Thousands of cyclists breaking road rules in Queensland

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:09 pm

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6038072657

Usual rhetoric from the peanut gallery too (viewer comments) 108 comments at last count

FRUSTRATED: Jimmy Seear says those who don't obey rules are giving all cyclists a bad name. Picture: Mark Calleja Source: The Courier-Mail

BADLY behaved cyclists are flouting Queensland's road rules in their thousands.

New figures obtained by The Courier-Mail show last year more than 6000 cyclists were booked by police for failing to wear a helmet alone, while hundreds of others were nabbed for pedalling through red traffic lights and even for riding a bike while using a mobile phone.

Almost 200 tickets were handed out to cyclists who shot red lights and 89 to riders who ignored stop signs.

The figures come as a cyclist was pulled over after swerving all over a busy road and blew .304. he has been charged with drink-driving.

Triathlete Jimmy Seear, who cycles about 500km a week, said a small few were ruining the reputation of cyclists who did the right thing on the state's roads.

"I ride with a group who obey the road rules but we get abused by cars basically just because we are cyclists, not because we've done anything wrong," he said.

"People who ride bikes and who don't obey the road rules are just giving all cyclists a bad name."

The majority of bike riders do the right thing, acting Chief Superintendent Bob Gee said.

He said cyclists had to protect themselves by taking basic safety precautions.

"You've got to wear a helmet, you've got to be visible particularly at night use hand signals, avoid being a hazard for both drivers and pedestrians, and you have to keep at least 2m away from the rear of vehicles," he said.

Princess Alexandra Hospital director of surgery Daryl Wall said on average at least one cyclist a day was admitted to the emergency department with serious injuries. He said older cyclists and elite athletes were the most common.

"More and more people are taking up cycling as part of a shift in our lifestyle and a move to more active forms of transport, which we applaud," Dr Wall said.

"But, of course, it brings about increased exposure to injury and even death."

Cyclists behaving badly
2010 stats on infringements against cyclists from police:

Fail to wear a helmet – 6429

Fail to stop at red traffic light – 198

Ride a bike with no brakes, bell – 174

Ride a bike at night with no lights – 140

Riding a bike while using a mobile phone – 96

Failing to stop at stop sign – 89

Ross

by BNA » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:38 pm

BNA

Re: Thousands of cyclists breaking road rules in Queensland

Postby Oxford » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:38 pm

What hope have we got when the police do not even know the laws:
Chief Superintendent Bob Gee said not wrote:"You've got to wear a helmet, you've got to be visible particularly at night use hand signals, avoid being a hazard for both drivers and pedestrians, and you have to keep at least 2m away from the rear of vehicles," he said.
He needs to acquaint himself with Traffic Regulation 255. You can be within 2m for up to 200m.
I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
Oxford

Postby jet-ski » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Those are incredibly small numbers! The helmet one is by far the biggest number - and it's the most contraversial of all the rules!

Would like to see what the total is for motorists booked for those offenses over the same period ;)
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
jet-ski

Postby The Womble » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Oxford wrote:What hope have we got when the police do not even know the laws:
Chief Superintendent Bob Gee said not wrote:"You've got to wear a helmet, you've got to be visible particularly at night use hand signals, avoid being a hazard for both drivers and pedestrians, and you have to keep at least 2m away from the rear of vehicles," he said.
He needs to acquaint himself with Traffic Regulation 255. You can be within 2m for up to 200m.

Absolute bunch of idiots is our Government and associated authorities :?
This response to Tabled e-petition 1504-10 - Minimum Safe Passing Distance Between Motorists and Cyclists - from the (recently) former Transport Minister Rachel Nolan:

"The introduction of a specific rule to restrict vehicles to keeping one metre from cyclists would be, in many cases, detrimental to cyclists. The safe distance between a cyclist and a vehicle varies considerably depending on the speed the vehicles are travelling.
For example, where a vehicle is travelling at 100km/h a distance of one metre is dangerously close, but at very low speeds distances of less than one meter may be safe. To provide a law making a one metre distance mandatory would make it illegal for cyclists to move slowly and closely past queued vehicles."

