Cycle Qld Goondawindi to Brisbane

elantra

Re: Cycle Qld Goondawindi to Brisbane

Postby elantra » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:50 am

juggled_balls wrote:sounds like a really awesome ride...i got a bit of the cycling bug after doing 2 rides in perth last year...but i'm in townsville and have no idea how i would get me and my bike down to goodawindi :(
I think you will find there is a personel and bike transport option from Bris to Gundi on the enrolment form.

From Townsville, to start at Gundi would be no mean feat.
First, a 2 hour flight, or a much longer bus trip.
Then a bus trip out west, probably about 5 hours, hopefully including some stops. :|
Start at Stanthorpe on the rest day is also a closer option, there will be a bus provided for this group also.

juggled_balls

Postby juggled_balls » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:12 am

cool mate thanks for that :)

the grid

Postby the grid » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Just got my Campese tent ballot. Scraped in at #72 (out of 75)
Now I am committed.
Just need to catch that red arrow.....

Max

Postby Max » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:51 pm

I got a Campese tent too! :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

juggled_balls

Postby juggled_balls » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:31 am

wow i just read the site...1 tent for 8 nights for $400!!...i suppose it is a nice tent and it's all set up for you but damn...i got my dome tent for $50 and takes 5 minutes to set up....will be taking that along with me...if i can get time off work *fingers crossed*

the grid

Postby the grid » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:52 pm

juggled_balls wrote:wow i just read the site...1 tent for 8 nights for $400!!...i suppose it is a nice tent and it's all set up for you but damn...i got my dome tent for $50 and takes 5 minutes to set up....will be taking that along with me...if i can get time off work *fingers crossed*
If you're on your own take your own tent its easy but with a 5yo last year it was hard work. So $400 is worth it so I can have a little post ride nap then get out there!!
Last edited by the grid on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:38 pm

juggled_balls wrote:wow i just read the site...1 tent for 8 nights for $400!!...i suppose it is a nice tent and it's all set up for you but damn...i got my dome tent for $50 and takes 5 minutes to set up....will be taking that along with me...if i can get time off work *fingers crossed*
I had a small dome tent last year and it goes up or down in 5 minutes or less no problems. :D
(Well actually there is a bit of a problem if it rains, but that is another story.)

Actually the bigger problem is FINDING your kit when you ride into camp.
Last year there were 2 Volvo Semis on baggage haulage duties, both red in colour.

You were supposed to remember which one you throw your stuff onto in the morning.
Problem was they were both the same colour so i would usually go to the wrong truck to look for my gear :lol:

Max

Postby Max » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 pm

$400 is a lot of money, but it's worth it for me. No worries about finding a place to pitch a tent, no struggling with a tent in dodgy weather, a big tent with plenty of room, your bags are easy to find. Plus, you don't have to pack a tent and accessories, so it doesn't count against your baggage limit. :)

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

the grid

Postby the grid » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:45 am

Hi Max
Would the Campese tent be big enough for two adults and a 6year old?

Max

Postby Max » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:28 am

Grid,

The past couple CQ's, I've Easy Campesed with my mum. Each of us had two duffel bags. Between the two of us and our bags and miscellaneous crap, it was at capacity (note: we don't exactly travel light). Don't forget that they also supply a sleeping mat which is quite large. Perhaps if you forgo their sleeping mat and use your own (ie something smaller) you might be able to do it with two adults and a kid.

Max

the grid

Postby the grid » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:20 am

Thx max

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Theres something to be said about not having to put up a tent when its already raining, and the other advantage is that you're not likely to get the camping spots that turn into a moat, as those in Mt Morgan last year would attest to.

There is also the consideration about not having to find a decent camping spot each night. Some spots, if you manage to always get in late, aren't that flash.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:18 pm

Fred Nurk wrote: Theres something to be said about not having to put up a tent when its already raining, and the other advantage is that you're not likely to get the camping spots that turn into a moat, as those in Mt Morgan last year would attest to.

There is also the consideration about not having to find a decent camping spot each night. Some spots, if you manage to always get in late, aren't that flash.
I missed out on the EasyCampese draw.

