Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:19 pm

jasonc wrote:
elpatron wrote:haha wednesday morning was bad, the rest not so much
i caught the bus wednesday :oops:
The what?

CKinnard

Re: Qld weather venting posts

Postby CKinnard » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:45 pm

Rather than whinge about the weather, I just went and bought one of these. :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:01 pm

:lol: 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:10 pm

that a TCX?

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:54 am

The rain hasn't bother me too much, the wet black soil where we are camped is not so good for riding though. I took my hybrid with me, and I'm pleasantly surprised how good the 700c 35 tyres are at cutting through the top slippery mud to grip well underneath. Fun in the mud [emoji12]
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:37 pm

yeah it's a 2015 tcx slr. the 2014 had a better spec and was considerably lighter. I've been led to believe giant down-specced due foreign exchange issues. Though I don't know how true that could be if they down specced the model right across the globe.

It would seem to me to be a sneaky marketing ploy to make the first iteration of a bike model highly specced. that will create a lot of positive press...then drop the spec on later iterations, knowing the positive rep will flow over for a year or two. (how cynical am I!)

anyway, I went for a later ride today, and was on shared paths a bit. Got fed up with idiots with multiple dogs on long leashes.
One of them yelled out for me to ring my bell after I overtook at walking pace...at this point the path was very busy, and I would have been ringing it every 4 seconds. I couldn't help myself and just yelled back !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. it's ok for him with his 2 lap dogs to dominate the whole path though!

another woman also had 2 dogs on long leashes, and as usual they decided to block the whole path as I came along from behind (not at speed).
So I dutifully called the woman who made no attempt to reel the dogs in , an idiot. to which she shot back I was the idiot and a whole lot of other bogan brain slop.

Seriously, it seems after 9am all the inconsiderate self absorbed morons come out. And don't mention cars trying to find a parking spot that just crawl along and never indicate, impervious to who they are inconveniencing behind.

I don't think non cyclists realize how selfish and self centred a large % of Australians are these days.
Bring back the rain again i say....so all the body and brain slobs stay home or go to the mall....just stay off the shared paths!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:39 pm

I seriously don't know what all the people on here and out there are complaining about. I haven't had this much fun in the rain since that cyclone earlier in the year. As said above. Bring back the rain :P

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri May 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I seriously don't know what all the people on here and out there are complaining about. I haven't had this much fun in the rain since that cyclone earlier in the year. As said above. Bring back the rain :P
Well you got your wish young man.
It is wet as.

Tried to ride bike to work this morning, it was more like swimming than riding. :|
Was actually quite good fun. For a while.
Felt sorry for the only other bloke i saw on the shared bike path this morning, who was a very elderly gent pushing a wheely walker.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:44 pm

I had Sunshine riding in this morning, 1 more hour to go and the fun begins
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 01, 2015 3:48 pm

take care cancan. it's full on out there

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Was thinking of using my free rail but still got to get home from station so leaving early... Unsure if this will be fun or not
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:38 pm

Changed my plans, wynnum rd is a mess and visibility is poor so joined the cue at the train station

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 01, 2015 4:42 pm

sensible cancan. sometimes it just isn't safe

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri May 01, 2015 4:50 pm

jasonc wrote:sensible cancan. sometimes it just isn't safe
And today is one of those days :shock:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri May 01, 2015 7:37 pm

Massive rain at my place over 300mm since 7 this morning. Getting the kids home from school has been hectic. The eldest is still stuck on the Bruce highway with my father in law, 4hr after school has finished. It's normally a 15min drive :shock:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri May 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Half your luck, no train services at all up here. It's been a solid hit, last i checked Elimbah was on 310mm since 9am!

EDIT: just beat me to it scott :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri May 01, 2015 10:57 pm

elantra wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I seriously don't know what all the people on here and out there are complaining about. I haven't had this much fun in the rain since that cyclone earlier in the year. As said above. Bring back the rain :P
Well you got your wish young man.
It is wet as.