From the head of Queenslands own Transport Department who claims to be an avid cyclist (as opposed to a vote grabbing pollie with a Malvern Star)

May as well have said "2 meters/2 centemeters... Meh, it's all the same to us. Well fine you for whatever we feel like"
The Womble

Postby The Womble » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:41 pm

To avoid the inevitable slanging from a couple of the local twirps, I'll re-quote the Minister:
"For example, where a vehicle is travelling at 100km/h a distance of one metre is dangerously close, but at very low speeds distances of less than one meter may be safe."
Very low speeds of what? Between 0-99kph maybe? Less than 1 meter at any speed is unsafe. I remember Micheal Palin running someone over with a steam roller in a movie and theyre very not fast
Last edited by The Womble on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Womble

Postby The Womble » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:48 pm

meanwhile, 'ol Jimmy poses for a photo for the story whilst parking his bike in the gutter. Sucks to be the other cyclist in the pic for having to swerve to avoid him while he blags on about the bad eggs I guess. He makes a valid point before having that happy snap taken, and although I haven't read the standard CM Neanderthall replies to another anti cycling chip wrapper yet, there must be at least one Bogan who's picked up on it :roll:
The Womble

Postby lethoso » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:17 pm

meh, only a few hundred real offenses in there.
lethoso

Postby elantra » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:00 pm

The Womble wrote:meanwhile, 'ol Jimmy poses for a photo for the story whilst parking his bike in the gutter. Sucks to be the other cyclist in the pic for having to swerve to avoid him while he blags on about the bad eggs I guess. He makes a valid point before having that happy snap taken, and although I haven't read the standard CM Neanderthall replies to another anti cycling chip wrapper yet, there must be at least one Bogan who's picked up on it :roll:

Worry not Mr Womble, the story is just a bit of a fill in.
Be thankful for what it it really indicates,
Prob yesterday was a really lean day for real news, or too many journos on sick leave that day.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby Oxford » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:03 am

A member on another cycling forum I visit has some interesting information, which I know is accurate. Here 'tis.

Over the period of these figures where 7,679 TINs were issued to cyclists, 1,115,346 were issued in total, yes less than 0.7% were for cycling related matters.

Unaccompanied learner 12,829

Mobile Phone Offence 33,013

Uninsured vehicle (no compulsory 3rd party) 15,521

Disobey red light (including red light cameras) 26,993

More evidence that Spam Fail is biased?
Oxford

Postby uncle arthur » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:33 am

Actually - the other cyclist in the picture is his sister, and she and he both ride in the same shop bunch as I do. Jimmy is one of the most courteous and conscientious cyclists I know, and the rules of the bunch ARE that we obey the rules of the road.

She's more than capable of handing a bike along that (well known to me) stretch of road, and she'd be more than happy to slap him upside the head as she went by if need be :)
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Postby The Womble » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:24 am

Alright, I'll let him off with a good finger waving
The Womble

Postby goneriding » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:31 am

uncle arthur wrote:Actually - the other cyclist in the picture is his sister, and she and he both ride in the same shop bunch as I do. Jimmy is one of the most courteous and conscientious cyclists I know, and the rules of the bunch ARE that we obey the rules of the road.

She's more than capable of handing a bike along that (well known to me) stretch of road, and she'd be more than happy to slap him upside the head as she went by if need be :)

Fairfield Rd by the looks of it? I always felt a bit exposed riding along there. I even feel safer on Victoria Rd (Syd) in peak hour traffic!
goneriding

Postby leighthebee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:29 pm

I love the comments sections more than the articles.

Gramsy of the real world Posted at 11:22 PM April 12, 2011
Surely at least half those people caught for not wearing a helmet wouldn't be actual cyclists ie. the guys and girls in lycra. I'm not a cyclist myself and when I jump on a bike i don't exactly consider myself a cyclist (but I do wear a helmet).

What are you then?
leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 pm

marissa of Brisbane Posted at 1:47 AM April 13, 2011
The reputation of cyclists is ruined by grown men running around in lycra, guys it is not a good look, I never see anyone riding a bike in say, normal t-shirt and shorts being abused, it's always the lycra clad ones, no grown man should be seen dead in lycra, yuk, yuk yuk!!.

:roll: yuk yuk yuk whie I look look look....
leighthebee

Postby Oxford » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 pm

leighthebee wrote:I love the comments sections more than the articles.

Surely at least half those people caught for not wearing a helmet wouldn't be actual cyclists ie. the guys and girls in lycra. I'm not a cyclist myself and when I jump on a bike i don't exactly consider myself a cyclist (but I do wear a helmet).

