Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

winstonw

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Inwood wrote:I've never done this ride before but its calling me, calling me... I normally only commute and hate getting up early in the morning, so I was wondering what this ride (just to nebo, not glorious) would be like at night? I figure the road will be very quiet and I have very good lights so will be pretty visible. (My theory is if you have lights, and its really dark, you are more visible compared to driving where there's lots of other light sources around). I think I'd have to mount my extra light that's got a range of 200-400m though, dragging the extra weight up the hill would add to the exercise... Or am I crazy?
I agree with what you are saying re being potentially more visible at night.

But the downside is motorists at night don't 'expect' to see cyclists on that road, they may be more tired, or they may have vision issues that compromise their night vision. The other risk is wildlife. I rode Samford Valley moderately at night when living out there, and owls chasing bugs in strong headlights, plovers congregating on the road, possums wombats and bush rats crossing the road, and tree debris on the road during/after wind, are all risks for rural night riding at speed.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Inwood wrote:I've never done this ride before but its calling me, calling me... I normally only commute and hate getting up early in the morning, so I was wondering what this ride (just to nebo, not glorious) would be like at night? I figure the road will be very quiet and I have very good lights so will be pretty visible. (My theory is if you have lights, and its really dark, you are more visible compared to driving where there's lots of other light sources around). I think I'd have to mount my extra light that's got a range of 200-400m though, dragging the extra weight up the hill would add to the exercise... Or am I crazy?
I'd vote no because with the road being quite windy you'd lose the effect of the good lights for anything coming from behind, especially towards the bottom. As previously mentioned the expectation of cyclists being on the road is morning oriented rather than night.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Mate I wouldn't do it. I understand what you're saying about visibility but night time just introduces so many other chances of failure in other people that you'll depend on even if it's all good for you.

If you normally only commute have you considered doing some longer and faster flat rides first? :)

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:09 pm

I've got bloody good eye-sight as well as Ay-Ups and I'd not ride down the Nebo hills in the dark.

Up maybe in the dark but not down. I don't want to lie down a hillside hoping my EPIRB worked.....
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:52 pm

I guess I'll be responsible and not do it at night then, and get up early one day... It would have been exciting though :) Although I have to say, there's things much more powerful than ay-ups (although not as convenient). Practically, I wouldn't be able to use my bright lights because switching them down to avoid blinding oncoming traffic would be too slow and dangerous on a descent...

Purt

Postby Purt » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:14 pm

If I had decent lights I'd be so up for it. Would be !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! loads of fun, although I wouldn't even think about it if it was my first time riding nebo, that's just asking for trouble.

showtime? really mods? come on....

notwal

Postby notwal » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:48 pm

I don't think it would be too dangerous with GOOD lights. You'd just have to take it easy and watch out for stuff on the road.

I did the Goat Track today for the first time and its just as Zep and Purt say. The sign says 10% gradient and that seems about right - not too steep.
You can't go fast on a roady though because the back wheel slips all over the place on the loose surface. You couldn't get up there in a car because half the road's washed away in a couple of places. No sign of fairies.

Now I must try ascending via Mt Glorious Rd.
judged, insulted, gone

Purt

Postby Purt » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:47 pm

notwal wrote:I did the Goat Track today
Abit of news about it in this weeks Samford Village Pump:
Council engineers and external consultants are still working through the minefield of issues relating to the goat track and I will be meeting again with officers shortly to gain an up to date assessment on the track. The value of this road in times of emergency is also well understood.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Purt wrote:
notwal wrote:I did the Goat Track today
Abit of news about it in this weeks Samford Village Pump:
Council engineers and external consultants are still working through the minefield of issues relating to the goat track and I will be meeting again with officers shortly to gain an up to date assessment on the track. The value of this road in times of emergency is also well understood.
Will be interesting to see how quickly this really happens given that Mt Mee Road is still down to 1 lane in 2 places (rode up there today).
I would have thought that this road would be more important to get sorted than the GT.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:20 pm

I have mates in the LGA covering the GT. I don't ever expect it to be open to vehicles again.
The population does not warrant the $s.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:22 pm

I'm finally about to do this ride (fingers crossed) on the last sunday of this month. My brother lives in Enoggera so that seems a good place to start. As i am nervous on fast descents i'm thinking of riding up Mt Glorious from Samford (i am going down there to feel some pain after all :) ), what is the rest of the ride like in terms of descending? I drove up through the gap to Jolly's lookout a while ago but can't remember it well enough to guess what it would be like going down it on the bike.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Purt

Postby Purt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:57 am

Just basically rolling hills the whole way back to the gap. Nothing to steep really. If you haven't done it before just brake early for the corners.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:09 am

ldrcycles wrote:As i am nervous on fast descents i'm thinking of riding up Mt Glorious from Samford (i am going down there to feel some pain after all :) ), what is the rest of the ride like in terms of descending? I drove up through the gap to Jolly's lookout a while ago but can't remember it well enough to guess what it would be like going down it on the bike.
Nebo to the Gap is not an issue, as the previous guy said just rolling hills.
However, Samford to Glorious on Mt Glorious Rd, you better be confident your gearing can get you up 15%+ for 1.5km.
The earlier you start the better. I haven't been up Glorious Rd for some months but they only had one lane open last time and auto traffic lights. As I was coming down through the one lane with a green light, some idiot in a council car was coming up who had obviously gone through a red light. So play it extra safe.

