Crash at kangaroo Point

Crash at kangaroo Point

Postby Zynster » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:08 pm

I was riding along the bike path at the bottom of the Kangaroo point cliffs. Going pretty slow as it's a shared path and there's plenty of peds. I couldn't believe how fast people were riding. I kept getting passed by riders doing a hell pace. I was just thinking that someone is going to have a accident when one happened right in front of me. A dog ran in front of a guy on a roady and smash. Snapped his forks clean off. Looks like he did a collar bone as well. No sign of the dog.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross
Zynster

by BNA » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:33 pm

BNA

Re: Crash at kangaroo Point

Postby Oxford » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:33 pm

that strip of path way is dangerous. its narrow, its confusing with pedestrians using it inappropriately, riders riding too fast, the the section where the climbers are often wandering on the path way. I'm not surprised you saw what you saw, I am surprised it doesn't happen more often though.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby laager » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Last edited by laager on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laager

Postby Crawf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:13 am

Definitely a terrible path, have had a head on with another cyclist who was cutting the corner on my side of the path near that outdoor marquee.
Have also nearly knocked a toddler over (my pedal swiped the front of his shirt!) when he strolled straight out of that car park onto the bike path towards the river while his parents where oblivious to him legging it. That scared the crap outta me and could have seriously nearly killed him.
Really gotta take it easy through there.
Crawf

Postby Zynster » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Zynster

Postby nayfen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:48 pm

That crash looks decent. Hope all parties are uninjured.

Watch out for rock climbers taking videos and photos of other climbers on the bike path side of the rail. While they are looking through the lenses upwards, oblivious to everything else, they often walk right in front of cyclists. After a few close calls around there I ride with one hand on my bell and ring it regularly. I rather people think "what a twat ringing the bell too much." Than "What a twat running into that pedestrian."
nayfen

Postby Zynster » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Oh he was injured. Hard to tell but it was either collar bone, ribs or upper arm. He hadn't gotten up when I left. A passing lady turned out to be a doctor and was treating him.
Zynster

Postby nitramluap » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:23 pm

Zynster wrote:I was riding along the bike path at the bottom of the Kangaroo point cliffs. Going pretty slow as it's a shared path and there's plenty of peds. I couldn't believe how fast people were riding. I kept getting passed by riders doing a hell pace. I was just thinking that someone is going to have a accident when one happened right in front of me. A dog ran in front of a guy on a roady and smash. Snapped his forks clean off. Looks like he did a collar bone as well. No sign of the dog.

I'm glad the dog & he are both fine but *really*... what the hell is he doing going so damn fast along there (assuming he was - you didn't explicitly say he was one of the fast ones)? It's a rubbish pathway with many blind corners and it is far too narrow to be a footpath, let alone a shared path. This is only time I'll mention the h-word but he'll probably be another member of the 'a helmet saved my life' brigade now too I suspect - sigh. Most people wouldn't have put themselves in that position in the first place as they know it is a crowded area. Cycling is very safe - some cyclists choose to make it dangerous and it reflects badly on us all.

This sort of accident highlights why many of the bikeways, particularly the shared paths, are inadequate. I don't think cyclists should be forced to ride on the road if they don't want to but we need better cycleways so this sort of thing doesn't happen. Bidirectional cycleways (non-shared) should be at least 3m wide to be safe. I dislike *poor* cycle infrastructure. Problem is, some people can't see the distinction and just dislike *any* cycle infrastructure.
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D
nitramluap

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Having been very nearly wiped out (would have been a square on hit) by some fool crossing over the centre line of the Goodwill Bridge last night doing close to 30kmh and weaving erratically around slower traffic, a bit of attrition in the commuter wars brigade serves them right. As it was he ONLY just got back across in his line - I'm amazed his rhs brake hoods didn't catch the strap of the backpack slung over my right shoulder - and I was in the middle of my path, so this wasn't a case of just over the line.

We advocate strongly here to ride to the conditions, but shower sympathy upon some fool who thinks it's OK to ride full click through a well known shared zone.

I'm sorry to sound harsh, and I'm glad he's only injured and not dead, but I hope he - and perhaps others - might learn a lesson or two.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Postby Zynster » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:31 pm

I didn't see him before the crash, so I couldn't say what speed he was doing. However, take a look at those forks. He had to be doing a fair kip to snap them clean off like that. Now I thought I was doing a sensible speed. If a dog ran out in front of me I would likely have been able to stop. Nearly every other bike on the path was going much faster, some insanely fast for the conditions. It was 5pm on a week day, so very busy with both bikes and peds. Madness. I'll be picking another route in future.
Zynster

Postby nitramluap » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:58 pm

uncle arthur wrote:I'm sorry to sound harsh, and I'm glad he's only injured and not dead, but I hope he - and perhaps others - might learn a lesson or two.

I don't think it's harsh at all. If the bridge is empty, fair enough, but if it is crowded, slow down. I really find it frustrating that people aim for personal best times when their route involves shared areas, traffic lights and so on... :roll:
nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Zynster wrote:If a dog ran out in front of me I would likely have been able to stop.

Me too, no matter which bike I'm riding - old dutch bike, road bike or velomobile. I ride to my vision and then slow down a little more...

Zynster wrote:I'll be picking another route in future.

