Sorry for the off topic, curious.
Ran, this morning along the beach road, could have done with the howling wind I encountered the day before when on the bike, no matter the direction it was a headwind!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:26 pm

Change your riding style. Brake earlier/shift your weight/be more cautious or get some wheels with alloy rims.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:46 pm

jasonc wrote:friday + riverloop = never a good idea..

Yup and one group in particular can ruin it...silly blokes are easy to track down due to their kit, one more close call and I'm making a call to their sponsors

Monday is the best day for a RL, nice and quiet perfect for a nice recovery spin.
Tuesday I stay well away, some crazy bunches around :roll:
Thursday I start early and do some training around the St Peters area and am heading back in for coffee by the time the bunches are heading out...
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:49 pm

briztoon wrote:When did it rain this morning? Mansfield to Woody Point and back and not a drop.

Missed yesterday mornings rain as well. Road to work pretty early and it was dry. Looked out the window at one stage and saw the road was wet and asked myself, "when did it rain?".

Briz, no rain on Saturday but Friday there were passing showers around the place, scattered but still enough to cause some damage after a dry spell.

Btw, how is your recovery going?
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:09 pm

marinmomma wrote:
jasonc wrote:friday + riverloop = never a good idea..

Yup and one group in particular can ruin it...silly blokes are easy to track down due to their kit, one more close call and I'm making a call to their sponsors

Monday is the best day for a RL, nice and quiet perfect for a nice recovery spin.
Tuesday I stay well away, some crazy bunches around :roll:
Thursday I start early and do some training around the St Peters area and am heading back in for coffee by the time the bunches are heading out...
Tuesday /Thursday - are you suggesting we're a crazy bunch?

Monday morning is the quietest morning on Coot-tha

And NEVER do a riverloop on Friday

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:55 pm

jasonc wrote:
Tuesday /Thursday - are you suggesting we're a crazy bunch?

Monday morning is the quietest morning on Coot-tha

The DD's aren't all done up in shop/club kits, you're the good guys :wink:
Lisa

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:30 pm

That sounds like a challenge.

Stefan_A

Postby Stefan_A » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Must have been my turn to be hassled by mad groups. Was on Sandgate Rd heading south, and had to cross the Toombul Rd exit to stay on Sandgate Rd. Held my right hand out for a bit, as I had looked behind and seen a big group coming up behind me. Despite me indicating and slowing (why would anyone slow there?), the pr$# yelled out bikes back, and just ran over the top of me on the RHS. And I was towards the right side of the bike lane. The pack leaders should have handled that more intelligently.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:56 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
I'm happy to just make it any day that ends in a 'y'

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
too many different skill levels trying to use (share is the wrong word) the same piece of road. your comments are the reasons I don't do the brissy to bay. think that but narrower roads

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:13 pm

It's why I don't do it anymore. Doing 45 up hills where people are walking their bikes haha.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:17 pm

marinmomma wrote:
briztoon wrote:When did it rain this morning? Mansfield to Woody Point and back and not a drop.

Briz, no rain on Saturday but Friday there were passing showers around the place, scattered but still enough to cause some damage after a dry spell.

Btw, how is your recovery going?
Good thanks marinmomma. Completed my first two 100km+ rides since the accident last Sunday and yesterday and 583km so far this year. Recovery seems to take a little bit longer though. Though it's getting hard to juggle work and riding. How are you faring? I hope your collar bone and spine are healing well. Are you back on the bike yet?

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Still haven't done a River Loop or Cootha. Some times I wonder if I'm really missing anything with what I read on here.

I struggle with the smallish groups that I encounter heading up to Redcliffe and back. It's a little nervy when I'm enjoying a cruise through the Boondal Wetlands and am focused on looking ahead through the trees for on coming riders, when I hear "bike back" and "passing on the right" a split second before the first rider is passing me and all I'm trying to do is stay on the path as rider after rider flicks past regardless of the twists and turns of the tight path.

As for the weather. Looking at the weather forecast for this week, I'm wondering if I should commute to work or not.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:00 pm

briztoon wrote:Some times I wonder if I'm really missing anything with what I read on here.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:43 am

Bad news for the rest of the week.
Every day is predicted to be about 35 degrees and humid, except for thursday and friday which will be more moderate.

Yesterday was a stinger at about 33-34 degrees for much of the day.

But i had to visit a friend recovering after an operation at the Princess Alexandra Hospital.

It was a bizzare experience to enter that place and find everyone within it complaining about the excessively cold air-conditioning.
Staff, patients and visitors.
How strange is that - everyone complaining about the same thing but nobody able to fix a problem as simple as changing a temperature setting.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:39 am

awesome weather this morning

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:38 am

jasonc wrote:awesome weather this morning
It is certainly a nice morning but it's starting to warm up now.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:24 am

I think people take for granted how nice a ride the River loop is, but personally the main attraction is just the convenience for the majority of the group.
Mutually acceptable 0530 start time, all done by 0630 for coffee home by 0730, relaxed pace, etc.
Constantly organising alternate group rides wears me out, so the default becomes a River loop.

I do a fast River loop on the occasional Tuesday and am often cringing, couldn't stomach doing it every week.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:25 am

jasonc wrote:awesome weather this morning

Indeed, lovely spin around the River with only a couple of knobs out today.

Forecast not looking appealing for the rest of the week, I'm guessing our good run can't last forever :roll:
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:37 am

briztoon wrote:
marinmomma wrote: Btw, how is your recovery going?
Good thanks marinmomma. Completed my first two 100km+ rides since the accident last Sunday and yesterday and 583km so far this year. Recovery seems to take a little bit longer though. Though it's getting hard to juggle work and riding. How are you faring? I hope your collar bone and spine are healing well. Are you back on the bike yet?

Good to hear that you are starting to string some longer rides back in, yes I agree this recovery business can be a long and tedious venture, some days it's a two step forward and one back thing.
I'm back on the bike, collar bone is good, the shoulder is getting stronger however my main problem is that due to the fracture to the head of the radius I currently am unable to straighten my arm, it's a long way from looking normal actually, I have limited movement and almost constant pain.
My Physio is starting to think that there is something else going on in there so will be looking into further tests to find out.
I look a bit like a Quasimodo on a bike and the arm and shoulder often give out before the legs.

Things could have been worse however I'm not prepared to live with my arm as it currently is.

All the best with your continued recovery Briz and I guess into the investigation with the driver who caused it all, are you chasing some form of compensation from the driver?
Lisa

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:11 pm

marinmomma wrote:Things could have been worse however I'm not prepared to live with my arm as it currently is.

All the best with your continued recovery Briz and I guess into the investigation with the driver who caused it all, are you chasing some form of compensation from the driver?
I pray that you resolve the problems with your arm.

Yeah, I have Maurice and Blackburn on the case.