Purt

Postby Purt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:53 am

PawPaw wrote:
ldrcycles wrote: I haven't been up Glorious Rd for some months but they only had one lane open last time and auto traffic lights. As I was coming down through the one lane with a green light, some idiot in a council car was coming up who had obviously gone through a red light. So play it extra safe.
Yeah it's still there. Also the light sequence isn't long enough for a rider to get across. So the other cars start coming down just before you get through. I usually leave a bit early while the lights still red so I get through just on time. Pretty major flaw.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, i'm going to be setting off from Enoggera around 5am, and i'm running 53-39 with an 11-32 cassette, if that isn't enough then i need to stop being lazy :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:58 am

ldrcycles wrote:I'm finally about to do this ride (fingers crossed) on the last sunday of this month. My brother lives in Enoggera so that seems a good place to start. As i am nervous on fast descents i'm thinking of riding up Mt Glorious from Samford (i am going down there to feel some pain after all :) ), what is the rest of the ride like in terms of descending? I drove up through the gap to Jolly's lookout a while ago but can't remember it well enough to guess what it would be like going down it on the bike.
Mt Glorious Road from Samford to Mt Glorious is extremely steep and constant.
Too steep for me.
Riding up the scenic road from Ashgrove/The Gap is far more popular.
Thi is challenging enough for most mortals.
Another option is to climb via Samford and turn off the Mt Glorious Rd after several kilometers before the steep bit and complete the climb on the alternative unsealed road called the Goat track.
This is surprisingly easy and pleasant but there is one or two sections where it is necessary to carry or push bike over some boulders which are the result of landslides one yr ago. This of course closed the road to cars.
The descent from Mt Nebo to The Gap is a fast one but care is needed as the road is narrow and some corners DO require judicious application of brakes !!! :shock:

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:37 am

elantra wrote: Goat track.
This is surprisingly easy and pleasant but there is one or two sections where it is necessary to carry or push bike over some boulders which are the result of landslides one yr ago.
I went up it for the first time a few weeks ago, it's pretty great. Way more fun than the other ways up. No boulders that I saw, but there were a few sketchy sections.

When descending nebo just keep an eye out for the yellow "slow 40" or whatever speed signs - I think all the sharper corners are signed with these.

molly

Postby molly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 pm

I attempted Mt Nebo at like 4am Christmas Day. Bummed to say I only made it to Mcafee lookout (I think its about 10kms from the top - can anyone confirm/deny distance?) Not making excuses but poor food prep and the initial ride (from chapel hill) to the start did not help. I really needed my 28t cog on the rear (derailleur cant reach it since I changed the rear wheel). Broke a toe clip on the way home too.

Going to attempt it again with clipless pedals and a spoonful of concrete sometime soon.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:08 pm

molly wrote:I attempted Mt Nebo at like 4am Christmas Day. Bummed to say I only made it to Mcafee lookout (I think its about 10kms from the top - can anyone confirm/deny distance?)
you wussed out too soon, worst of the climbing is over by then! Mostly rolling hills from there to the top. It is about another 10km or so from there though I think.

notwal

Postby notwal » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:00 am

The first time I went up there I turned around at Macafee's too, after a few recovery stops on the way. I didn't realise that the hard part was done. There's more to come of course but you get lots of downhills to ease the pain :).

Just checked. Jolly's Lookout is 9.6 km past Macafee's. Mt Neebo Post office and first cafe is 2 km further. A bit further on, off the road to the right, is Mt Nebo School where you can fill your water bottle. Some of us like to carry only a tiny bit of water up the hill. It's all weight. There's another cafe a bit further on up to the left.
judged, insulted, gone

molly

Postby molly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:43 am

Now I am really bummed about it, knowing that the worse was over :(

I am thinking of attempting it on again soon so what is the actual "top" the first cafe? or Jolly's Lookout?

notwal

Postby notwal » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:08 pm

I think the cafe is the natural turn around point. Its a tad higher than Jollys.
judged, insulted, gone

heanous

Postby heanous » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:57 pm

molly wrote:Now I am really bummed about it, knowing that the worse was over :(

I am thinking of attempting it on again soon so what is the actual "top" the first cafe? or Jolly's Lookout?
Go to Jollys this week and to the cafe next week :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:24 pm

molly wrote:Now I am really bummed about it, knowing that the worse was over :(

The second cafe. Don't believe the first cafe's claims to have the best scones in Australia - they are not by a long way...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

whichway

Postby whichway » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:21 pm

If you're going to Jolly's, might as well just do one more hill and get to the Cafe.

Turning around at Jolly's is a bit like getting to 97 in cricket and declaring because you want to have lunch.

Regards

David

(PS Its not all down hill from Jolly's - There's probably about 400m climbing between Mt Nebo and the Gap on the way down).