Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Abby

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby Abby » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:23 pm

FYI all - this Sunday, Planet Cycles are doing a shop ride: the Nebo-Glorious-Samford loop. Start time is at 6am at the shop (Woolloongabba 5-ways).

Further details/info - see the "Planet Cycles Rider" Facebook page. I have ridden with them a number of times before on their Saturday shop rides (Wynnum loop). They are super-friendly, and very well organised.

I've never done Nebo/Glorious before, so I'm thinking of tagging along for a crack at it. Just thought I'd let everyone know in case anyone else wants to give it a crack. I am pretty much the complete opposite of a hill climber, so you'll almost certainly not be the slowest person there... ;)

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:03 pm

I was just about to ask if anyone was actually keen for doing the Mt Mee ride on Sunday haha.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Hmm...got stuff happening on Sunday arvo (so I'm told)...what time do you reckon on returning?

Saturday is free for me, but I guess lots of people will be racing instead?
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I was just about to ask if anyone was actually keen for doing the Mt Mee ride on Sunday haha.
Yep maybe.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:10 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Hmm...got stuff happening on Sunday arvo (so I'm told)...what time do you reckon on returning?
Define arvo :P Not sure of times as everyone would have different speeds (City-Dayboro would most likely be as a group due to it being pretty flat to Petrie. Mt Mee should be closed space as its a gradual climb. Mt Mee to Dayboro will be in a group/close spacing as its downhill. Dayboro - Clear Mountain would be grouped/single file for safety. Some might drop off along the Clear Mountain climbs. Clear Mountain/Eatons Crossing Road - City is downhill/flat so it should be as a group/closed spacing), any meeting/catch up points along the way, lunch etc but I've been generous on some of the sector times.
~60-70 minutes City - Petrie
~35-40 minutes Petrie - Dayboro
~60-70 minutes Dayboro - Mt Mee
~30 mins Mt Mee loop via Cambells Pocket/Pedwell Road
~30 mins Mt Mee - Dayboro
~90-110 minutes Dayboro - Bald Hills via Clear Mountain (depending on how people go at hitting up Clear Mountain)
60-90 Minutes Bald Hills - Bowen Hills depending on the route taken ie Sandgate Road or via Kedron Brook Bikeway. If its tight for time you could jump on a train at Bald Hills to the City which is about 35 mins to Roma Street or use the park and ride at Bald Hills or Carseldine railway stations)

If there are numbers maybe we could also have a couple post ride beers/something to eat at South Bank.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:15 pm

Hmm...I *may* have negotiated a leave pass. Will keep you posted! :)
Veloviewer

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:20 am

I am a maybe for this one guys, was thinking on doing the Planet Ride but the Mt Mee ride sounds great.

ratix

Postby ratix » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Anyone record their ride on strava from the last meet up?

Pax

Postby Pax » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:41 pm

I won't be there...too much wedding prep to do, but you will ride past the scene of the wedding (Glengareth Winery on Mt Mee).

Might be a bit wet for you :cry:

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:18 am

ratix wrote:Anyone record their ride on strava from the last meet up?
Here is the ride from last time, I rode to the meet up point at the servo from Hawthorne.
http://app.strava.com/activities/60599515

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:46 am

I'm out unfortunately - can't get that much time away this weekend. Enjoy.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:38 am

I think I'm in. *Slightly* concerned about how my still-not-100% left leg will hold up, particularly if the flat ground pace is hot (cos I'm not a flatland speed machine at the best of times), but if it looks to be a problem I guess I can peel off.

Is it supposed to be a little bit of rain, or horrible on Sunday?
Veloviewer

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:41 pm

IIRC its supposed to be clear/cloudy morning developing into showers in the afternoon and continuing until Wednesday?

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Okay, doesn't sound too bad. Are we meeting in Southbank?
Veloviewer

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:13 am

Southbank sounds good. Where abouts and what time should we meet up at Southbank? The West End side of the Goodwill Bridge with a 6.30 departure?

So how many are confirmed as going? There's 4 of us showing interest. I'll be there most likely on my squeaky Merida if its raining :P

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 am

Sounds alright to me. I'll drive in and park at work I think. No wet weather bike for me, just more cleaning to do afterwards...
Veloviewer

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:46 am

I'll be there unless its very wet.

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:26 am

I am IN, weather permitting. If it's too wet I am going to Daisy Hill on the MTB

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:21 pm

I did Nebo-Glorious today. Nearly didn't go (the weatherman PROMISED sunshine, bloody liar) but glad I did. I've had a week and a half off the bike, and the past two months (since I started having hip/glute/leg issues) have been pretty crappy - either off the bike completely or unable to push as I'd like. Fitness has consequently dropped a lot since early May... I still haven't managed to get my left glute/ham/hip flexor sorted yet, so the fun was slightly less than it would otherwise have been, but it was a really nice ride nonetheless. The wet weather meant hardly any motorbikes were out, so it was quite peaceful up there (except for one moron in a Golf R nailing it past me in a divided traffic bit between Glorious and Nebo). Fog on Glorious was a little concerning though.

Finished it up with Coot Tha - oh my god, time to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiie! Got cramp in crappy left leg at the bottom, then just suffered all the way up. The back took me about 5 minutes longer than normal, and my HR was going mental - average for the segment of 208, max 223. I must have been showing it cos two people passed me (one on a full sus MTB) and both of them asked if I was okay. :lol: So if that was anybody here, thanks for your concern.

Anyway, overall I had a really good time. Might do it again next weekend, hopefully with a bit more fitness and a little less pain at the end. :oops:
Veloviewer

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Just a question about Nebo. Is there a bike lane / is it safe to bike on Waterworks Rd via Payne Rd? I'm planning to go through school road, but not sure how heavy traffic is on the end of Waterworks.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Early mornings on the weekend its pretty quiet but outside that time its always been pretty busy for me.

gbossley

Postby gbossley » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Mt Nebo is, for me, always tough. If I get home without cramp I've had a good ride. Ken to try it on me new steed.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Shpox wrote:Just a question about Nebo. Is there a bike lane / is it safe to bike on Waterworks Rd via Payne Rd? I'm planning to go through school road, but not sure how heavy traffic is on the end of Waterworks.
The end of waterworks is much quieter, it goes down to 1 lane each way at settlement road and is quiter from there on. Plus its a very wide single lane.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks mate. Looks like a street on Google maps. Will give it a go tomorow.

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm in Brisbane for work next week. Given its a public holiday on Wednesday are there any group rides that go up Nebo on the public holiday? Otherwise, does anyone have any routes to share from the CBD? Given its a solo ride would like to avoid really busy roads, plus I'm not familiar with Brisbane at all.