2009 Teschner Euro Pro, SRAM Red

Comedian

Cycle Qld Goondawindi to Brisbane

Postby Comedian » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Standing looking lost with red bag?

OldGuysRule

Postby OldGuysRule » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Sorry had to bale out, but grid is there with his small son ( eating dinner)

Max

Postby Max » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:07 am

Sweet merciful crap it's cold this morning :(

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Max

Postby Max » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:44 pm

A very pleasant ride to Killarney today. I have new wheels on the bike, courtesy of the back wheel's hub breaking. Thanks to Epic, I'm back on the road :mrgreen:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Mustang

Re: Cycle Qld Goondawindi to Brisbane

Postby Mustang » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:03 am

Wish I was there :( :( :( , the weather map looks good for the week, enjoy.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Max

Postby Max » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:05 pm

The weather is terrific! During the day, at least. Bloody cold at night!

Max

OldGuysRule

Postby OldGuysRule » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:17 pm

All quiet on the Rosewood showground ... Before the final party. Cyclists drinking at 2 pubs. Bikies holding a tattoo show at the third.

Max

Postby Max » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Geez what a hot day. I was cooked by the time we got to the lunch stop. A first aider (who also happens to be a friend of mine) spotted me and dragged me over to the first aid spot to pour cool water over my head and apply cold compresses to the back of my neck. I didn't realize how bad I felt until I started feeling better (if that makes sense). I decided to wait another hour or so for the worst of the heat to pass. I made it to camp just after 1400.

All in all, a decent day. Sad to see it all end with our last day tomorrow!

Max

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:23 pm

What a great week!

Four hundred k for me over 5 days. There were some totally great days... great riding and spectacular scenery.

The organisation was frankly astonishing. The people were diverse and friendly... just a great few days. I even took it easy today and talked to people. :)

I'm surprisingly well too... I seem to have survived which I was concerned about. We did push pretty hard but everything held together. I think I might go and have a lie down for a little bit though. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:02 pm

I went for a ride this morning and saw you guys coming through the area next to the Centenary Hwy.

Well done all

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Comedian wrote:I think I might go and have a lie down for a little bit though. :)
probably more the late nights and booze than the cycling hey Comedian. :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:20 pm

winstonw wrote:
Comedian wrote:I think I might go and have a lie down for a little bit though. :)
probably more the late nights and booze than the cycling hey Comedian. :)
Well... we didn't hit the booze that much. Mind you it doesn't take very much for me to be smashed though. About three-four schooners in any of the local pubs we visited and I found myself nearly unable to mount my trusty steed to ride the 500 metres back to the campsite (it was way too far to walk in my condition). :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Having said that you don't tend to sleep so well when you're camping... although I'm pretty used to it. We did go to bed quite early most nights... but the last two were both "last nights" as part of our team left early. Considering how far and fast we were riding I thought I was doing pretty well.

Let me comment on one interesting feature of CQ. Firstly - let me say I've done a lot of camping. However it's generally been in remote areas so should you need to find some relief during the night there is always a tree or the likes just near by. I attempted to replicate this on a few occasions but failed. I got up one night for a sneaky pee and was somewhat thwarted by the dozen or so other campers wandering who were also walking in a zombie like state too looking for a "sneaky pee" under the glow of the show ground lights. Not very discreet even by my standards so trudged off the 500m to the facilities only to return to my tent in a fine state of mental awakeness.....

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:49 pm

Max wrote:The weather is terrific! During the day, at least. Bloody cold at night!

Max
The cold nights ended when we crossed back into Queensland.
Before that the nights were too cold, after that the days were too hot.
All in all an exceptionally good way to spend a week.
The finishing ride from Rosewood to Jindalee was really quite good, but opinions are divided on which was the best full riding day.
You know it is cold when someone stops outside your tent at 6am to take photos of the ice on your bike !

the grid

Postby the grid » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Comedian wrote: Let me comment on one interesting feature of CQ. Firstly - let me say I've done a lot of camping. However it's generally been in remote areas so should you need to find some relief during the night there is always a tree or the likes just near by. I attempted to replicate this on a few occasions but failed. I got up one night for a sneaky pee and was somewhat thwarted by the dozen or so other campers wandering who were also walking in a zombie like state too looking for a "sneaky pee" under the glow of the show ground lights. Not very discreet even by my standards so trudged off the 500m to the facilities only to return to my tent in a fine state of mental awakeness.....
So that wasn't your puddle outside my tent....