Don't do that! We need more civilised cyclists to dominate the bikeways and shared paths, showing courtesy & respect to pedestrians, cyclists... and dogs! :)
nitramluap

Postby nayfen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:16 pm

I also nearly coat hangered some clown a few weeks ago on the corro drive path outbound. I was riding and at oxley's I moved towards the center line of cycle path at about 30-40m before douglas st ramp i indicated right with my arm extended. I kept my arm out as i continued to approched the next exit and slowed to a stop while i waited for oncomming cyclists and peds to clear. as i waited, elite w@nk3r powers past on the right at 30km/h+ and knocks my extended arm nearly off my shoulder and ploughs right through the middle of oncomming traffic. He was riding so fast that he couldn't stop or even slow. My arm was extedded for a conciderable amount of time so it's not like i pulled some stealth ninja move on him. It wasn't until he copped a face full of my forearm that he even realised there was other people on the pathway.

maybe we could startup a weekly award for the most stupid behavior on a bikepath?
nayfen

Postby laager » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Last edited by laager on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laager

Re:

Postby Zynster » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:40 pm

laager wrote:I can't remember the last time I was below 20km/h along any of the stretch on Kangaroo Point. :?

^
Darwin Award waiting to happen. :roll:
Zynster

Postby laager » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:49 pm

laager

Postby nitramluap » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:52 pm

nayfen wrote: as i waited, elite w@nk3r powers past on the right at 30km/h+ and knocks my extended arm nearly off my shoulder and ploughs right through the middle of oncomming traffic. He was riding so fast that he couldn't stop or even slow. My arm was extedded for a conciderable amount of time so it's not like i pulled some stealth ninja move on him. It wasn't until he copped a face full of my forearm that he even realised there was other people on the pathway.

maybe we could startup a weekly award for the most stupid behavior on a bikepath?

You're lucky he didn't break your arm. Nasty... and could have been much, much worse.
nitramluap

Postby dfc. » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:08 am

Typical, serves him right if he was speeding, man those forks are bad :shock:

Hope the dog is allright
Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!
dfc.

Re:

Postby nitramluap » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:16 am

laager wrote:
Zynster wrote:Darwin Award waiting to happen.
Try going slower and see how long you stay upright with all the bike traffic taking your head off. There's a middle ground to be found and under 20km/h is asking for trouble down there.

So pedestrians are asking for trouble for walking slower than 20km/h? I cycle through there at about 15km/h and that gives the ability to avoid any conflict - bike, pedestrian or otherwise.

Suggesting that you shouldn't go slower than 20km/h is crazy. The actual enemy here is the *crap infrastructure*! Both pedestrians and bicycle riders should band together and demand better facilities. If the facilities were decent you could cycle safely at 10km/h or 30km/h and nobody would be at risk...

This reminds me of an altercation I had with a fellow pedestrian when the footpath was too narrow for both of us to pass on foot. I suggested that their anger should be directed at council for providing rubbish footpaths, rather than other pedestrians! The more people that write to council and complain, the more they will HAVE to listen. Get letter writing folks! :)
nitramluap

Postby laager » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:04 am

laager

Re:

Postby nitramluap » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:08 am

laager wrote: It's only a question of whether as a cyclist you want the problems to be from the front or both front and rear. I prefer front.

I have a mirror on all my bikes so I never have conflicts... even with those that fly up from behind with no warning, missing me by inches. I already saw it coming.

My wife almost had her hand broken as a pedestrian by such a manoeuvre by a fast cyclist on the shared section of the Bicentennial Bikeway. There was plenty of space yet this clown clipped her hand and knocked her over... didn't even bother to turn around, let alone stop.

I was being facetious but I'll say it again - the problem is the infrastructure. Cyclists should be able to ride at all sorts of speeds without conflict with each other or pedestrians. If there is a problem with conflict between differing speeds (whether that be pedestrian-cyclist-car) then there is inadequate space provided!
nitramluap

Postby goneriding » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:32 am

When I was living in Bris, I used to go along there as part of an extended Loop. Never liked it! Too narrow, too obscured, slippery, peds, dogs. Best to avoid it, if possible.

Coro Dr shared path was another place I wasn't a big fan of although have to admit guilt at exceeding the recommended speed limit! I actually preferred being on Coro Dr itself. Being called a w*****, or whatever it was people were saying doesn't really bother me and we were able to sit on 40+ kph all the way to the lights at Toowong.
goneriding

Postby nitramluap » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:52 am

goneriding wrote:When I was living in Bris, I used to go along there as part of an extended Loop. Never liked it! Too narrow, too obscured, slippery, peds, dogs. Best to avoid it, if possible.

Coro Dr shared path was another place I wasn't a big fan of although have to admit guilt at exceeding the recommended speed limit! I actually preferred being on Coro Dr itself. Being called a w*****, or whatever it was people were saying doesn't really bother me and we were able to sit on 40+ kph all the way to the lights at Toowong.

The new sections of bikeway are great now though. They are smoother than the road (with its metal access covers, uneven surface & potholes). Problem is they are disconnected. Once you get to the Regatta you really need to get onto the road if you want to cycle at a decent pace. The section of path up to Toowong Village is rubbish.

We also need a decent connection between the Bicentennial Bikeway & the Centennial Bikeway - removing parked cars on Sylvan road and making a nice wide separated lane would be a good idea.
nitramluap

Re: Re:

Postby Drunkmonkey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:12 am

Zynster wrote:
laager wrote:I can't remember the last time I was below 20km/h along any of the stretch on Kangaroo Point. :?

^
Darwin Award waiting to happen. :roll:

If you aren't part of the solution, then you are part of the problem :roll:
Drunkmonkey

Postby laager » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:14 pm

laager

Next

Return to Queensland