Not that it worries me, personally i think that a lot less than 400 bucks would get me a nice motel room for the 2 nights that we are in Stanthorpe. :D
Somewhere close to the campground, so i don't have to carry my gear too far to the luggage truck. :idea:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Well I doubt I will be able to go this year - I've been thinking about it a bit. It's quite a big problem with two kids. Not unsurmountable.. but difficult. My biggest problem with this is that my wife isn't strong enough or a confident enough rider to pull a child over that distance. Other problems are finding two tandems, getting a week off, and the $2500 entry fee for the family :(

Is there such a thing as a triple designed for an adult and two kids?

Having said that, I reckon it's a super great event and I'd love to do it at some point. There is a small chance I might be able to do a half distance myself.

the grid

Postby the grid » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Just paid the dosh so I wouldn't lose my Campese spot. Phoned in my credit card number at 5 minutes the the deadline.

Max

Postby Max » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Holy crap! I thought the payment cutoff was sometime next week! Stupid muddle-headed brain! :x :oops:

Thanks for the reminder, the grid. I called BQ and they accepted my payment even though I was a day late. Phew!!

Max

Max

Postby Max » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:56 am

Bicycle Queensland have posted some information about the route after doing a test ride. Have a look here. :)

Max

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:22 am

Max wrote:Bicycle Queensland have posted some information about the route after doing a test ride. Have a look here. :)

Max
It would be nice to be out there now, seems hard to have to wait 3 months.

But then again one of our members reports that temp was 4 degree at Stanthorpe yesterday arvo
The southerners would have felt comfortable :lol:

Max

Postby Max » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:42 am

elantra wrote:
Max wrote:Bicycle Queensland have posted some information about the route after doing a test ride. Have a look here. :)

Max
It would be nice to be out there now, seems hard to have to wait 3 months.
+lots. I can't wait for CQ! RE temperature, I hear ya. And any time of year, Goondiwindi nights are bloody cold. At least mum and I will be staying in a hotel on the Friday night :D

Max

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:10 am

Info night tonight at Souths Rugby League Club, Jane Street West End. 6.30 PM
http://www.bq.org.au/ride/events-calend ... nfo-night/

Good to attend if you are curious or might consider participating this year or eventually.

Max

Postby Max » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:08 pm

I just got an email update about CQ. This year, they're introducing a "cashless" bar. The idea being that you pre-purchase reusable plastic tokens and give these to the bar staff instead of actual cash. The purpose is to speed up service by removing the need for bar staff to mess about with cash, cash tins, registers, whatever. I think it's a really good idea. :)

Max

amkrasnoff

Postby amkrasnoff » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi fellow CQ riders,

I have stumbled across this site with interest. My daughter Jasmine & I ( we were the 'Cat in the Hat' pair at last year's CQ Last Night Party) have signed up for this years ride.

We signed up on last Sunday night (10/7) and got numbers 572/573. I'd be interested in what the numbers are looking like?

I read a few interesting comments;

This is our 4th ride - we started with that last 4 days in 2008 (Tin Can Bay to Redcliffe) with Jasmine (4 1/2) in a Chariot, then the full ride in 2009 (Darling Downs Tour again in a chariot), last year we upgraded to a Tandem towing a chariot. Jas found that at 6 1/2 she was able to make most of the days rides but did enjoy a quick 'nap' in the chariot.

This years we are doing the full ride on just the Tandem.

Keep the insights coming.

Adrian

the grid

Postby the grid » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:52 am

Hey Adrian,
Ben and I have signed up again for the full ride this time. I am looking at the tandem option instead of towing the weego this year.
Hope to see you on the road.
fraser

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:16 pm

Early bird entries close today !!!!!

http://cycleqld.bq.org.au/whats-on/itinerary/

P.S. Hi Adrian. Recognize the Avatar ?

OldGuysRule

Postby OldGuysRule » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Hello all, I am doing the ride this year. Did the Goondiwindi to Gold Coast back in 2005 which was a great ride. How many on here are doing the ride this year?
2009 Teschner Euro Pro, SRAM Red