Police request for Brisbane riders

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby Comedian » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:04 pm

That's crazy stuff. I'm with X. We should fine everyone in cars that cause traffic jams! :D
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4412
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

by BNA » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:45 pm

BNA
 

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:MB's have 3 different level/groups of riders - so should they be classed as 1 big group because they all have the same jersey on, or 3 separate groups? All 3 groups would not be riding in a big bunch at the same time.

I would hate to see a cyclist get fined just because they were overtaking the lifestyle MB group (or any other bunch ride), or riding too close to them and be considered to be part of their group - so we need to be careful about giving the police/motorists any fuel to use against groups of cyclists.

If we let the police limit the numbers in a group, we can expect that they will use the same guidelines/rules everywhere else in Queensland - as we cant pick and choose when and where such a rule should be enforced by the police.

Be careful what you wish for.............


Spot on. Solve one small problem by creating a bigger one? No thank you.

Dunno about Qld, but down this way you are allowed to be three wide if overtaking...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25798
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 pm

jet-ski wrote:PEOPLE!

you are asking drivers to go 5 minutes slower over 5km at 30kph as opposed to 70kph...

5 minutes!

why are you lobbying for some arbitrary rule about cyclist numbers for the sake of 5 minutes travel time for motorists who may get caught up behind a bunch?


It is only 5 minutes of driving time, but have you ever tried sitting at 30km/hr for what seems like an eternity ? You don't know it's only going to be 5 minutes either which would make it all the more frustrating. It would be like riding your bike on a shared path doing 10km/hr not knowing why there are 80 bike riders held up in front of you. Then when you finally get to pass there's 50 walkers just meandering all over the place.

Also once you do reach Samford Village there are so many cars continually pouring through the round about & down the main street it's mayhem. You end up with all sorts of flow on effects after the 5 minute hold up, like cars jammed end to end trying to enter the local shopping centre & anybody (cars & cyclists) trying to exit side streets or driveways then have to sit while 100 cars stream by.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
User avatar
ZepinAtor
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:46 pm
Location: Brizzzzbane Everton Hillzzzz

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby Oxford » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Dunno about Qld, but down this way you are allowed to be three wide if overtaking...

Yep 3 wide is fine while overtaking in QLD.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 5114
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby jet-ski » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:27 pm

Zepinator - worse than 30kmh - probably about 20, everytime I try to go visit my folks in Mandurah on a public holiday.... with no idea how long it goes for, and seeing the train zip past.

I just accept the fact and move on.

My point is that people just need to chill out. Autos do not have exclusive right to the road. Most often autos are the ones impeding other autos. Higher population density means more people using the roads, which means that you might get held up every now and again. It's a fact of life. It's no reason to suggest some ridiculous law restricting the size of groups of cyclists on the road.
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
User avatar
jet-ski
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby Dave R32 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:34 pm

I usually don't bother posting in threads like this but I will break with tradition:

1. Most of the roads listed are either 80 or 100kmh speed limits.
2. The roads in the Dayboro area are semi rural and don't have a shoulder or a bike lane and probably never will.
3. Riding two abreast on these roads may very well be legal but it is inconsiderate to other road users. The roads are rolling hills and most cyclists speed on the climbs would be around 20km/h which.

It doesn't matter whether you are riding your bike, driving your car or a truck or bus....in most cases being considerate of others will mean you arrive safely and less stressed.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K = Sold | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista
User avatar
Dave R32
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:12 pm
Location: North Lakes - Brisbane

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby Oxford » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Having ridden these roads quite a bit in the past on both MTBs and road bikes, in groups and solo, its my experience that when climbing the hills the group usually gets strung out, going down the hills results in regrouping before the next hill and so on. So two abreast is not an issue, driver impatience is. When riding in a road group typically on the flats we formed a paceline resulting in riders being abreast as they fell to the back of the group. Again driver impatience and ignorance is a key factor here. Its like red light syndrome, they just see a cyclist and their desire to pass the cyclist despite the consequences over rides good sense and highlights a complete lack of cognitive driving skill.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 5114
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby master6 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:20 am

