Cycling in Mackay

Cycling in Mackay

Postby silkishuge » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:22 am

I might be heading up to Mackay in about a month or two for work and I was wondering if there are any other cyclist on BNE in the area. Are there any nice rides around the area and what is the traffic situation like. I might be up there for a month.

Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5

by BNA » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Cycling in Mackay

Postby munga » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:38 pm

i used to live in mackay about 20 years ago - be nice to see some photos if you get the chance to get about.

Postby buster » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:26 pm

There's quite a few organised road rides in Mackay The best point of contact is probably Corry Cycles.

Check on their home page for a link to Mackay Cycling Club and there's a link there to the Sunday morning race scedule (if your game).

If you're into Mountain biking there is an excelent track at Rowallan Park on the northside of Mackay.

Postby russellgarrard » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Give the 'special' shorts Corry Cycles have for $15 a miss...feels like I had a t**d in my pants and very uncomfortable...they flogged them to me at the mooloolaba tri-athlon...

I imagine it'd be a VERY nice place to go for a ride though! Lucky bugger...

Postby Puffy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:11 pm

Traffic? There is no traffic! I used to commute to the city in bris, compared, these people are angels.

Postby xcgumby » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Dunno about angels... The place is full of uber-bogans with V8 utes that drive like the tools that they are..... The Habana loop is okay... But a lot of decent rides (length-wise) require a trip along the highway. Coming into Mackay from the north on the Bruce from the Leap isn't too bad a run though. The highway out to Nebo is okay too but rougher.

Try climbing the Eungella Range or Black Mtn if you're a little unhinged that way.

Return to Queensland