Commute from Capalaba to City

Commute from Capalaba to City

Postby dungee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:07 am

HI,

I'm looking to commute 2 to 3 days a week from Capalaba to Brisbane, I had a trial return ride on Sunday and got a bit lost around Southbank. Funny I ride a motorbike to work every day and never get lost...

I guess I'm looking for a safe way in and out of the Cycle2City place without getting squashed. I figured I'll come in via Old Cleveland Road to Stones corner, Logan Road, Stanley St and Grey St. Then over the Kurilpa bridge. The return trip maybe via Grey St, Vulture st, Ipswich Road, Logan Rd and Deshon St and home again via Old Cleveland road.

I must admit I find the peak hour traffic a bit daunting on the bicycle. Am I an idiot doing this?

Does anyone do this or similar a trip that may have some advice? I'd love to hear from you.
dungee

by BNA » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:04 am

BNA

Re: Commute from Capalaba to City

Postby waynohh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:04 am

I've never considered any of old cleveland road to be cyclist friendly.
waynohh

Postby MacG10 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:33 am

You could also go up via New Cleveland Road and then via Manly Road, Wynnum Road, Mowbray Park, Story Bridge into the city downhill along Ann Street.

Alternatively you can avoid Old Cleveland by going Grassdale Road, Meadowlands Road, Stanley Road, Macrossan Avenue and back onto Stanley Street East.

I commute both options and vary routes depending on how much time/energy I have.
MacG10

Postby leighthebee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Straight ahead on Old Cleveland road onto o'keefe street and right onto the bikepath just after the freeway overpass which runs all the way into Southbank, over the Goodwill bridge and there'd be an exit up to Kurilpa I imagine (although I've never tried.)

This would bypass most of the traffic.
leighthebee

Postby dungee » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi all, thanks for the advice, you're right about Old Cleveland Road, had a nice hospital stint after being cleaned up on my motorbike there. I ended up taking the grassdale road/Stanley St east route. Was a nice ride, not too many cars, although that may have been due to school holidays starting next week.
Lots of short sharp hills on Stanley street.
Arrived at work alive and exhilarated so maybe I don't need the motorbike anymore, might sell it and buy a second bike with carbon bling everywhere.
dungee

Postby licensed » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:18 pm

I commute to the city (starting at camp hill) from along old cleveland road to O'keefe Street where the bike path starts and takes you all the way into southbank and onto the Goodwill Bridge. It is a good commute after getting onto the bike path. Traffic on Old Cleveland Road at stones corner is a bit of a nightmare but its only for a 300m stretch or so. Just split traffic down the middle ;)
licensed

Return to Queensland