Oxford wrote:Having ridden these roads quite a bit in the past on both MTBs and road bikes, in groups and solo, its my experience that when climbing the hills the group usually gets strung out, going down the hills results in regrouping before the next hill and so on. So two abreast is not an issue, driver impatience is. When riding in a road group typically on the flats we formed a paceline resulting in riders being abreast as they fell to the back of the group. Again driver impatience and ignorance is a key factor here. Its like red light syndrome, they just see a cyclist and their desire to pass the cyclist despite the consequences over rides good sense and highlights a complete lack of cognitive driving skill.


o X ford, I think the conversation is about an area where there are no red lights. As a cyclist, I observe more than a fair share of 'ignorance" amongst fellow cyclists. Motorists certainly have faults, but no more so than we cyclists.
If we want change, lets take the easy way first, and improve our own behaviour.
master6
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby Oxford » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:14 am

master6 wrote:
Oxford wrote:Having ridden these roads quite a bit in the past on both MTBs and road bikes, in groups and solo, its my experience that when climbing the hills the group usually gets strung out, going down the hills results in regrouping before the next hill and so on. So two abreast is not an issue, driver impatience is. When riding in a road group typically on the flats we formed a paceline resulting in riders being abreast as they fell to the back of the group. Again driver impatience and ignorance is a key factor here. Its like red light syndrome, they just see a cyclist and their desire to pass the cyclist despite the consequences over rides good sense and highlights a complete lack of cognitive driving skill.


o X ford, I think the conversation is about an area where there are no red lights. As a cyclist, I observe more than a fair share of 'ignorance" amongst fellow cyclists. Motorists certainly have faults, but no more so than we cyclists.
If we want change, lets take the easy way first, and improve our own behaviour.

I know the area has no red lights and if you read my post I did not say it did, I simply referred to a syndrome that occurs mostly around red lights. ie pass the cyclist no matter the situation even if there is a red light that they can see ahead.

just curious how do you justify the statement that cyclists have more faults than motorists, its an interesting statement to make so I am curious to how you came to this conclusion.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 5114
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby jet-ski » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:26 am

Dave - I don't take issue with the request to single-up to let cars overtake (hopefully this means the cars slow down and don't shave the cyclists as they go by), I take issue with the suggestion from some on this thread to legislate maximum cyclist numbers in a 'group'.

I also take issue with the sentiment from some here that bikes should let cars overtake no matter what the circumstances! At least in the Police letter they acknowledge that in some situations on the road it is not safe to ride on the extreme left.
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
User avatar
jet-ski
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby master6 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:50 am

Dave R32 wrote:I usually don't bother posting in threads like this but I will break with tradition:

1. Most of the roads listed are either 80 or 100kmh speed limits.
2. The roads in the Dayboro area are semi rural and don't have a shoulder or a bike lane and probably never will.
3. Riding two abreast on these roads may very well be legal but it is inconsiderate to other road users. The roads are rolling hills and most cyclists speed on the climbs would be around 20km/h which.

It doesn't matter whether you are riding your bike, driving your car or a truck or bus....in most cases being considerate of others will mean you arrive safely and less stressed.

Cheers
Dave.


We need more "Daves" on the road to improve our image
master6
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:31 pm

master6 wrote:
Dave R32 wrote:I usually don't bother posting in threads like this but I will break with tradition:

1. Most of the roads listed are either 80 or 100kmh speed limits.
2. The roads in the Dayboro area are semi rural and don't have a shoulder or a bike lane and probably never will.
3. Riding two abreast on these roads may very well be legal but it is inconsiderate to other road users. The roads are rolling hills and most cyclists speed on the climbs would be around 20km/h which.

It doesn't matter whether you are riding your bike, driving your car or a truck or bus....in most cases being considerate of others will mean you arrive safely and less stressed.

Cheers
Dave.


We need more "Daves" on the road to improve our image


Absolutely. I have a cautious respect for cars, trucks & buses, as they can KILL you being 10-50 times our weight. I'm totally at ease with a few inconveniences along the way to keep the peace & vehicle traffic flowing. Not so much for crutch rocket riders (motor bikes) as I feel they're almost one of us with a motor. Not that I'm saying they're perfect as I've had high speed shoulder to shoulder cornering experiences I'd rather forget. They generally just whizz by at 200km/hr & are over the next hill before I can say "was that a drugged up Contador on that bike".
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
User avatar
ZepinAtor
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:46 pm
Location: Brizzzzbane Everton Hillzzzz

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby elantra » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:12 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:I've copied this letter from a Brisbane cycling club HRRW in relation to cycling on roads around the Dayboro/ Samford/ Mt Mee areas.

