Mustang

Cycle Qld Goondawindi to Brisbane

Postby Mustang » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Sneak preview of Goondawindi to Brisbane:
Latest News
Cycle Queensland explores the border in 2011
04 January 2011

Goondiwindi to Brisbane: Saturday 10 to Sunday 18 September 2011

The Border Explorer is our most unique rolling two-wheeled adventure yet. The first couple of days are a warm-up of easy cycling beside the Dumaresq River. Then we encounter the Granite Belt, Queensland's premier wine region, and stop for a day to take in the sights, sounds, tastes and aromas of Stanthorpe and surrounds.

From there we sneak over the border to NSW for some thrilling views and magnificent cycling along the Mt Lindesay Road, cruising through spectacular National Parks before heading north to the rolling hills and picturesque farms of the Fassifern Valley. We will finish in the New World City, Brisbane, making post-ride transport as easy as can be.

Take a holiday where you can really pedal away from the everyday…9 days, 570km, 1500 friends.

Dates and towns now confirmed:
Day 1
Goondiwindi to Yelarbon
57km
Day 2
Yelarbon to Texas
64km
Day 3
Texas to Stanthorpe
99km
Day 4
Rest Day in Stanthorpe
-
Day 5
Stanthorpe to Killarney
86km
Day 6
Killarney to Woodenbong (NSW)
55km
Day 7
Woodenbong (NSW) to Boonah
87km
Day 8
Boonah to Rosewood
69km
Day 9
Rosewood to Brisbane
55km
The Texas to Stanthorpe from memory had plenty of hills??? any one know this route?
Cheers brent
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Max

Re: Cycle Qld Goondawindi to Brisbane

Postby Max » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:36 am

I'll be doing it this year! C'mon, BNA folks, who else is signing up? :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

soc

Postby soc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:15 am

Would if I could afford it (and get the time off) Maxie... You'll have to fly the flag for us :)

Got chatting to a rider the other day while doing a Redcliffe loop; he'd done 5 out of the last 6 Cycle Qld (or something like that), has an absolute blast each time. Apparently makes it a bit of a race to get to the pubs as soon as possible to start the days "festivities".

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:23 am

What is the likely cost?
Goondawindi to Brisbane news page does not mention the cost involved with that ride.

Cheers,
Tom

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:34 am

greyhoundtom wrote:What is the likely cost?
Goondawindi to Brisbane news page does not mention the cost involved with that ride.

Cheers,
Tom
It's a bargain, food and pit stops is included.
Cost will be about $ 700 for 9 days or $ 400 for 4 days.
2011 route is similar to the 2005 route which was a very popular and successful one.
But 2011 route has some very interesting diversions including one night spent over the border in NSW, assuming they open the gate for us. :|

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:38 pm

elantra wrote: But 2011 route has some very interesting diversions including one night spent over the border in NSW, assuming they open the gate for us. :|
You should be OK as I don't think they operate the tick gate 24hrs a day anymore.

the grid

Postby the grid » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:43 pm

I am in for the whole trip this time but have to drag my 6 year old along again....won't be getting to the pubs.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Thanks for that, the cost is certainly very reasonable!

How much gear do you need to carry? Do you need camping equipment and a tent?

Just looking at the logistics of the whole thing, such as what type of bike I need, the getting to Goondiwindi and getting back to Melbourne from Brissy.

Cheers,
Tom

Max

Postby Max » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:18 am

GreyhoundTom, have a look here for info on what to bring. The long and short of it is that the CQ people will carry all your stuff from campsite to campsite, so you don't need to worry about whether you or your bike can carry it as you ride along.

My experience has been that the handbook is pretty good at suggestions for what to bring. Yes, you need to bring a tent, a sleeping bag and a sleeping mat. I've been lucky in that every time, I've managed to get an Easy Campese tent, so I haven't had to bring my own tent or sleeping mat, but I've had to bring everything else. You don't need cooking gear (in fact this is discouraged/banned due to the risk of fire in the campgrounds) as they will provide all main meals for you, but you will need plates, cutlery etc.

Here is the checklist I used last year (.XLSX format). I used pretty much every item on this list at least once (with the exception of spare tubes/CO2/hand pump since I didn't get any flats - but don't skimp on these!).

As to what bike you need - I've done CQ twice now, both times on a Cannondale Synapse road bike (CF). Compact double at the front and 11-27 at the back. Lots of people ride MTBs, flatbar roadies, SS etc. You'll also see the occasional tandem and recumbent bike.