What are you then?

A bike rider.

Some people subscribe to the theory that there are cyclists and bike riders (you can be both at different times). Cyclists are generally deemed to be people who cycle for utilitarian reasons ie transport, fitness, etc, they are usually a little more seriously inclined with their equipment or desire to be. Whilst bike riders are people who just do it for social reasons and typically ride BSOs ie they are less serious users of bicycles and are not fussed on what they are riding. Not saying I agree with it, but it is something I've heard about.
Oxford

Postby leighthebee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:45 pm

bev of northside Posted at 5:52 AM April 13, 2011
mr seear forgot to mention how some are riding 3 and 4 a breast taking up the road making it impossible for us car drivers to anything.

Bev is so worked up over the article she's forgotten things like grammar, and words. :D
leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Oxford wrote:
leighthebee wrote:I love the comments sections more than the articles.

What are you then?

A bike rider.

Some people subscribe to the theory that there are cyclists and bike riders (you can be both at different times). Cyclists are generally deemed to be people who cycle for utilitarian reasons ie transport, fitness, etc, they are usually a little more seriously inclined with their equipment or desire to be. Whilst bike riders are people who just do it for social reasons and typically ride BSOs ie they are less serious users of bicycles and are not fussed on what they are riding. Not saying I agree with it, but it is something I've heard about.

I have heard similar, but personally I think they are the same thing. Maybe cyclist should be cycl'ist for cycling enthusiast... :?
leighthebee

Postby Comedian » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:51 pm

I break road rules most every time I board the bike. I also break them every car trip. :shock:
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby leighthebee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Karen Posted at 6:12 AM April 13, 2011
Set up a speed camera on Hoogley St on any Saturday morning and then you'll see how many of them obey the rules.

Damn straight, one of the best parts of the Riverloop..... :mrgreen:
leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Motorist of Today and Beyond of Brisbane Posted at 7:52 AM April 13, 2011
OFf Course cyclists will say they obey the road rules, but if you travel in the early hours in the mornings, cyclist occupy the whole lane where motorists cant pass just have to follow them until they divert other ways. This you call obeying road rules. Nonsense!

Not nonsense. Perfectly legal. Not overly considerate, but legal. If you travel in the early hours of the morning, how long do you think you'd be behind a cyclist until the road was clear to overatake safely? At most I'm guessing 100 metres.... :roll:
leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Matt Davies of Brisbane Posted at 7:52 AM April 13, 2011
Slow news day? Must be since the Courier Mail is dragging out its monthly set piece to stir up the cyclist verses motorist debate. I'm predicting over 200 comments today!
Comment 33 of 147

Only 53 short Matt. :lol:
leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Matt Telos of Brisbane Posted at 7:55 AM April 13, 2011
So many car drivers are killed by cyclists every year -- when will this senseless slaughter stop ?

The Matt's are on fire.... :D
leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:10 pm

Sarah of Alexandra Hills Posted at 8:48 AM April 13, 2011
Just this morning I was travelling along old cleveland road, greenslopes and had to hold back behind a cyclist because he decided to get infront where they had cornered off the cycle lane for construction and then when I could get past him he was still basically in my lane and I had to get in the right lane to get past him, then I had to brake because of lights and he scoots right behind me to the back of my car. The fact that I am a p plater and it sometimes makes it harder to judge when driving with cyclists doesnt help, especially when I'm the one trying to obey road rules and can't because people like them can't follow road rules

Sarah, you've made my head hurt. From what I could understand, your licensing assessor thought you were cute..... :(
leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Joh B of Queensland Posted at 9:13 AM April 13, 2011
Why not make it a policy for when a non-helmet wearing cyclist falls from their bkie, or is hit by a vehicle, that they do not receive any medical treatment for head trauma giving that they knew and accepted the risk they were taking in not wearing a helmet in the first place?

Chances of Joh B (yeah I get it mate hilarious :roll: ) being an overweight smoker...... :wink:

I'll stop now....Better get back to work.....
leighthebee

Postby goneriding » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:45 pm

leighthebee wrote:Karen Posted at 6:12 AM April 13, 2011
Set up a speed camera on Hoogley St on any Saturday morning and then you'll see how many of them obey the rules.

Damn straight, one of the best parts of the Riverloop..... :mrgreen:

+1000
goneriding

Next

Return to Queensland