The request sounds reasonable, but on any weekend you might see 200 + riders in a 3 hr period in groups up to 40. The roads are narrow at the best of times with only 100-200mm of tarmac inside the white line & to make matters worse it's a 100km/hr zone with the distinct sound of banjos echoing from the hills.


Image

The letter from Dayboro Police Officers is very thoughtfully constructed.
Obviously that it was adressed to HPRW club would suggest that they think HPRW riders are a bit out of line.
However information presented inn preceding posts would suggest that it is other groups such as the MB group that they need to be in contact with.

Perhaps representatives of HPRW club need to discuss with Police, but presumably this is already done.

And if there are concerns about MB's Peleton sizes then this is something that should be easy to adjust because i am under the impression their members sign-up to paticipate?
ie. their numbers are much more predictable than other groups.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
User avatar
elantra
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:01 am
Location: Trying to avoid the Brisbane traffic.

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby master6 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:24 pm

elantra wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:I've copied this letter from a Brisbane cycling club HRRW in relation to cycling on roads around the Dayboro/ Samford/ Mt Mee areas.

The request sounds reasonable, but on any weekend you might see 200 + riders in a 3 hr period in groups up to 40. The roads are narrow at the best of times with only 100-200mm of tarmac inside the white line & to make matters worse it's a 100km/hr zone with the distinct sound of banjos echoing from the hills.


Image

The letter from Dayboro Police Officers is very thoughtfully constructed.
Obviously that it was adressed to HPRW club would suggest that they think HPRW riders are a bit out of line.
However information presented inn preceding posts would suggest that it is other groups such as the MB group that they need to be in contact with.

Perhaps representatives of HPRW club need to discuss with Police, but presumably this is already done.

And if there are concerns about MB's Peleton sizes then this is something that should be easy to adjust because i am under the impression their members sign-up to paticipate?
ie. their numbers are much more predictable than other groups.

I see no evidence that this "letter" was addressed to HPRW.
An apology might be in order.
master6
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:41 pm

master6 wrote:
elantra wrote:I see no evidence that this "letter" was addressed to HPRW.
An apology might be in order.


I'll go & check where I originally copied it from on the RoadGrime forum in Brisbane, as Adam from HPRW bought it to every ones attention. I'm assuming the police sent it to the club for circulation purposes not blame.

OK this is what Adam posted.


"I've been asked to pass along this message from Dayboro Police regarding cycling in the area. I think it's quite reasonable".
Last edited by ZepinAtor on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
User avatar
ZepinAtor
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:46 pm
Location: Brizzzzbane Everton Hillzzzz

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby master6 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:57 pm

Until advice to the contrary, it seems that the statement by Elantra suggesting that the Police communication was addressed to HPRW should be ignored. It appears to have been addressed to "Cyclists". HPRW might well have a copy, as might many other people and/or organisations.

Perhaps I am nit picking here, and whilst I have never been a member of HPRW, I do have high respect for the HPRW club, and feel it unfair to malign them in any way.
master6
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby Oxford » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:50 pm

to date, the Dirt Dogs AKA North Brisbane MTB Club have not received anything, then again maybe they only targeted road clubs. just as well MTB riders do not ride on the road after all. :roll:
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 5114
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby leighthebee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:59 am

We've been snagged in an MB Cycles rolling roadblock previously. Too many varied abilities and nowhere near organised enough.

I heard (so yes hearsay) that one organiser actually pulled up in-front of traffic from the right at a roundabout to herd all the riders through.

The little experience I've had with encountering them so far has not been positive.
User avatar
leighthebee
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:21 am

A couple of articles that have appeared in the local free paper this week about this issue:

http://www.thewesterner.com.au/pages/blogs.aspx?ID=3674

http://www.thewesterner.com.au/pages/blogs.aspx?ID=3675
Drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby Oxford » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm wondering how the police are going with their driver education program? the letter did say they were going to do that didn't it? have they contacted RACQ so that RACQ can send something around to its members in the area? sort of like sending the letter to cycle clubs but send to the auto club to forward to members.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 5114
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby Christine Tham » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Thread locked until further notice.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Police request for Brisbane riders

Postby Boognoss » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:18 pm

After mod discussion and numerous posts were reported, they were removed including quoted posts. Play nice or the thread will either be permanently locked :roll: .
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5796
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Previous

Return to Queensland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit