Brissie to the Bay 2011

heay

Re: Brissie to the Bay 2011

Postby heay » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:04 am

I swear some of you on here hate hills. I love them being only 69kg in weight so I flew up everyone of them with ease.... :D

The witches hat section was dangerous, too narrow and a lot of riders whom did not understand not to sit right on the wheel of the pesron in front of them on sections like that causes problems. As for the people whom don't know how to climb a hill stay to the left pick a gear and get out of my way... :evil:

Overall it was a great ride, could not have asked for a better morning to go for a ride and for next year put some more hills in it.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:24 pm

term wrote:I'm not bothered at all by hills but we seemed to be going out of our way to go up every hill on the southside
this sounds pretty hilarious.

I slept in an went for an afternoon ride out to redcliffe instead :P

the grid

Postby the grid » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Really enjoyed the 50k with a good mate. Saw a few stacks and punctures on Lytton road and actually enjoyed those back streets at the end...punishment for not riding enough this year! :P

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Actually, I thought there were a lot of punctures. Maybe due to the overnight drizzle.
My 2000km old ultra gators were fine though. :)

Next year, I'll aim to get away in the first group, draft a cohesive group, and average above 30kph....if it's raining, I'll walk the dog instead.

stats

Postby stats » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:39 pm

winstonw wrote:Actually, I thought there were a lot of punctures. Maybe due to the overnight drizzle.

Next year, I'll aim to get away in the first group, draft a cohesive group, and average above 30kph....if it's raining, I'll walk the dog instead.
I though most of the punctures were mountain bikers. :o

I got into a good group around Hawthorne and finished with them and best time was doing that final hill......thought the idea of putting up a final challenge (hill) just before the finish made the whole ride more memorable :wink:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:58 pm

stats wrote:
winstonw wrote:Actually, I thought there were a lot of punctures. Maybe due to the overnight drizzle.

I though most of the punctures were mountain bikers. :o

I got into a good group around Hawthorne and finished with them and best time was doing that final hill......thought the idea of putting up a final challenge (hill) just before the finish made the whole ride more memorable :wink:
Problem was all the rubbish on the unswept roads. A bit of steel belt got me :(

Was there a hill at the end? I was having too much fun overtaking people to notice... they just started coming at me quicker :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Phill_B_34

Postby Phill_B_34 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:17 pm

Comedian wrote: Problem was all the rubbish on the unswept roads. A bit of steel belt got me :(
It was obviously too hard for BCC to get on board and run a street cleaner over the course the night before. Coming down Bennetts Rd was interesting if you strayed too far to the left into what could only be described as a gravel trap.

All in all we had a good ride, my better half's first group ride (we only did the 25km), a couple of idiots cutting up her inside didn't impress her much but she'll be back to do it again, hopefully the 50km for her next year.
Phill B

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:16 pm

I just went down to get the bike for tomorrow - another flat. Found a pretty big hole in the back tyre too. I don't think that was the puncture. I'll ride it tomorrow but i think I'll bin it tomorrow night. That was a good 600k out of that tyre. :(

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:55 am

Comedian wrote:I just went down to get the bike for tomorrow - another flat. Found a pretty big hole in the back tyre too. I don't think that was the puncture. I'll ride it tomorrow but i think I'll bin it tomorrow night. That was a good 600k out of that tyre. :(
I stayed well out of the gutter lane - too much debris there and I suspect this was the cause of most of the flats. I passed a LOT of people with what I presume were flats.

No flats for me and I had 50% more tyres on the road than most of you lot! ;)

Pressures still good.
(2x Schwalbe Kojaks, 1x Schwalbe Marathon Racer)
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:45 am

Phill_B_34 wrote:
Comedian wrote: Problem was all the rubbish on the unswept roads. A bit of steel belt got me :(
It was obviously too hard for BCC to get on board and run a street cleaner over the course the night before.
Bit unfair to blame them - do we even know if the organisers asked them to help? And it would have to include MBRC as well because the ride crosses shires. I didn't think the roads were bad at all...I certainly have seen more glass/metal on my usual weekend rides.

licensed

Postby licensed » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:03 am

you mean redlands city council, not mbrc, right?

Comedian

Brissie to the Bay 2011

Postby Comedian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:22 am

nitramluap wrote:
Comedian wrote:I just went down to get the bike for tomorrow - another flat. Found a pretty big hole in the back tyre too. I don't think that was the puncture. I'll ride it tomorrow but i think I'll bin it tomorrow night. That was a good 600k out of that tyre. :(
I stayed well out of the gutter lane - too much debris there and I suspect this was the cause of most of the flats. I passed a LOT of people with what I presume were flats.

No flats for me and I had 50% more tyres on the road than most of you lot! ;)

Pressures still good.
(2x Schwalbe Kojaks, 1x Schwalbe Marathon Racer)
I reckon the lower loading per tyre is helping you. The bike and person weight Is probably similar but you've got an extra tyre to carry it :).

stats

Postby stats » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:41 pm

Michelin Pro3's got me around but I didn't travel anywhere near the gutters, maybe the 100k group had the rougher course.

I am thinking about doing the 100k ride to the coast in Sept after having such a good time on this ride :D

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:30 pm

stats wrote:Michelin Pro3's got me around but I didn't travel anywhere near the gutters, maybe the 100k group had the rougher course.

I am thinking about doing the 100k ride to the coast in Sept after having such a good time on this ride :D
Yeah, I think the key was staying away from the gutter as that's where all the rubbish ends up by default. I'll be posting a YouTube clip of my ride shortly - it's about 27 minutes long! (had 3 hours of footage to cut from though) :oops:

ezzy

Postby ezzy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 pm

heay wrote:I swear some of you on here hate hills. I love them being only 69kg in weight so I flew up everyone of them with ease.... :D

The witches hat section was dangerous, too narrow and a lot of riders whom did not understand not to sit right on the wheel of the pesron in front of them on sections like that causes problems. As for the people whom don't know how to climb a hill stay to the left pick a gear and get out of my way... :evil:

Overall it was a great ride, could not have asked for a better morning to go for a ride and for next year put some more hills in it.
Pfffft...some mothers just do have 'em

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Here is my little movie from the day. It might be better to watch it full screen in HD. :)

pumapants

Postby pumapants » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Great video nitramluap, I remember you flying past me and I think I saw a fleeting glimpse on the video of it :D.
Trek Domane 5.2

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Nitramluap,

Thanks for the video that is awesome.....what camera do you use? What was your time for the day? You are just flying past everyone .....holy smoke.
Good work
D

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:30 am

Good fun to watch. How many witch's hats did you knock over ? :D

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:13 am

Le Velo wrote:Nitramluap,

Thanks for the video that is awesome.....what camera do you use? What was your time for the day? You are just flying past everyone .....holy smoke.
Good work
D
Thanks.

It's a little GoPro Hero HD mounted with a stick on mount (hopefully it will come off eventually!).

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:14 am

winstonw wrote:Good fun to watch. How many witch's hats did you knock over ? :D

With the Mango? None, although I came very, very close!
With my hands? One :D (it was right in the path of cyclists so I knocked it off the road)

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:16 am

Le Velo wrote:Nitramluap,

Good work
D
BTW, you username reminded me of this: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:16 am

pumapants wrote:Great video nitramluap, I remember you flying past me and I think I saw a fleeting glimpse on the video of it :D.
So it was YOU that emptied your nose in front of me! Just kidding :) :wink:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:55 am

Hey Nitra, judging by the video, I thought you would have had a faster av speed than 30.6kph?
Whuch group did you start with?

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:03 am

winstonw wrote:Hey Nitra, judging by the video, I thought you would have had a faster av speed than 30.6kph?
Whuch group did you start with?
My actual average moving speed for the 100km was 32km/h according to my cycle computer. I stopped at quite a few red lights (probably about 10min in total) and with the medical stop my total time was 3:46. I started in one of the first groups I think and I didn't stop at the rest stops.

Going up some of the steeper hills, particularly near the end, was very hard work and quite slow in my 30kg velomobile! I didn't stop though ;)

My cycle computer (& onboard GPS) distance read 99.7km but others have reported only doing 94km... strange.