Bikeshop with reasonable rates

Yongkun

Bikeshop with reasonable rates

Postby Yongkun » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:04 am

Not long ago, i was looking for a bikeshop to do up the brake/shifting cable for my bike. I went to the bikeshop over at UQ, and was told that the cost of installation of cables alone is $200, i provided the cables as they came along with my shipped bikes. Thats alot of money for cables job, not suprisingly, i left the shop politely. Haven't really checked out other bikeshops as i managed to fixed them.

Was wondering if any of you guys know any bikeshops with reasonable rates at Tarringa, Toowong or City area?

leighthebee

Re: Bikeshop with reasonable rates

Postby leighthebee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:04 am

Matt (AT) Avantiplus in the Valley has been great for everything I've needed so far

http://www.avantiplus.com.au/thevalley/contact-us

dfc.

Postby dfc. » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:12 pm

It's a little far away but I have always had good service from here:

http://mybikeshop.com.au/

My brother and I have bout four bikes combined there, and never any issues, and also great servicing
Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!

Yongkun

Postby Yongkun » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks mates for your inputs. Well the problem i have is that there are some shops that are not really transparent with their pricing. Well guess its better for me to stop the rantings.

http://mybikeshop.com.au/workshop.php, sure looks good, i like their transparent price schemes.

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm pretty impressed with Fusion cycles. They're friendly, knowledgeable and aren't too expensive.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:09 am

Yongkun wrote:Not long ago, i was looking for a bikeshop to do up the brake/shifting cable for my bike. I went to the bikeshop over at UQ, and was told that the cost of installation of cables alone is $200, i provided the cables as they came along with my shipped bikes. Thats alot of money for cables job, not suprisingly, i left the shop politely. Haven't really checked out other bikeshops as i managed to fixed them.

Was wondering if any of you guys know any bikeshops with reasonable rates at Tarringa, Toowong or City area?
Definitely a DIY job. The only speciality tool you'll need is a proper cable cutter - specifically designed for cutting bike cables - and a little bit of knowledge (there are plenty of sites to show you how - Park Tool, BicycleTutor, etc).

Key points:
- generally shifter & brake outer casings (the plastic tube bit) are different - don't mix them up! There are some 'universal' variants around though but check yours carefully.
- make sure you cut all outers to the same length as the ones already on your bike
- you'll need some cable housing ferrules (little metal or plastic 'ends') and some cable end crimps

Most bike shops will sell you the bits you need (and cable housing in the lengths you need) for reasonable prices.

It is satisfying doing such work on your bike and it will give you the confidence to do any running repairs on the road.

Cheers!
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:39 am

Your other option is to see how much the mobile guy will change to do the job. Perhaps one of the Qld guys can provide details?

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:00 am

goneriding wrote:Your other option is to see how much the mobile guy will change to do the job. Perhaps one of the Qld guys can provide details?
This guy's good (Brisbane):
http://thebicyclerepairman.com.au/

pippy

Postby pippy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:22 am

I'm happy to help out.

Can supply all cables (inner and outer), fittings (donuts, ends, etc) and tune for a small fee. :)

Just doing it for a hobby, but wouldn't mind helping out.

russellgarrard

Postby russellgarrard » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:30 pm

$200 !#%&*()(&^%$$&*& %$&*(*^ $^*(()*%^$#$ *?())(&%$(AT)#(AT)

My local bicycle shop for all cable installation, cutting, tuning etc etc would be about $40 for all. Plus they'd throw in a free chain lube etc. Find a decent bicycle shop who doesn't charge through the nose and just keep going to them. Reminds me, I need to get my junker serviced...they'll do it for $65! I'd tell you who they are but they aren't in Brisbane.

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:41 pm

bendertiger wrote:$200 !#%&*()(&^%$$&*& %$&*(*^ $^*(()*%^$#$ *?())(&%$(AT)#(AT)

My local bicycle shop for all cable installation, cutting, tuning etc etc would be about $40 for all. Plus they'd throw in a free chain lube etc. Find a decent bicycle shop who doesn't charge through the nose and just keep going to them. Reminds me, I need to get my junker serviced...they'll do it for $65! I'd tell you who they are but they aren't in Brisbane.
Being the devil's advocate here... but most bike shops make very little money on bike sales. Much of their income comes from maintenance and the markups on accessories. It still surprises me that so many bike shops do poor maintenance, despite charging a premium. I do all my own maintenance now and I've not looked back.

Yongkun

Postby Yongkun » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:24 pm

Thank you guys for your replies, the mobile man charges is indeed the most reasonable, due to his low overhead costs. :P

Pennyfarthing2010

Postby Pennyfarthing2010 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:07 am

The bicycle repair man David do a good job!! reasonable rates :D