Tried to ride bike to work this morning, it was more like swimming than riding. :|
Was actually quite good fun. For a while.
Felt sorry for the only other bloke i saw on the shared bike path this morning, who was a very elderly gent pushing a wheely walker.
FUN FUN FUN!!! I saw about 5 cyclists out there today :)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat May 02, 2015 12:05 am

had a ride on wed morning in the rain...all my gear is still wet wet wet.
the rain in the last 48 hours has been the heaviest I recall in 50 years.
This arvo, there were cars broken down everywhere after not slowing down for the conditions and smacking large pools of water over the road. Around Sandgate/Boondall, there must have been more than 20 cars broken down just after accumulated water on the road at several spots....and I counted 3 rear enders.
Sandgate Rd Virginia was a car park for several hours this arvo, and people were abandoning their cars as water kept rising around them..some were really losing it.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat May 02, 2015 1:14 am

Sweet jesus did Coco Pops have another driving license prize??? We had some guy in his Hyundai buzzbox excel floor it down our street on the wrong side of the road in bumper to bumper go nowhere traffic to beat the on coming traffic to the side street. Long story short he spun 180 degrees and hit the gutter when he saw the 'parked' cars (2 had run out of fuel and 1 overheated) in the side street. That was followed up identically minus the 180 degree spin about 10 minutes later by 2 cop cars with flashing lights going to a head on crash about 100m up that same side street.

Earlier in the day waiting on Gympie Road/Rode Road some P plater was racing the yellow/red light. Only problem was traffic had now slowed through the intersection. Slammed on the brakes and skidded into the back of a Mazda.

Heading along Gympie Road I saw some idiot in a Audi attempt to go through the flood water only to get stuck. Also saw a Commodore. Had a good laugh with the guy from Hungry Jacks who was out watching/preventing people from entering their carpark (flooded). On the way back I saw it was one of the top of the line HSV's so I laughed and laughed. All that cash and !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! for brains writes it off.

Idiot in the black car had just changed lanes from the far right and jumped on the brakes at a green light. The white car swerved around. The road must have been flooded or a man hole cover was exposed?
Nope. U-turn from the middle lane at a no right turn intersection INTO GRIDLOCK!!!! F****** w*****!
But hang on Luke it looks like it's flooded up ahead.... or is it just muddy water....

Train services were cut at Carseldine/Bald Hills due to water over the tracks

Apparently someone from the local council thought this was a good location to install a water fountain.

Heading through some backstreets in Carseldine I saw a manhole cover that had come lose on the otherside of the road. I signaled rapidly to the driver coming the other way to slow down and pointed directly at it. They started to slow down and a few seconds after we crossed paths BANG!!! Nailed it! They quickly pulled over after that. Would have had to have damaged the steering/suspension.

First rule of water over the road? FLOOR IT AND HIT IT AT 88MPH!

Outside Geebung Railway station. Waiting in the right turn only lane with the left thru only lane beside me.
Hang on what's this. Left hand lane man wants to do a uturn while I'm side by side with him?? P*** off mate!

The ACU doing a fine job of blocking the intersection. This was happening at almost every intersection but this guy took the cake.

This **** bag thought he'd drive towards me after I shone my helmet light directly at his car to alert him that I was in the bike lane and to not pull out.
So for payback he thought he'd then block the bike lane with his car. Black car. No lights on. No blinkers. Then honks the horn when I flip him the bird and called him a ******* **** bag.

Either Mr Camry driver flooded it or he mounted the island to use as a guide and got stuck on the height differences when it narrowed.

And this from the CM: "Last night, there was panic along Sandgate Rd at Virginia, with motorists stranded for more than two hours and water was rising around them." As someone that rode past. What panic???

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat May 02, 2015 7:15 am

The camry most likely sucked a gutful of water, they have ridiculously low air intakes (found that the hard way, and not driving through floodwater i should add).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat May 02, 2015 9:09 am

Yeah. I saw quite a few of them parked in water yesterday :P I wasn't sure if it had ingested a bunch of water or bottomed out because the water wasn't that deep at that point lol.

Last edited by Lukeyboy on Sat May 02, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Qld weather venting posts

Postby RonK » Sat May 02, 2015 9:29 am

Despite the warnings 4 motorists have paid the ultimate price. When will they learn?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat May 02, 2015 1:59 pm

5 from what I heard and it was 5min from my place on Beerburrum rd. It appears they tried to cross King John Creek when the water was flowing over it. Two cars now wedged under train bridge that run parallel to Beerburrum rd.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat May 02, 2015 4:57 pm

All three incidents were at railway bridges. People seem to forget that railway lines are effectively dams in heavy rain. Just look at the Toowoomba 2011 floods or the Brisbane 2011 floods. And speaking of railways. Every single one of the 84 cars parked at North Boondall railway station was a write off.