Getting to Goondiwindi isn't straight-forward. My investigations so far suggest that the major commercial airlines don't run any services to Gundy. The CQ people will have a bus service to transport you and your stuff from Brisbane. Your bike, too, if that's what you want. They'll have a depot in Melbourne that you can use to drop your bike off, so you won't have to worry about how to get the bike to/from Brisbane. Have a look here for details. Don't forget to pack tools to reassemble your bike.

Although the links I've provided are for last year's CQ, the gist will be the same this year.

:)
Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

anonymous_

Postby anonymous_ » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:26 am

Me and my long lost uni buddy(who I caught up with after many years and found out is cyclist too) will be going. I did it last year and had a ball. Was even better run than BV ride I did the year before.

Will be coming up from Sydney.

Looking forward Bnsw getting their act together and organizing a new 9 day ride. Come on Omar.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:33 am

I would love to do this. I'm not sure about leaving the family for 9 days though. I'm thinking through that. It might have to wait until they are old enough. :)

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Comedian wrote:I would love to do this. I'm not sure about leaving the family for 9 days though. I'm thinking through that. It might have to wait until they are old enough. :)
Just let their chains out a bit with enough food & water, they will be fine. :)
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

the grid

Postby the grid » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:43 am

Comedian wrote:I would love to do this. I'm not sure about leaving the family for 9 days though. I'm thinking through that. It might have to wait until they are old enough. :)
Take the family with you......

PS schwabes in the post

Max

Postby Max » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:37 am

the grid wrote:
Take the family with you......
Damn straight. Last year and the year before, there were heaps of parents towing kids in trailers and tag-alongs and tandems. Just bring them all with you, Comedian!

Max

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Consider signing up for half of the ride.
The second half will be the more thrilling, because of some big descents and good scenery. :P

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Not for me this year, though I never expected to have the free time off anyway.

Way too cold for me that time of year in Southern Qld, Monto was more than cold enough for me at night last year.

If you have the opportunity, just go do it.

Max

Postby Max » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:32 pm

Entries are OOOOPPPPPEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Sadly, this year I am not the first person to sign up. No Ground Effect prize for me! Oh well, my reward will just have to be knowing that I spent 9 days having a grand time riding my bike with 1000 like-minded others. :mrgreen:

Max

the grid

Postby the grid » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Just posted my Campese ballot form in. If I get a tent I'll do the whole lot with the offspring otherwise the second five days.
Last edited by the grid on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Hmmm... just looking at it. I'm really not sure about the two kids options for 9 days.... hmmm... maybe the 5 day option.. not sure... not sure... might go to the info night...

The whole kids thing seems like hard work...

Max

Postby Max » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:18 am

Comedian wrote:Hmmm... just looking at it. I'm really not sure about the two kids options for 9 days.... hmmm... maybe the 5 day option.. not sure... not sure... might go to the info night...

The whole kids thing seems like hard work...
It probably is hard work, but lots of other parents manage it. Maybe you could ask BQ to put you in touch with others who've done it with kids, to get an appreciation of how much effort is involved? Would your lovely wife be able to participate, or would it be just you?

Max

hosko

Postby hosko » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:59 pm

I would certainly enjoy doing this. I have only got the cycling bug back after many years of not getting on.

I think however my first long ride will be the Southbank to Surfers in Oct this year and maybe will look at doing this one next year.

My bike I don't think at present would make such a long ride. I bought it in 1997 and still works well but it's still getting some TLC to get it back to a nice condition.

My priority is saving some $ for a newer bike first. My mate bought a Gaint Defy Advanced the other day. Looks like he is hardly pushing now and flies past most of us. (yeah.. I am jelous!!)

This looks like a fantastic ride. Hopefully I can work something out for 2012. (will have to be then...apparently there is no 2013 according to some mayans.)
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

the grid

Postby the grid » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:14 pm

Hosko
I went last year and people were on all sorts of bikes ... even Kmart type MTB with baldy tyres...adds to the adventure.
A full on road bike can be at a disadvantage with some of the rough roads with puncture etc. I ran 700c x 28s with no trouble.

Max

Cycle Qld Goondawindi to Brisbane

Postby Max » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:01 am

My leave has been approved! Yippee! :mrgreen:

Max

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:38 pm

the grid wrote:Hosko
I went last year and people were on all sorts of bikes ... even Kmart type MTB with baldy tyres...adds to the adventure.
A full on road bike can be at a disadvantage with some of the rough roads with puncture etc. I ran 700c x 28s with no trouble.
I'm sure there were a few that didn't enjoy the gravel road sections on the last day.

Given I took knobbly tyres, I made sure to take as much advantage as possible though.

juggled_balls

Postby juggled_balls » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:59 pm

sounds like a really awesome ride...i got a bit of the cycling bug after doing 2 rides in perth last year...but i'm in townsville and have no idea how i would get me and my bike down to goodawindi :(