Toowong Roundabout Cyclist Crossing

Postby beauyboy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:26 pm

As part of the State Governments commitment to cycling the state Government has finally called tenders for the Toowong Roundabout Cyclist Crossing. The crossing will allow cyclist to access Mt Coot-tha and Mt Coot-tha Botantical Gardens avioding the dangerous Toowong Roundabout.

For full info see link
www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/web/publicCR.n ... enDocument

The link is set to be completed by mid 2008 so lets say late 2008

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

by BNA » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:54 pm

BNA

Postby ggundersen » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:54 pm

nice
ggundersen

Postby mich rolling » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:01 pm

Don't get too carried away.

The Toowong cyclist crossing was supposed to be tendered for in September and construction to start in November.

A check of the Qld government tender site shows no record (that I could see) of tenders having been offered, put under consideration, accepted or completed regarding bridges at Toowong.

Look for projectservices on the Qld gov website.

If the tender has been let and accepted can someone advise on the Tender Number / Date?
mich rolling

Postby mich rolling » Tue May 06, 2008 11:50 pm

How is Andy Fraser getting on with building the Toowong Roundabout bicycle bridge? After a year of slippage we have a revised construction schedule on the newsletter (sneaky!).

Anyway, has shovel hit the shale yet?

Key milestones

November/December 2006: initial communication and consultation on two possible options (bridge or tunnel)
December 2006/January 2007: preliminary design of preferred option
May/June 2007: round 2 consultation on preferred design details
May 2008: construction start
Late 2008: completion
mich rolling

Postby beauyboy » Wed May 07, 2008 8:20 am

Yes I know. It is starting to drive me mad that the construction has not started yet. The main problem is weather or not the northern link may require the removal of the cycle link.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby Womble » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Went passed there yesterday and there were trees being cut down and what looked like a road for machinery being dug. Hopefully that is the start of construction. It is meant to be finished by December (weather permitting ??)
Merida 903 Road Lite 18
Mongoose Crossway 225 Hybrid
Womble

Postby beauyboy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:32 pm

Personally I am getting sick of waiting for the dam thing, then there is the Northern Link tunnel which is going to distroy the Toowong crossing or distroy the western Freeway bikeway for a long time :x . I am not a happy chappy I just want the dam thing built.
As for Northern Link again another of Newmans Roads delivering people from one congested road to another.

Donald
beauyboy

Postby winona_rider » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:17 pm

i've done two climbs up mt cooot-tha since i got back from OS and both times approached the mountain from dean st and for the first time ever, both times i've been able to get across the freeway approach without having to wait or unclip. i feel i should buy a lottery ticket.
winona_rider

Postby beauyboy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:53 pm

Might as well remember everyone of the up and coming Overpass.
I am serously looking forward to when it does open.
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Pr ... n_crossing

Donald
beauyboy

Postby mich rolling » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:09 pm

http://www.bikeqld.org.au/pipermail/bik ... 05954.html
http://westside-news.whereilive.com.au/ ... -blow-out/

The Queensland Transport Toowong bridge page ( http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resourc ... s_2008.pdf ) has not been updated since construction started in July.

More recent information is contained in the West-side News link above - project is running late and over budget.

Had a talk to the Botanic Gardens today about bicycle parking following on from a discussion on BikeQld. Seems the Gardens has a toast rack near the Planetarium (breaks rules: wheel bender rack, out of sight of most pedestrian traffic). Given the financial position of the Gardens I would not expect bicycle parking more in line with recommended standards in the near future.

Now for that bicycle & pedestrian direct link between the Normandy Five Ways and the Kelvin Grove new industries precinct! Comments closed yesterday but the EIS basically said that peds and cyclists not wanting a 400m detour ( on a 500m direct route) can get stuffed - all the money is going on pouring cars through the tunnel as fast as possible.

This is the same attitude the Brisbane City Council has take with the North-South Bypass Tunnel - (why would bikes want to get past the tunnel portal and on into the city?).
mich rolling

Postby Max » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:53 am

Well, I for one am looking forward to the Toowong bridge. I pass it every day, and there's always a little sense of anticipation when I see more of the bridge being installed. It might be late, it might be over budget, but it will be finished eventually. I can't wait!

