Brisbane to Gold Coast (and back again)

Comedian

Re: Brisbane to Gold Coast (and back again)

Postby Comedian » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:27 pm

brades68 wrote:Hi all, getting close now.
Has anyone found / got some easy to follow directions for return leg that avoid the crappy shoulders and high traffic areas for a non local?

Cheers
Mick
Basically you just go back the way we go down there. You just follow he slip roads back and avoid the diversions. When you get close to the city you take the super duper bike paths that those southsiders have :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:37 pm

I'm seriously thinking about it, having done a 172k ride a while ago (my longest by a big margin) i'm part excited, part dreading it. I'm thinking the same as comedian, i want to put in a good time going down, and if i did i think i'm pretty sceptical about making it back.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

whichway

Postby whichway » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:06 pm

At this time of year, the prevailing wind from mid morning on is a southeaster, so you have a tailwind all the way back to Brisbane. You pretty much don't need to pedal, apart from a couple of hills.

Of course if you are unlucky and get a northeaster, there just find the nearest railway station.

So there is a pretty good plan B

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:29 pm

I've not done the b2GC before but am hoping to do it in 3 hours (or less), not sure if thats gonna happen though. I would like to do the return ride to Cleveland but that depends on how exhausted I am when I get there.

Stoo

Postby Stoo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:14 am

brades68 wrote:Righto, who is keen, or crazy enough, to complete the Brisbane to Gold Coast (100km) and then ride back (80km)?
I'm interested at this stage - and by posting here, should now have the motivation :D :D

Cheers
Mick
I believe that i may that crazy to ride to Goldie and back....have done to dreamworld and back a few times before.
2004 Argon 18 Radon
2012 Argon 18 krypton
2010 Argon 18 Gallium Pro
2013 Argon 18 E-116

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:02 pm

I'm in for riding back, more pleasurable than the packed train I think. Bought a box of gels. It's about another 20km to my place, so 200km total. This is all provided I get out of bed in the morning :p

http://www.probikekit.com/au/hydration- ... of-25.html

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:26 pm

I'll be riding down, having a nice breakfast (ie. normal food), and then riding home afterwards. I've done it a few times already and it is quite pleasant.

The roadwork near Loganlea is going to be interesting. It seems to change from week-to-week. This is really the only hairy spot.
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:59 pm

nitramluap wrote: The roadwork near Loganlea is going to be interesting. It seems to change from week-to-week. This is really the only hairy spot.

Going down won't be too much of a problem due to the volume of riders and marshalls etc.
On the return run it would be better to stay on the eastern side of the M1 all the way up through to Springwood to the bus station then go underneath the M1 and continue up Logan Rd.

The big roundabout down by Ikea is a death trap by late morning on a Sunday.
Lisa

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:39 pm

marinmomma wrote:
nitramluap wrote: The roadwork near Loganlea is going to be interesting. It seems to change from week-to-week. This is really the only hairy spot.

Going down won't be too much of a problem due to the volume of riders and marshalls etc.
On the return run it would be better to stay on the eastern side of the M1 all the way up through to Springwood to the bus station then go underneath the M1 and continue up Logan Rd.

The big roundabout down by Ikea is a death trap by late morning on a Sunday.
Yes, I was referring to the return journey, and yes, the Ikea area is a nightmare but to stay on the eastern side of the M1 is a convoluted journey through suburbia & Rochdale Road. Not much better really!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:54 pm

I guess I ride regularly through this area between Logan and Eight Mile Plains, so for me the eastern run isn't too difficult to navigate, I mainly use the service roads which aren't too bad.

I don't use Rochedale Rd at all but swing under the M1 at the Springwood bus station and then head up Logan Rd back to civilisation :wink:
Lisa

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:05 pm

marinmomma wrote:I guess I ride regularly through this area between Logan and Eight Mile Plains, so for me the eastern run isn't too difficult to navigate, I mainly use the service roads which aren't too bad.

I don't use Rochedale Rd at all but swing under the M1 at the Springwood bus station and then head up Logan Rd back to civilisation :wink:
Do you use Barbarella Drive & Cinderalla Drive then? I've not tried that route but I'm considering it as it will be the middle of the day by the time I'm heading back through there. I'd like to avoid that Ikea roundabout if possible! :shock:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:20 pm

Nope, too hilly, especially at the intersection of Barbarella and Dennis Rd :shock:

We usually ride up behind the Hyperdome on Mandew, into Mungaree by the Nutrimetics building, left into Shailer Rd then in busier times use Daisy Hill Rd then left into Chatswood Rd all the way up to the roundabout for Hall Rd/Barbarella Drive but go straight through and continue on the service road up through Springwood to turn left at the Springwood bus station under the M1 and onto Logan Rd.

hth
Lisa

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:23 pm

That does help, thanks!

See you in a few weeks! :)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:27 pm

nitramluap wrote:That does help, thanks!

See you in a few weeks! :)

No worries, looking forward to the ride, planning on doing a run down to Paradise Point and back to 8MP maybe this weekend if the winds are favourable!
Lisa

themerlin

Brisbane to Gold Coast (and back again)

Postby themerlin » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:56 pm

Is this going to be a group thing ?

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:20 pm

themerlin wrote:Is this going to be a group thing ?
I think it will be hard to co-ordinate a group return ride as we'll all be arriving at different times. I'm pretty sure there will be a stream of cyclists making the return trip though so you'll have company, plus many riders going south will still be riding when many are returning.

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:52 am

This is my route (almost precisely)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:46 pm

nitramluap wrote:This is my route (almost precisely)
Is it definitely rideable parallel to the Bogandome along Bryants, or best to be on the other side of the Pacific?
I was going to go along Pintu.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Crawf wrote:
Is it definitely rideable parallel to the Bogandome along Bryants, or best to be on the other side of the Pacific?

The road out the front is one way so you'd need to use the footpath, (avoid due to glass, speaking from past experience) or use Mandew Street around the back of the 'Dome.

I prefer to use the eastern side of the highway as the western side is a mess with the roadworks from Loganlea through to up past Ikea and also to avoid the mega roundabout outfront of Ikea, lots of heavy traffic by mid morning on Sundays.
Lisa

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Crawf wrote: Is it definitely rideable parallel to the Bogandome along Bryants, or best to be on the other side of the Pacific?
Riding home via South America... now that's impressive :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

nitramluap

Postby nitramluap » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:04 pm

Crawf wrote:
nitramluap wrote:This is my route (almost precisely)
This section might be a bit tricky but I'm going to play it by ear. I just go slowly on the V1 Veloway... ahem... I mean the footpath.. :roll:

The traffic shouldn't be too bad on a Sunday but the ever changing roadworks might cause problems. This section is the only tricky bit really and there are plenty of alternatives. Even though the return journey is 80km, I'm expecting it to take just as long as the trip down due to the crap road environment... :evil:

I'm happy if anyone wants tag along with me. I'll be easy to spot!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:56 am

This time... in a week... should be halfway to the coast. :)

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:33 am

At this early stage we are looking at a Westerly beeze at around 6knts(10kph) at 7am and at 10am we are looking at more SW breeze at about 5 knts. Quite light breezes for the morning although I have been told that as soon as you get near the water from Hope Island onwards one always gets a breeze into the face.

Cheers

Dave

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:44 pm

If the wind is like this mornings there'll be some quick rides down...and not many riding back!
Lisa

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:53 pm

Comedian wrote:
Crawf wrote: Is it definitely rideable parallel to the Bogandome along Bryants, or best to be on the other side of the Pacific?
Riding home via South America... now that's impressive :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
Yep hooked up a mast on the weekend... actually I could be onto something :D :idea: