Qld weather venting posts

foo on patrol

Re: Qld weather venting posts

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:44 am

3am, 27c :shock: I'm going out now for a ride, stuff later on. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Was 38 according to my garmin when I finished riding this morning... Didn't see any other cyclist in the first hour and hardly anyone on cootha.... the pool was great when I got home

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:19 pm

Well it's 44.1 here and the bloody pool is 30.8c. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 pm

temperature gauge in the shade says just over 40 here.

Waccofozzy

Postby Waccofozzy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:57 pm

44.5 Deg C here in Jamboree Heights at 1445

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:48 pm

It didn't feel that hot. I even wanted to get out for a ride haha.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:22 pm

Car temp display read 50.1° after 10 minutes of driving around 1pm. Was parked downstairs in the garage before starting, all concrete, where the air temp reading was 34° and ground temp was 32°. The car never stopped more than 10 seconds for a giveway intersection so no heat soak to skew the reading too much. The glue on the tops of the front door cards failed today and now the faux leather has started separating and curling in on itself! Yes car temp sensors aren't the most accurate, but I worked in Gatton yesterday in 42° and today was something much worse. Other temp guages around here in West Ipswich reached 50 today as well so I believe it.
I also cracked an egg on the pave outside our house, but the crows ate it. The egg white was starti g to go cloudy after 5 minutes. Took pics of all this again today but Photobucket is completely unusable after the recent app upgrade. The developers have now utterly destroyed it.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:43 pm

Was just over 40 degrees at my work in Noosa at 11am. It was so hot in the workshop I had to call it quits about 10am, the electric motors were too hot to pick up :shock: . On the plus side I sprayed primer on a MTB stem I had sandblasted and it was dry within a minute :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:35 am

Waccofozzy wrote:44.5 Deg C here in Jamboree Heights at 1445
interesting first post - you live around the corner from me

Waccofozzy

Postby Waccofozzy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:21 am

Long time lurker Jason ;)
I have OFS - Old, Fat and Slow

K2

Postby K2 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:01 pm

Been up in Hervey Bay for just over a week and while it's certainly nowhere near as hot by the seaside as elsewhere, the almost constant NNWers have made it interesting.

Yesterday morning about 5:30am I pulled onto the esplanade at the pier and thought I'd mistakenly turned into a wind tunnel. I was using climbing gears to push an impressive 17kph passing Peppers (it's flat)! Fortunately that was the worst of it and the returns from Gatakers made it worth the considerable increase in effort getting there.

When I finished and explained to the Mrs that the reason I looked like I'd just traversed the Nullabor was because it was gusting at way over 35kph out there, she scoffed (she seems to do that a lot :oops: ). How could I possibly know that? Well Sweetness, that'd be because I regularly travel at about that speed on calm days and can gauge the similar feel when things are reversed (ie. when I'm still and the wind is doing the moving), and am getting better at guesstimating it even when I'm struggling into it (both from the effort required and visual clues)(although strangely I almost always underestimate how much assistance it's providing until I turn back into it....and have to drop several gears....and accept that I am not the superman :oops: ). Hmmmpfff was the response.

So after breakfast, cleaning up, etc, I finally sit down at the 'puter to see what the BOM site has to say on the matter. 33kph gusting to 46kph at 10am with highest of 54kph a little earlier. Judging by the reduction in wind noise around the house, trees and wires by then, I'd speculate that it was averaging a fair bit more when I began. Not surprising then that I didn't see a single other happy face in my travels.

The tricky conditions and sandblasting received around Shelly/Torquay were a minor inconvenience however compared to the lack of swimming due to the NNWers blowing gazillions of blubber jellyfish onto the beaches. Who goes to the beach and doesn't swim?....for more than a week?....in this weather?

An old man cannot live by cycling alone.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Yeah but did you say well come here and look at the Bom site, ye of little faith woman? :twisted:

Foo
Goal 6000km

RonK

Qld weather venting posts

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:26 pm

The hot weather has the reptiles on the move. Thought mischief was afoot on Lomandra Drive when a moto suddenly veered toward me, then I noticed he was avoiding a rather large and very much alive snake.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Ropecharmer

Postby Ropecharmer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:45 pm

Anyone feel like sharing their favourite temperature control trick/s? I wear a long-sleeve white jersey (keeping it wet with water from the second bidon) for hot weather, and go the full Ice vest when the weather gets north of 40deg.

The ice neck / wrist / vest gear seems to be gaining popularity on mine sites in the Pilbara.
The bicycle is the solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Rule 5 seems to do the job nicely :P

Ropecharmer

Postby Ropecharmer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:06 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Rule 5 seems to do the job nicely :P
Heatwaves kill more people in Australia than all other natural disasters combined. I guess rigor is one way to HTFU.

:roll:
The bicycle is the solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Then use common bloody sense. If you are of age or fitness where you suffer in the heat then don't go out in it or keep drinking water before, during and after. If its going to be a scorcher don't go and venture on a 150km ride. Use your brain. Its really that simple.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:01 pm

Ropecharmer wrote:Anyone feel like sharing their favourite temperature control trick/s? I wear a long-sleeve white jersey (keeping it wet with water from the second bidon) for hot weather, and go the full Ice vest when the weather gets north of 40deg.

The ice neck / wrist / vest gear seems to be gaining popularity on mine sites in the Pilbara.
Not many places in Qld where it's 40deg at 5:30am.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:08 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Then use common bloody sense. If you are of age or fitness where you suffer in the heat then don't go out in it or keep drinking water before, during and after. If its going to be a scorcher don't go and venture on a 150km ride. Use your brain. Its really that simple.
In a humid environment like coastal Qld it also helps to wear as little clothing as possible.
Occasionally it might be necessary to strip down to shorts and shoes only- but don't get sunburnt !
But sunburn is not likely to be a problem before 6am or after 6pm.

As Luke says, in very hot weather conditions do not attempt to ride 150 km.
It is sometimes necessary to shorten a ride plan, or call someone for a car ride home or find a train station.
Sometimes, the stubbornness of the group or individual gets in the way of the change of plans.
Rule number 5 is a recipe for disaster in the extreme weather scenario.

As they say, discretion is the better part of valour.

Edit - also beware - mobile phones can occasionally stop working properly in extreme heat.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:59 am

humid this morning.
elantra wrote:Edit - also beware - poorly designed mobile phones can occasionally stop working properly in extreme heat.
FTFY

K2

Postby K2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:36 am

foo on patrol wrote:Yeah but did you say well come here and look at the Bom site, ye of little faith woman? :twisted:
You mean am I the sort of person who'd feel the need to prove a point I'd already adequately addressed by seeking hard data then waving it in her face whilst smugly uttering "I told you so."?

Unfortunately, yes. :oops:

Did manage a short swim yesterday. There was only one jellyfish washed up on the beach so we thought it worth the risk. Of course the Mrs encountered its mate very much alive and kicking in the drink! She's not having a great week.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:50 am

So this mornings greasy roads caught a lot of ppl off guard, plenty of carnage on the River loop

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:04 pm

Dimma wrote:So this mornings greasy roads caught a lot of ppl off guard, plenty of carnage on the River loop
Checked the radar at 4:30 and went back to bed...Fridays are bad enough on the RL on a dry morning, sounds like I made a good decision 8)
Lisa

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:26 pm

If the weather and conditions catches you off guard you need to ride more :twisted: :twisted:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:08 pm

friday + riverloop = never a good idea.
i got wet. who cares? I was commuting. had a shower at work anyway.