:)
Max
Max

Postby beauyboy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:49 am

EVENTUALLY is the word.

oh well better late then never.

Donald
beauyboy

toowong western freeway overpass

Postby elantra » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:07 am

:D Against my better judgement did go out for a soggy ride this morning with dog. The disobedient mut did venture accross the new overpass and reports that it is a very impressive structure and is virtually complete but for the bikeway connection on the east (Toowong) side.
He even christened it with some dog piss :?
On the strength of his report it might be finished in another week or 2.
When i went around to the toowong end to confirm his report there was indeed an incomplete section in the accessway concrete ramp that not even the most acrobatic MTB rider or canine would be able to negotiate
elantra

Postby beauyboy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Do thank your dog for doing such a good update

Donald
beauyboy

Postby winona_rider » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:01 pm

excited!
winona_rider

Postby elantra » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:58 am

:D Concrete pour on the toowong ramp this morning ?? last concrete work before completion i hope.
Have seen a few people using the bridge in the last few days, obviously not while work is in progress
One person on the bridge was a chinese tourist, who had to walk back from the top of Mt Coot-tha after missing the last council bus for the day :(
elantra

Postby beauyboy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:45 pm

Now all we need is the opening date to be announced. With the election called lets hope it is within the month.

Thanks for the update

Donald
beauyboy

Postby elantra » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:50 pm

Bit of an update on the big project. :?
All the concreting was completed a few days ago, now it is just titivating and landscaping which is delaying the great unveiling.
Some cyclists have been using the bridge but not this morning, for the first time in ages there were big traffic barriers across the access ramp.
Really this strategy is hard to accept while i witnessed dozens of early morning cyclists risking life and limb to "negotiate" the major intersections that are bypassed by this bridge.
I could understand why access to the bridge might be barred while there are guys actually working on it but at 6.30 am before anything "happens" on the site why deny access to the bridge?
elantra (and danny-dog his not-so-trusty offsider)
elantra

Postby Max » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:45 am

elantra wrote:I could understand why access to the bridge might be barred while there are guys actually working on it but at 6.30 am before anything "happens" on the site why deny access to the bridge?

Because all it takes is one careless rider to have a stack on a part of the bridge that's not 100% complete, and suddenly the council/main roads becomes liable because they didn't block it off. Patience, young Grasshopper! It'll be open soon enough :)

Max
Max

Postby Womble » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:13 am

From Roadgrime

THis email just in

I am glad to inform you that the overpass is scheduled to be open this weekend (7 March), weather permitting.

Yours sincerely,

Toowong Roundabout Overpass Project Team

Great news opens a hillier commuter option from Toowong to Bardon for me.

They are not very trusting of the weather forecasters though.
No mention of a grand opening either would have thought Anna Bligh could get out there with her hard hat. :D
Merida 903 Road Lite 18
Mongoose Crossway 225 Hybrid
Womble

Postby winona_rider » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:24 am

PARTY!
winona_rider

Postby mich rolling » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:03 pm

Great news.

I hope it gets some publicity.

The Borg will go ape about how cycling is for recreation so why spend money on it, Anna will commit to healthy and pleasant cities and CanDo will declare the tunnel portal zone a bike-free area.
mich rolling

Postby dawso » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:20 pm

Nothing like a Pollie in a hard hat to make the public cringe.

Nevertheless can't wait for the opening, having made the trip up there only twice so far I can already appreciate what a lot of Brisbane cyclists wish to avoid, the HR gets high enough on the climb itself without having to play amongst the traffic on the way.

Now all that remains is to wait for the first announcement of massive cycling infrastructure funding from each Party. It's nice to dream...
dawso

Postby Max » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:52 am

According to a roadside sign I saw on the way home last night... IT'S OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone had a ride on it yet? Was it worth the wait?

Max
Max

Postby BrisBoy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:14 pm

I saw that too! Must roll over it this avo :D
BrisBoy

Next

Return to Queensland